Guns in America

MichaelWeston

I lived in Germany for 3 years.  Its about 99% white, 0% jewish and has almost ZERO diversity.  The people there are VERY Nationalistic and their political leaders are held to a VERY HIGH standard.  There is no way on earth I would trust our current crop of political scum to properly spend 49% of my money.   Oh, the Germans really don't like outsiders either and if you think you can show up as an immigrant and collect welfare payments, perish the thought.  They will kick you out of the country in a millisecond. 

Now I will grant you that I havent lived there since the right before the wall came down, but I had more issues with the Turks that lived in Nurenberg than the Germans. (In fact it isnt that uncommon for their women to be dating our military men)

I lived in Germany for 3 years.  Its about 98% white, 0% jewish and has almost ZERO diversity.  The people there are VERY Nationalistic and their political leaders are held to a VERY HIGH standard.  There is no way on earth I would trust our current crop of political scum to properly spend 49% of my money.   Oh, they really don't like outsiders. 

Not really sure what the rest of what you posted had to do with taxation but you're dead on in regard to the high expectations, and the demand for accountability of their public officials. They also have stringent consumer protection laws and tend to put the interests of the citizenry ahead of those of corporations. In fact, one finds this in many European countries. Unless we start demanding accountability from our representatives, things here will never change. Please note I'm not holding my breath, either.

And as for not "liking outsiders", did you live there serving in the military or as a civilian? 

Not really sure what the rest of what you posted had to do with taxation but you're dead on in regard to the high expectations, and the demand for accountability of their public officials. They also have stringent consumer protection laws and tend to put the interests of the citizenry ahead of those of corporations. In fact, one finds this in many European countries. Unless we start demanding accountability from our representatives, things here will never change. Please note I'm not holding my breath, either.

And as for not "liking outsiders", did you live there serving in the military or as a civilian? 

Basically, Germany has very few "special interest groups" unlike this country.  The result here has been both political parties spend a majority of their time catering to these special interest groups (voting blocs) with the promise of rainbows and unicorns which typically require tax payer monies.   Keep in mind their thought process is quite a bit different than ours since their country was literally obliterated less than 80 years ago but that narrative is slowly drifting away.

I served in Germany but lived in town.  Made  lot of German friends and over a few beers they would open up to you.  They appreciated the fact that we stopped the Russians from taking over the entire country and understood why we were there.  Went on a lot of training exercises with German soldiers.   The people are a tired of being linked to mass murder since the overwhelming majority of them were not alive during WWII but they understand the reasoning.  They are a very proud and UNITED people unlike our country.  Don't kid your self, the nationalism that Hitler inspired the people to act on NEVER left them.  Granted, they are not going to pull another Adolf but they wouldn't hesitate to defend themselves in a violent manner. 

Their immigration policy is very straightforward:  They allow immigrants that fulfill a true need and they do have a path to citizenship however it is lengthy.  You must maintain employment to stay there.   Illegals are deported...period..unless they are extenuating circumstances which are rare.

Basically, Germany has very few "special interest groups" unlike this country.  The result here has been both political parties spend a majority of their time catering to these special interest groups (voting blocs) with the promise of rainbows and unicorns which typically require tax payer monies.   Keep in mind their thought process is quite a bit different than ours since their country was literally obliterated less than 80 years ago but that narrative is slowly drifting away.

I served in Germany but lived in town.  Made  lot of German friends and over a few beers they would open up to you.  They appreciated the fact that we stopped the Russians from taking over the entire country and understood why we were there.  Went on a lot of training exercises with German soldiers.   The people are a tired of being linked to mass murder since the overwhelming majority of them were not alive during WWII but they understand the reasoning.  They are a very proud and UNITED people unlike our country.

Their immigration policy is very straightforward:  They allow immigrants that fulfill a true need and they do have a path to citizenship however it is lengthy.  You must maintain employment to stay there.   Illegals are deported...period..unless they are extenuating circumstances which are rare.

Actually well-versed in their immigration/emigration policies as well as their economic and health policies; have friends living there, hosted exchange students from there, etc.

Now, let's see how their economic policy changes after Greece takes a shit in the EU punch bowl... 

Actually well-versed in their immigration/emigration policies as well as their economic and health policies; have friends living there, hosted exchange students from there, etc.

Now, let's see how their economic policy changes after Greece takes a shit in the EU punch bowl... 

Its going to be interesting.  They are the grown ups in this discussion and I think the best thing that can happen to Greece is they leave the EU.  The reality is Greece NEVER qualified for entrance into the EU based on the requirements but were let in anyways due to historic reasons and proximity.   Greece will never be in a position to pay off that much debt and continued austerity isn't going to fix anything while throwing money at them won't fix the underlying problems either.  

The cold hard fact is Greeks don't like to work hard and expect way too much from their government.  It was something they got away with for a long time but as their Baby Boomers began to retire, there was NO way the younger generations could support the promises they made to themselves.  Furthermore, knowing this, many older Greeks refused to retire which hurt the younger generations.

Regardless, the Germans could go back to printing D-Marks tomorrow and it wouldn't hurt them much.  They are not the ones who owe Euros to most of the world and they have a solid economy.

Funny that it comes out that you typed those words under your own posting ...

[font='Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Women in the United States are [/size][/font]11 times more likely[font='Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]to be murdered with guns than women in other high-income countries. The presence of a firearm during a domestic violence incident [/size][/font]increases the likelihood of a homicide[font='Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] by 500 percent. Guns are also regularly used in non-fatal incidents of domestic violence, with researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health concluding in a study from 2000 that “hostile gun displays against family members may be more common than gun use in self-defense, and that hostile gun displays are often acts of domestic violence directed against women.”[/size][/font]

I'm sure the family of the woman in this story would have preferred that this domestic disturbance would have resulted in a death by firearm - or perhaps the presence of said firearm would have prevented any violence at all.

Its going to be interesting.  They are the grown ups in this discussion and I think the best thing that can happen to Greece is they leave the EU.  The reality is Greece NEVER qualified for entrance into the EU based on the requirements but were let in anyways due to historic retasons and proximity.   Greece will never be in a position to pay off that much debt and continued austerity isn't going to fix anything while throwing money at them won't fix the underlying problems either.  

The cold hard fact is Greeks don't like to work hard and expect way too much from their government.  It was something they got away with for a long time but as their Baby Boomers began to retire, there was NO way the younger generations could support the promises they made to themselves.  Furthermore, knowing this, many older Greeks refused to retire which hurt the younger generations.

Regardless, the Germans could go back to printing D-Marks tomorrow and it wouldn't hurt them much.  They are not the ones who owe Euros to most of the world and they have a solid economy.

Imagine that the Germans and the Greeks were all part of a single country with nationalistic hard-working people supporting people who "don't work very hard and expect too much from their government". What a mess that would be!

Imagine that the Germans and the Greeks were all part of a single country with nationalistic hard-working people supporting people who "don't work very hard and expect too much from their government". What a mess that would be!

:facepalm:

The last time the Germans thought one particular group of people were to blame for all their problems it was indeed quite the mess for all involved.  Somehow, though, I don't think that's what you were referring to?

The last time the Germans thought one particular group of people were to blame for all their problems it was indeed quite the mess for all involved.  Somehow, though, I don't think that's what you were referring to?

I don't think the Germans think they have any problems (not big ones).  The only problem the German leadership has at this point is they know the German people won't accept another bailout of Greece and certainly have no intention of accepting blame for Greece's problems.  BTW, Greece has far LESS debt per capita than the US, they just don't own a Euro printing press. 

Breaking News: FBI says background-check failure allowed Dylann Roof to buy gun http://yhoo.it/1Tqonlb 

Yeah, like I pointed out elsewhere the background check should be allowed to take as long as it takes. I don't see any reason to expedite something like that.

And again, he could've gone to a gun show & paid extra for a "private sale" with no check at all.

Do you get reported if you fail the check or do they just say "No Gun For You!" and send you on your way to a grey/blackmarket sale?

Conceal Carry people are paranoid weirdos. If you feel you need a gun that badly you don't need a gun. You need a Real Estate Agent. 

http://www.plunderbund.com/2015/04/07/state-rep-wants-to-eliminate-permits-for-concealed-carry-in-ohio/

True. I have yet to hear anyone suggest taking sidearms, shotguns or rifles from "law abiding" citizens. I have to remind myself to carry mine. Guess I'm not quite paranoid enough.

Archived