Guns in America

MichaelWeston

20 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

T-Dub... I don’t pretend to have the answers, but as long as ALL THE POLITICIANS eat out of the NRAs hands, this is all a moot point.

Instead of EVERYONE calmly getting together and attempting to truly address the problem in a COMMON SENSE manner... you see the bullshit start “he’s Antifa, he’s a white supremacist, he’s an alien”!!!!!!

It doesn’t fucking matter what ANY killer is... we have to stop it.

As far as the “hands off if you’re a white supremacist”, I would like to ask you this about our leaders;

Excuse my cherry-picking again here;

Preaching to the choir re: the Klan.  At least the statues of their founder are coming down in our public parks, so that's something I guess.

As far as hunting with a shotgun, that might work on the half-domesticated deer we get in the MW but you'd have a hard time getting in what I'd consider safe shotgun slug-shooting range going for, say, antelope or elk (meaning confident kill-shot range, as I'm sure you know any responsible hunter won't take the shot otherwise).  

I don't think school shootings etc are something we're going to legislate our way out of, honestly.  We do a piss-poor job of enforcing existing laws.  I'd say they're selectively enforced at best.  I'm also suspicious of the type whose reaction to everything is "pass a law".  It's funny to me that the same people protesting corrupt, racist police brutality expect me to trust them with protecting me.

I don't think there's much question that the richest & most powerful people are trying to create a feudal-like permanent servant underclass, lacking education or means to threaten the status quo.  To call it a conspiracy implies that they are trying to hide it.

Lastly, "common sense gun laws" can mean different things to different people & that's why I don't like the term.  You could call anything "common sense", it's like a preemptive strike against debate.  It's getting used quite a bit, mostly coming from politicians who don't know wtf  "assault rifle" even means.  To them, "common sense" means banning adjustable stocks or hell, any rifle with a black stock or Pic rails.  They don't know enough about firearms to pass "common sense" laws but anyone who questions their expertise must be an idiot, since their agenda is "common sense" after all.   

Old... I should have clarified about Obama’s “gun control “ law... the people affected by this law are NOT the school shooters, mass murderers, and the problem area that need to be addressed.

That’s why I call it a fucking joke.

T-Dub - good points all around, and I guarantee that you and I could sit down and have a common sense debate about any subject.

On 2/17/2018 at 6:55 PM, T-Dub said:

Anything Trump does in the public eye is a celebration of Trump; that's how a megalomaniac sees the world.  

TrumpKovImpers.gif?resize=320,180&ssl=1

Someone expects compassion from this asshole?

right..

He is such a fucking piece of garbage

This is a great read and accurately describes where reasonable people land on this issue.

Of all of the lobbying organizations I’ve studied over the past twenty years, not one of them has done a better job using fear and false dichotomies than the NRA. Today’s NRA rhetoric employs the ominous they and forces “us versus them” language over and over. Allow anyone to buy any type of gun and ammunition, when and wherever they want, or they will break down your door, take away your guns, crush your freedom, kill everyone you love, and put an end to the American way. They are after us. They are coming. That’s the biggest bunch of bullshit I’ve heard since someone told me, “If you own a gun—any gun—you might as well be the one pulling the trigger in all of these terrible mass shootings.” No and no.

https://brenebrown.com/blog/2017/11/08/gun-reform-speaking-truth-bullshit-practicing-civility-affecting-change/

1 hour ago, CincyInDC said:

This is a great read and accurately describes where reasonable people land on this issue.

https://brenebrown.com/blog/2017/11/08/gun-reform-speaking-truth-bullshit-practicing-civility-affecting-change/

Relatable as hell.  Also I feel a sudden need for venison tamales. Sharing a pot of those (or other wild fish/game) is a great way to build bridges. Eating some wild pheasant or elk will turn you into a hunter. Can't say I'm 100% on board with the entire piece (automatic weapons are already very strictly regulated, IDK that an automatic weapon has been used in a mass shooting. Bump stocks & any other work-around should obviously be banned.)  I think she underestimates how much fear twists the conversation, as most gun owners or those familiar with them tend to do, from what I've seen/heard.  I'm more nervous running a table saw than shooting a handgun.  

26 minutes ago, CincyInDC said:

I had venison ragout on spiral pasta for lunch today, and it was great.  I asked a friend recently why venison in Germany and Austria is so mild, and he said they don't take any deer during the rut.  Before and after, not during. 

Interesting, their season seems to run roughly May-October depending on where you live.  US States vary as well but are typically a few weeks somewhere in Nov-Jan.  In Ohio, you can hunt deer with a "regular" gun (and not  your typical "deer rifle" either, it's straight-wall pistol calibers only, typically 9mm, .357 or .45)  for a few days, & a couple set aside for muzzleloaders aka "black powder"".  The archery season runs Sept-Feb however.  While more challenging & I have a lot of respect for bowhunters, I've also seen deer running around with arrows sticking out of them.  If I'm going to take an animal's life, I want it to be as close to instant as I can make it.  Not only is it more humane, it can also improve the flavor of game meat if the animal isn't stressed out.  Check out Ikejime, a Japanese method of harvesting fish.  They'll even let wild-caught swim around in a flooded hold for a while to calm down.  I know some private fishermen will rig a large cooler and bubbler as a sort of temporary aquarium.  Even if you only fish C&R it's a good idea to let the fish chillax for a few to improve their odds.  Getting angled is stressful, I've read studies suggesting that as many as 1/2 of released fish don't survive.

http://www.70degreepledge.org/uploads/catch_and_release_review_and_guidelines.pdf

Short version;

• Use a net, don't let them hang on the line
  • Avoid fishing warm water
  • Don't use barbed hooks (real anglers don't IMHO)
  • Keep them submerged as much as possible
  • Don't toss them back in . I usually lower them by the tail with hand under the belly if they're big, then hold onto them until they have the strength to test my grip. You might be surprised how long that can take after a good fight.

OK, we can all go back to arguing. :ninja:  Hope that was at least informative if not necessarily useful for all of you.  

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, text

Canada is the only one that can draw some kind of parallel to the USA's history with private gun ownership, & they have a fraction of our population.  It's telling how these memes (and that's all you're posting here, btw) never include Norway.  Wonder why that is, Norway has some of the strictest gun laws.. oh, right. The one guy with the dickface who shot all those kids, then got to sit around and play Xbox because Norway.

Not to be all "I THOUGHT THIS WAS 'MERKA?!" but the difference between us and, say, Australia goes beyond gun laws. Closer to home, consider the rate of violent crime in US cities vs. rural areas, and the intersection of poverty, gun laws & gun ownership. Consider veteran suicides as a singular problem rather than a gun control statistic. This isn't Iceland.

In other words, and no offense because I've been guilty of it myself, but stop retweeting & wagging your finger for a minute.  You think it's helping but it's not.

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Canada is the only one that can draw some kind of parallel to the USA's history with private gun ownership, & they have a fraction of our population.  It's telling how these memes (and that's all you're posting here, btw) never include Norway.  Wonder why that is, Norway has some of the strictest gun laws.. oh, right. The one guy with the dickface who shot all those kids, then got to sit around and play Xbox because Norway.

Memes are all I am posting here? I've added plenty more to the conversation than that.

If you don't think so, you should pay closer attention.

And gun control applies to all of those countries compared to the U.S.

Want me to add Norway? OK. They had 1 mass shooting 7 years ago.

We've had one that was worse in October, 2017 and 3 more highly publicized ones since that one.

Because America.

Not to be all "I THOUGHT THIS WAS 'MERKA?!" but the difference between us and, say, Australia goes beyond gun laws. Closer to home, consider the rate of violent crime in US cities vs. rural areas, and the intersection of poverty, gun laws & gun ownership. Consider veteran suicides as a singular problem rather than a gun control statistic. This isn't Iceland.

In other words, and no offense because I've been guilty of it myself, but stop retweeting & wagging your finger for a minute.  You think it's helping but it's not.

This was America before that mass shooting in Norway even happened. And it has only gotten worse. 

Between 2000 and 2010, the recorded 57 incidents in 36 countries.
Half of those incidents — 28 — occurred in the United States.

That's right. In U.S. schools, there was as much violence as schools in:
Argentina
Australia
Azerbaijan
Belgium
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Brazil
Bulgaria
Canada
China
Denmark
England
Finland
France
German
Greece
Guatemala
Hungary
India
Israel
Italy
Japan
Kenya
Latvia
Netherlands
Northern Ireland
Norway
Poland
Russian Federation
Scotland
South Africa
South Korea
Swaziland
Thailand
Trinidad and Tobago
Yemen
Combined.
That's all the more shocking when you consider that in 2010, the United States had about 309 million residents. The population of the other countries totaled 3.8 billion. It's worth noting, too, that 13 of those countries had never suffered a school massacre.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-america-school-shootings-20180215-story.html

Also, don't tell me that I'm wagging my finger and not being helpful. Who the fuck are you 
to tell me something like that? I have twin sons (age 13) that are comparable to a lot
of the students that were just killed. I have a stepdaughter and stepson that are both 
teachers. And I have a brother in law that is a principal. This shit hits too close to home.

Also, I was born and raised in Franklin Ohio (People call it Frankintucky) . A very Conservative area. Both sides of my very large family

are from Kentucky. I was brought up around guns. I was taught at an early age they are made for killing things. I have shot many 

different types of guns in my life. 

I'm not some Left wing idiot that has never been exposed to guns and just wants them taken away from everyone.

I just want it to be a lot harder to get a gun than it is to get a fucking kitten from an animal shelter.

Also, people say "common sense" gun laws, because the laws we have now make no fucking sense.

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Assholes have done the same thing with shotguns and handguns; see V Tech or Aurora.  It's not the type of gun.

I posted that because  a bunch of 3rd graders are raffling it off less than a week after a mass shooting 

using that same gun. I am for stricter gun control on ALL guns. I think AR-15s (and guns like them) should be banned

from further manufacturing and the ones that are in public hands (all guns) should be registered and treated like vehicles.

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Also, people say "common sense" gun laws, because the laws we have now make no fucking sense.

The problem is in the enforcement of existing laws, the lack of information about mental health, and the unnecessary weapons the NRA keeps pushing.

I also have no problem with registration of all weapons. 

Archived