Guns in America

MichaelWeston

I am certain he's not referring to innocent victims of gun violence, of which there are indeed many.

Of course he isn't, but then his flip comment does nothing to address, and serves to diminish the sheer insanity of the firearms policy in this country.

'Course my flip comment wasn't exactly thought-provoking either, so there you go... 

Of course he isn't, but then his flip comment does nothing to address, and serves to diminish the sheer insanity of the firearms policy in this country.

'Course my flip comment wasn't exactly thought-provoking either, so there you go... 

It's a really tetchy issue. Sometimes there's even logical arguments from both sides, but not often.

That logic is absurd. Cars serve an actual purpose in the world.

Well, so do guns: Killing people

Some people need killing.

Even though you were being sarcastic, I was agreeing with what you actually said. A lot of bad people have been stopped using guns. A lot of good people have been saved because of guns. Guns are a tool and in general their intended purpose is to kill, either animals or other people. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes it isn't.

Considering the number of school children who have been gunned down recently, that statement makes me curious of your criteria... :mellow:

The insanity is in our policy of ignoring the mentally ill, or treating them with happy pills and turning them loose in society. The insanity is having gun free zones where it's like shooting fish in a barrel for the insane.The insanity is in being expected to hand your right and ability to defend yourself and your family over to a corrupt, incompetent government that can't possibly defend you all the time, or even very much of the time even if it wanted to. The insanity is that it might not even want to, and it might be them that you need to defend yourself against, yet you're expected to quietly submit to the loss of your rights and freedom, because sadly a couple of crazies shot some kids.

To be clear, anti gun people do not have a morally superior position on this. You don't have any more sorrow in your heart for innocent lives lost than people like me. It's people who think like me that will risk our own lives to save yours, or your wife's, or your kid's, and any time one of these crazies is stopped, it's by someone who thinks more like me than those of you who want more gun control.

Just want to add, I most likely won't respond more to this thread, it never ends well and won't accomplish anything, so don't anyone take my lack of a response as a sign of defeat on the topic. I'm not trying to win a debate. Over the years I've been clear on what I think about the subject, so whether you think I'm a fool, or whether you agree, doesn't matter to me.

"I only want to kill people who deserve to die."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEFj0Pngu_E

Seriously though, many people here aren't anti-gun.  We are pro-regulation.  Some people deserve to have their guns taken away, most do not.

"Are you really going to take both of those spots ?"

That movie should be required watching for everyone. Especially those douchebags that think it's ok to use two parking spots...

I am in the pro-enforcement group or even better definition, pro-reform of the court system to provide for proper adherence to the laws.

Some people need killing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gYZLKqGhSZs

This post reminded me of Chris Rock's skit this weekend, "...I come home and I check my website and there is all these threats on there, 'I'ma kill you, I will slice your throat....don't you dare come between me and my weapon'.... and I realize.... Oh my God...I need gun..."

:lol:

Just want to add, I most likely won't respond more to this thread, it never ends well and won't accomplish anything, so don't anyone take my lack of a response as a sign of defeat on the topic. I'm not trying to win a debate. Over the years I've been clear on what I think about the subject, so whether you think I'm a fool, or whether you agree, doesn't matter to me.

Well if that's the case, let's just hang out and shoot guns...

Flocko ---> Backer-Guns_zpsmiqype7u.gif <--- Backer

I know we are freaked out by Ebola, but Guns are the real epidemic in America.  83 people die a day from gun violence. One single day. And this was 20 months ago. 

"If Americans misbehaved on Jan. 15, 2013, as they typically do, then there were 30 gun-related murders and 162 people wounded by firearms in the country, based on the most recent figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. On top of that, another 53 people kill themselves with a firearm each day, according to the CDC."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/16/murders-shootings-and-gun-sales-per-day_n_2488664.html

If we are going to freak out about things like Ebola, shouldn't we start worrying more about gun deaths?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/10/25/the-fear-about-things-that-won-t-kill-us-is-killing-us.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-weisser/guns-nra-doctors_b_5939384.html

When gun control laws pass, only criminals have guns.

Evidence:  The cities with the toughest gun control laws have the most violent crime.

Evidence:  The cities with the toughest gun control laws have the most violent crime.

And yet when you look at countries with tougher laws where citizens can't simply go to the next city to buy the gun related violence is much much lower

Evidence indeed

Do you have a link to that, because I am sure entire countries like in Europe and Vietnam for instance would disagree with you. 

Per wikipedia:

"Finns have the fourth most firearms in the world per capita (right after United StatesYemenSwitzerland) totalling 1.62 million registered privately owned firearms and 10,000–20,000 unregistered firearms.[2] Gun related homicides are rare, comprising 14% of the total number of homicides,[3] which is comparatively low."

I could probably find a stat to prove anybody's point.

I don't have a problem with people who want a gun or guns for protection. I have issues with the people who do things like post pictures of their guns or have a gun for every day of the week. A gun should be a necessary tool, not a status symbol or a way of expressing yourself. You'll never convince me you need a 30 clip magazine.

What if you have 30 bad guys coming at you at one time?

I think we should be allowed to own tanks, seriously.

You laugh. I actually know someone that owns a tank. The main armament has been deactivated but actually has a fully functional class 3 50 cal on top. Damn them bastards who limit us to puny guns and take away our rights to the good stuff... :ninja:

From Washington, DC: 

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/27347523/emily-miller-dc-gun-carry-permit

WASHINGTON -I am a registered gun owner, but I feel that I'm in more danger on the streets of Washington, D.C. than inside my home. So when D.C. recently passed a new law allowing for some rights to carry a gun outside the home, I decided to apply for a permit. I quickly found that it is still impossible to exercise my Second Amendment right to bear arms. 

Until July, Washington, D.C. was the only place in the country did not allow for any right to carry a gun outside the home. A federal district court judge ruled in the Palmer case that the total ban was unconstitutional. 

The D.C. attorney general said last week that the city will appeal the ruling. While the issue goes through the courts, the Metropolitan Police Department has started giving out applications, so I went to the firearms registration office to start the process. 

Milton Agurs, a civilian police department employee was at the front desk. I told him why I was there. 

“You need to meet two criteria,” Agurs explained. “First that your life is in danger, your family or your property, or you have the type of business you carry large sums of money, jewelry. Under those circumstances, you can get a carry permit in DC.”

• 4 months later...

Archived