Guns in America

MichaelWeston

And we're back to blaming the victim.. How predictable.  My reservations re: CCW are no secret but this idea that one can simply avoid anyplace dangerous is some ridiculous fairytale bullshit.  Somewhere between Fantasyland and angry dickweeds patrolling their subdivision with a massive chip on their shoulder lies a reasonable compromise.

You're more likely to shoot yourself or your family with your ccw. Trouble can find you anywhere. The likelihood of it happening rises and falls based on the situations you put yourself in.

Your thoughts in here are so devoid of logic its utterly frustrating. You're all emotion and no reasonable thought.

You're more likely to shoot yourself or your family with your ccw.

Source? Pretty sure you're citing handgun stats and not CCW specifically.  I'm guessing the numbers are much different when you can't lump murder/suicide in with accidental shootings.

On the subject of "reasonable thought", you're also less likely to die in a car wreck if you avoid interstates and never go over 35mph.  I mean congrats on living in Mayberry but for a small business owner making a night deposit or a woman with a stalker your good intentions aren't going to cut it.  I suppose we should all stay inside and have our food delivered through a slot in the door..

You're more likely to shoot yourself or your family with your ccw. 

When I first read this early this AM at zero-dark-30 with the small type font and eyes still scuzzy from sleep, I thought it said

You're more likely to shoot yourself or your family with your cow.

Interesting thought.

Attempted mooder?

Carry on... carry on...   :popcorn:

Source? Pretty sure you're citing handgun stats and not CCW specifically.  I'm guessing the numbers are much different when you can't lump murder/suicide in with accidental shootings.

On the subject of "reasonable thought", you're also less likely to die in a car wreck if you avoid interstates and never go over 35mph.  I mean congrats on living in Mayberry but for a small business owner making a night deposit or a woman with a stalker your good intentions aren't going to cut it.  I suppose we should all stay inside and have our food delivered through a slot in the door..

There are more bears in Ohio now than ever. Don't forget your bear repellant.

You're not following this well. You go to these outlandish straw men and hyperbolic statements to make your arguments and ignore real facts.

You can avoid crime and altercations with the police pretty easily. Is it a sure thing? Of course not. If someone runs up to me tonight and shoots me that would be an out of this world crazy thing to happen. You can't live your life prepared for the minuscule chance a crazy thing happens. But you don't have to live it in drama either.

People do bad things.

People use guns to do bad things.

People without guns use ball bats, their hands or almost anything to do bad things.

I guess I would rather spend the $$$ on why people do bad things and fix that.

The next time someone takes a ball bat and wipes a bunch of 6 year olds off the face of the planet

or wipes out a movie theater full of people, or commits suicide, or ect,  it will be the first time.

^ Pretty sure someone else developed a palmprint system years ago that did the same thing.  Unfortunately it wasn't 100% reliable & nobody is going to buy a handgun that might not work because your palm's sweaty or your finger wasn't placed exactly right.

People do bad things.

People use guns to do bad things.

People without guns use ball bats, their hands or almost anything to do bad things.

I guess I would rather spend the $$$ on why people do bad things and fix that.

The problem with that thinking is that guns were DESIGNED to do bad things, and even when not being purposefully used for doing bad things generally results in a bad thing and often a fatal thing. We can regulate cars, which occasionally do bad things, but are designed for good things, but we shouldn't regulate guns?

The problem with that thinking is that guns were DESIGNED to do bad things, and even when not being purposefully used for doing bad things generally results in a bad thing and often a fatal thing. We can regulate cars, which occasionally do bad things, but are designed for good things, but we shouldn't regulate guns?

Excellent...

The next time someone takes a ball bat and wipes a bunch of 6 year olds off the face of the planet

or wipes out a movie theater full of people, or commits suicide, or ect,  it will be the first time.

Old and Kenny...I understand completely what you guys are saying.   And I have never been of the opinion that regulation, make owners take training or anything else to make guns safer is a bad thing.

I have thought about this issue for years wavering back and forth.  Here is what I really wonder...why here in America have we went from a nation that probably had guns in every home in the country but rarely committed heinous acts of violence to a nation where it seems to happen more frequently?

Sure, people use guns to kill because they are easy to get and damn efficient.  If I thought for one minute that if I snapped my finger and every gun in America would disappear and it eliminate all murders, all suicide, or all heinous acts of violence...I would snap my fingers this very instance.  But I guess I just don't believe it.  It might slow these things down at least for a while but I don't think it stops it.  And I want it stopped.

There have been a few times in my life I have been furious... mad enough to bust someone in the mouth....but never have I thought about killing someone.  Many years ago I went thru some bad times...depressed, got divorced, etc but never once did I think about suicide.  I know folks who have lost every possession but never once did they rob or steal.

I understand that folks have strong feelings about guns both pros and cons.  I get it.  I guess I am more interested in why people behave the way do.  I think ultimately that is how we eliminate these things.

Old and Kenny...I understand completely what you guys are saying.   And I have never been of the opinion that regulation, make owners take training or anything else to make guns safer is a bad thing.

I have thought about this issue for years wavering back and forth.  Here is what I really wonder...why here in America have we went from a nation that probably had guns in every home in the country but rarely committed heinous acts of violence to a nation where it seems to happen more frequently?

Sure, people use guns to kill because they are easy to get and damn efficient.  If I thought for one minute that if I snapped my finger and every gun in America would disappear and it eliminate all murders, all suicide, or all heinous acts of violence...I would snap my fingers this very instance.  But I guess I just don't believe it.  It might slow these things down at least for a while but I don't think it stops it.  And I want it stopped.

There have been a few times in my life I have been furious... mad enough to bust someone in the mouth....but never have I thought about killing someone.  Many years ago I went thru some bad times...depressed, got divorced, etc but never once did I think about suicide.  I know folks who have lost every possession but never once did they rob or steal.

I understand that folks have strong feelings about guns both pros and cons.  I get it.  I guess I am more interested in why people behave the way do.  I think ultimately that is how we eliminate these things.

You pose a goddamn good question, and I have no answer for you.... 

Completely agree.

I think gun crime isn't up its just more in our face. There is a large population that loves there guns more than other people's safety. That's sad. And very selfish.

There is a large population that loves there guns more than other people's safety. That's sad. And very selfish.

Quite the opposite actually. I would never try to tell any of you that your wife, girlfriend, mother, daughter, sister, even you yourself aren't allowed to legally possess the tool that is most effective against people who wish to do you harm. The whole point of advocating for the right of the people to keep and bear arms is concern for their safety. That's not selfish. It's common sense.

Do you drive around in your car with a helmet on? Do you have your wife and your family all wear helmets when driving? You are much more likely to in a car accident then a shooting. 

Quite the opposite actually. I would never try to tell any of you that your wife, girlfriend, mother, daughter, sister, even you yourself aren't allowed to legally possess the tool that is most effective against people who wish to do you harm. The whole point of advocating for the right of the people to keep and bear arms is concern for their safety. That's not selfish. It's common sense.

Are there statistics that show you are more safe by having a gun?

Do you drive around in your car with a helmet on? Do you have your wife and your family all wear helmets when driving? You are much more likely to in a car accident then a shooting. 

Are there statistics that show you are more safe by having a gun?

But driving around in a helmet doesn't make you feel cool, or powerful.. If fact, while probably doing more to protect your family from harm than owning a gun, it will at the same time make you look like a bunch of dorks.

sad truth

I had to take a gun safety course to get a hunting license as a minor. That should probably be extended to adults as well. Requiring insurance for a CCW permit would be good. I also think those should be need-based.

People seem to trip more on open carry for some reason but I'd prefer to know who is packing if we're going to let every schmuck on the street walk around armed. I would also be ok with paramilitary shit being classed differently. A gun meant to kill lots of people quickly should probably be treated more cautiously than hunting arms and handguns.

Fact is though that passing even the most moderate gun regulation right now is impossible, at least on a federal level. Did anyone sue Sandy Hook kid's Mom for giving her depressed, autistic son access to an AR-15? I think civil suits are going to be the catalyst for any laws getting changed.

I had to take a gun safety course to get a hunting license as a minor. That should probably be extended to adults as well. Requiring insurance for a CCW permit would be good. I also think those should be need-based.

People seem to trip more on open carry for some reason but I'd prefer to know who is packing if we're going to let every schmuck on the street walk around armed. I would also be ok with paramilitary shit being classed differently. A gun meant to kill lots of people quickly should probably be treated more cautiously than hunting arms and handguns.

Fact is though that passing even the most moderate gun regulation right now is impossible, at least on a federal level. Did anyone sue Sandy Hook kid's Mom for giving her depressed, autistic son access to an AR-15? I think civil suits are going to be the catalyst for any laws getting changed.

They couldn't sue the mom, he killed her first.

They couldn't sue the mom, he killed her first.

Ah. Yes that would be a difficult case to win. Better call Saul.

Still, I wonder how many accidental shootings end in a negligent homicide conviction?

And Jimmy plead for mercy because he was an orphan.

:rsju31uh9:

Had to know that one was coming.

Continue...   :popcorn:

Archived