Guns in America

MichaelWeston

funny-picture-making-guns-illegal-will-t

Another "Laws don't stop crimes!" post.

People still kill people so why make murder illegal? Fuck it, why have any laws at all? People will always just break them. We should just give up.

Your position is beyond idiotic.

http://wtop.com/national/2015/08/man-arrested-for-shooting-down-a-drone-hovering-over-his-yard/

A Kentucky man who said a drone was hovering over his yard where is teenage daughter was sunbathing, was arrested for taking it out with a shotgun.

T he $1,800 unmanned surveillance device crashed in a nearby meadow. The owner of the drone claimed he was just taking photos of a friend’s house.

The crack shot dad, William H. Merideth, 47, of Hillview, Ky., was later arrested and charged with first degree criminal mischief and first degree wanton endangerment. He was booked into the Bullitt County Detention Center, and released on Monday. But he is not apologetic.

“Sunday afternoon, the kids – my girls – were out on the back deck, and the neighbors were out in their yard,” Merideth told local television news channel, WDRB.  “And they come in and said, ‘Dad, there’s a drone out here, flying over everybody’s yard.'”

His daughter, who called it “weird and creepy,” finally waved at the device, and it flew away.

Meredith said when he came out it was over his neighbor’s house, “10 feet off the ground, looking under their canopy that they’ve got in their back yard,” he said. “I went and got my shotgun and I said, ‘I’m not going to do anything unless it’s directly over my property.’”

• 2 weeks later...

Weird how that works ...

More Police Are Killed in States With More Guns, Study Finds

"OFFICERS ARE THREE TIMES MORE LIKELY TO BE MURDERED ON THE JOB IN HIGH GUN OWNERSHIP STATES IN COMPARISON WITH LOW GUN OWNERSHIP STATES. THAT WAS THE BIG WOW FOR ME."Mo

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/more-guns-more-dead-cops-study-finds-n409356

re Police Are Killed in States With More Guns, Study Finds

Weird how that works ...

More Police Are Killed in States With More Guns, Study Finds

OK, I'll bite.

I would imagine more people die in auto accidents in states with more cars, or drown in pools in states that have more backyard pools, so I don't find this remotely shocking. But aside from that, what is the conclusion supposed to be?

Should we ban backyard pools? Or do we recognize that, by far, the overwhelming majority of people are capable of responsibly owning a backyard pool - that statistically, very very few people drown, despite the inherent danger in an open body of water - and instead focus our efforts on, to run with this example, teaching people how to swim and/or punishing the ones who leave their toddler near the pool unattended?

OK, I'll bite.

I would imagine more people die in auto accidents in states with more cars, or drown in pools in states that have more backyard pools, so I don't find this remotely shocking. But aside from that, what is the conclusion supposed to be?

Should we ban backyard pools? Or do we recognize that, by far, the overwhelming majority of people are capable of responsibly owning a backyard pool - that statistically, very very few people drown, despite the inherent danger in an open body of water - and instead focus our efforts on, to run with this example, teaching people how to swim and/or punishing the ones who leave their toddler near the pool unattended?

The obvious answer is we need more pools. Nothing else, just more pools. 

OK, I'll bite.

That might make sense if it were just total deaths, but it's per capita, so it's actually the state's with the weakest gun laws, which just happen to all be red states.

Embedded image permalink

Some truth there

I'll say it again;  we're obviously doing a piss-poor job of enforcing the laws we have now & need to kill the private sale exceptions.

Another idea I've considered is expanding the state hunting license into a generic firearm license.  Avoids the "big list" but is still revocable; I had to take a gun safety class from what was a much different NRA to get my first hunting license as a minor. I believe most states do this & I would be happy to see that requirement remain in place for new adult licensees as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did you read this bullshit?  I'm not advocating that angry dickhead revenge fantasy stuff you get from the tacticool mall ninja types pining for a return to Old West frontier justice, but it says right there that this study was conducted on people with "no firearms training".  You mean they were unsafe and ineffective?! Shocking! Maybe for their next study they can chart how well people that've never driven a car perform on the interstate during rush hour.

I'd like to think my posts on the subject make it clear I've got at least a somewhat balanced viewpoint, so let me say that all these semantic tricks are not helping the discussion.  "Regular people" don't know how to use a gun? I guess that makes anyone that does some kind of weirdo, eh?  It's just like the "common sense" gun laws crap - we're not going to tell you what laws we're proposing but believe us when we say they are "common sense", so if you do happen to oppose whatever it is we may suggest that would imply you lack common sense.  Cute.

It would seem to me that it should be abundantly clear by now that further gun control laws aren't going to happen without the support of gun owners. These thinly-veiled efforts to demonize the millions of safe, sane gun owners in this country with rhetorical tricks & scare tactics meant to rile up people who know nothing about guns or the laws already governing them, is incredibly counterproductive.  It's almost like it's more about political grandstanding than actually addressing a problem.  Almost..

So maybe training should be a requirement of ownership? just a thought.

But regular people don't have that kind of training, didn't you read?  What, do you want to turn us into a bunch of gun-crazed psychopaths?

:rolleyes:

Training is a good idea even if you have no intention of ever owning a gun.  However if you're talking about legislation and your goal is reducing gun deaths it's the undocumented sales that are the issue.  

I don't own any firearms and have serious issues with the gun fetish that seems rampant in this country. However, I was taught to handle and fire a weapon by a Fairborn police officer (a GLOCK 9mm FTR) and went through a gun safety course with our foreign exchange student a few years back.

Just sayin...

Archived