Guns in America

MichaelWeston

19 hours ago, BengalBacker said:

Okay, I have to respond to this.

This is what was in my message to you, with one sentence removed that alluded to a couple other posters, no need to include it here.

"You were one of the few reasons I even still came here at all, but now I can't even stand reading your posts. I used to think of you as almost a brother, but we are now so opposite there isn't even a chance at any common ground. I used to say I didn't even need to post, whatever you said was pretty much what I would have said anyway. Not anymore. For the most part, I couldn't disagree with you more.

Oh well. We all have our own opinions, and it's time to choose sides.

I still wish you and your family the best, I probably won't be back. Never post anymore anyway, so no big deal, just wanted to say bye I guess."

I had no idea, and still don't know what you were going through as far as being "in the middle of one of the worst times of my life". Just look at your posts in the last few days in this thread. They are typical of why I sent you that message. The kind of rhetoric you spew backs people like me into a corner, and makes anything resembling discussion impossible. One of the things you posted basically said I have a morality problem. If you think your views make you morally superior to me you couldn't be more wrong. My right to defend myself and my family, including my 9 year old granddaughter who means more to me than anything in the world, trumps any insults you can throw at me.

Yes I voted for Trump and would do so again. I wouldn't have voted for Hillary if you put a bazooka to my head. IMO she is the personification of evil. I believe Obama was the worst president of my lifetime. You didn't see me in here for the 8 years he was in office making personal insults towards those who voted for him. That kind of shit makes it impossible to have a discussion.

Ahh, fuck it, what's the point?

What makes Hillary the personification of evil?

I say this with as much disrespect as I can muster. You're opinions are nonsense.

What makes it impossible to have a discussion is your severe paranoia leading you to defend guns over all else and the fact that you have some how come to the conclusion, despite all actual evidence, that Trump is good, Obama is bad and Hillary is evil. That level of irrational thinking makes it impossible to have a discussion with you. AND you are allowed to own guns. You are the exact person no one should want to own a gun. 

You clearly blindly get your news from places like Breitbart and InfoWars. 

16 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

I disagree, in large part because even though I would personally have no problem going through these steps (easy for me, had to basically do all this before), why go after the OVERWHELMING majority of law abiding Americans... and not the criminals?

Because it's too hard to measure and a miss can lead to results that are too big of consequences. If 100,000 people go through this and 1 is kept from being a school shooter and killing 17 kids and teachers at a school it is well worth it. 

All you have to do is go to a single Gun debate discussion on facebook and twitter and you will find a clear list of avid gun owners who shouldn't be. If you can't control your emotions with a stranger on the internet while having a conversation you don't deserve to own a gun. 

8 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

All you have to do is go to a single Gun debate discussion on facebook and twitter and you will find a clear list of avid gun owners who shouldn't be. 

Dude - I got my concealed handgun license a few years ago - I carry a 9mm, it's what I used to carry as an AF cop. I'm well trained and drilled in safety, shoot/no-shoot situations and even then - I have a tremendous respect for the power and responsibility that comes with it. That said, when I took the class - I scored 100% across the board. Not because I am a genius, but because of what I mentioned. You wouldn't believe some of the MORONS who also took the class and "passed". And the instructor took our paper targets for qualification, and said "I'm going to go grade these now" with an over-animated wink to the group. So there are dozens of classes every week, week after week, year after year of people who probably shouldn't even OWN a weapon, that are now legally carrying them on their person daily.

20 minutes ago, Cat said:

Dude - I got my concealed handgun license a few years ago - I carry a 9mm, it's what I used to carry as an AF cop. I'm well trained and drilled in safety, shoot/no-shoot situations and even then - I have a tremendous respect for the power and responsibility that comes with it. That said, when I took the class - I scored 100% across the board. Not because I am a genius, but because of what I mentioned. You wouldn't believe some of the MORONS who also took the class and "passed". And the instructor took our paper targets for qualification, and said "I'm going to go grade these now" with an over-animated wink to the group. So there are dozens of classes every week, week after week, year after year of people who probably shouldn't even OWN a weapon, that are now legally carrying them on their person daily.

I used to be a get rid of all guns guy. I think that's idealistic. Just make sure they are in the right hands. If a teacher wants a gun in school and shows that she/he is responsible why do I care if they have a gun. I would probably never even know. I think the answer is becoming more and more clear and more and more people are getting on board. Less guns overall in the hands of fewer people. If you can pass strict tests then by all means carry and have guns. Have the guns that are more dangerous locked up at designated places where you can go and shoot those.

The idea that the Second Amendment means no gun regulations is clearly false. We can't own machine guns. Congress can legislate whatever they want as long as they don't get rid of all guns. 

I think the answer is pretty clearly an NRA type organization built with responsible gun owners pushing common sense gun regulations that limit the types of guns owned and who can own them supported by the majority of people. The Brene Brown article really hit it I think. It's not that the vast majority of people hate gun owners. It's that they hate what the NRA has become and the conspiracy theory militia types. 

This is a good example...

On 2/21/2018 at 4:09 AM, BengalBacker said:

Okay, I have to respond to this.

This is what was in my message to you, with one sentence removed that alluded to a couple other posters, no need to include it here.

"You were one of the few reasons I even still came here at all, but now I can't even stand reading your posts. I used to think of you as almost a brother, but we are now so opposite there isn't even a chance at any common ground. I used to say I didn't even need to post, whatever you said was pretty much what I would have said anyway. Not anymore. For the most part, I couldn't disagree with you more.

Oh well. We all have our own opinions, and it's time to choose sides.

I still wish you and your family the best, I probably won't be back. Never post anymore anyway, so no big deal, just wanted to say bye I guess."

And you saw my reply and had nothing to say for almost a year.

Just look at your posts in the last few days in this thread. They are typical of why I sent you that message. The kind of rhetoric you spew backs people like me into a corner, and makes anything resembling discussion impossible. One of the things you posted basically said I have a morality problem. If you think your views make you morally superior to me you couldn't be more wrong. My right to defend myself and my family, including my 9 year old granddaughter who means more to me than anything in the world, trumps any insults you can throw at me.

The first thing you said to this thread, after this latest mass shooting, without my prompting was this ...

You tell me "it's time to choose sides" in a message. Next time I see you say anything, it is that.

Yet, I spew rhetoric that backs you in to a corner?

This is the post I made about morality...

Image may contain: 1 person, text

I posted that in general, yet you took it that I directed it straight at you.

That's my fault?

Also, I don't know why you keep missing what I am saying.

I don't have a problem with people owning guns. I have a problem with idiots owning guns.

That is my stance. How you continually turn that into I want to take away your right to defend your family, is beyond me.

If you see kids getting killed at school, people getting killed at concerts, at movie theaters, clubs, churches and you don't see 

a problem, want to fix it and only care about your guns, then what do you call that?

Lack of empathy? Morality? What?

Yes I voted for Trump and would do so again. I wouldn't have voted for Hillary if you put a bazooka to my head. IMO she is the personification of evil. I believe Obama was the worst president of my lifetime. You didn't see me in here for the 8 years he was in office making personal insults towards those who voted for him. That kind of shit makes it impossible to have a discussion.

Ahh, fuck it, what's the point?

This has to be hyperbole. 

Well I didn't vote for Trump. I'm looking forward to his impeachment.

The dude isn't even a good human being. And he is without the worst President in the history

of this country. I can't wrap my head around the Hillary is evil shit. She had a great resume, but she was a horrible candidate.

I wish Bernie had won.

Why was Obama so bad in your eyes? Was it the saving the economy, shit? Wanting to make healthcare better?

The fact he didn't have a scandal? Didn't grab pussies? Didn't get rich off the backs of others? Wasn't a narcissistic, lying asshole?

Didn't try to make the rich richer and poor poorer? Didn't try and fuck up the environment? Didn't kiss Putin's ass? Wasn't bought and paid for

by the NRA?

I haven't insulted you at all. 

17 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Because it's too hard to measure and a miss can lead to results that are too big of consequences. If 100,000 people go through this and 1 is kept from being a school shooter and killing 17 kids and teachers at a school it is well worth it. 

Gotta call bullshit on the "if it only saves one life" rhetoric.  

Backyard swimming pools kill more kids than guns.  Nobody needs a backyard swimming pool.  Reducing the speed limit to 25 mph would save thousands of lives a year.  If saving lives is the determining factor for what should be legal, ban cigarettes and booze. Ban ice cream & fried chicken. 

We assume "acceptable risks" every day because our concept of "liberty & the pursuit of happiness" leaves these choices to the individual, even if they may be self-destructive.  When those actions impinge upon the rights of others, we consider that crossing the line. Like, eg, shooting someone.  Already very much illegal, yet here we are again.

Did you know America's worst school massacre wasn't a shooting?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

To be clear, I'm not making an argument against better gun laws.  I am making an argument against hysteria.

51 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Gotta call bullshit on the "if it only saves one life" rhetoric.  

Backyard swimming pools kill more kids than guns.  Nobody needs a backyard swimming pool.  Reducing the speed limit to 25 mph would save thousands of lives a year.  If saving lives is the determining factor for what should be legal, ban cigarettes and booze. Ban ice cream & fried chicken. 

We assume "acceptable risks" every day because our concept of "liberty & the pursuit of happiness" leaves these choices to the individual, even if they may be self-destructive.  When those actions impinge upon the rights of others, we consider that crossing the line. Like, eg, shooting someone.  Already very much illegal, yet here we are again.

Did you know America's worst school massacre wasn't a shooting?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

To be clear, I'm not making an argument against better gun laws.  I am making an argument against hysteria.

If someone comes into a school and kills people with a backyard swimming pool then your point will make sense. I swear you gun people have some how lost your sense. 

15 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

If someone comes into a school and kills people with a backyard swimming pool then your point will make sense. I swear you gun people have some how lost your sense. 

I thought this was about saving kids?  If someone drowns a kid with a gun then your point..  wait no, you'd still be full of shit.

"You gun people"

Go back to licking racist cop shoe leather, at least then it was clear where you stood.

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I thought this was about saving kids?  If someone drowns a kid with a gun then your point..  wait no, you'd still be full of shit.

"You gun people"

Go back to licking racist cop shoe leather, at least then it was clear where you stood.

You either don't know the difference between an accident and a murder or you are pretending you don't so you can keep a toy you like. 

3 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

You either don't know the difference between an accident and a murder or you are pretending you don't so you can keep a toy you like. 

I thought you were interested in saving the lives of children.  Treating a gun like a toy is how accidents happen, keep spouting BS about something you obviously know nothing about.

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I thought you were interested in saving the lives of children.  Treating a gun like a toy is how accidents happen, keep spouting BS about something you obviously know nothing about.

I am interested in stopping children from needlessly dieing at the hands of murderers who are easily able to get their hands on guns because other people like to have fun shooting. 

3 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I am interested in stopping children from needlessly dieing at the hands of murderers who are easily able to get their hands on guns because other people like to have fun shooting. 

But in any and all other situations, fuck 'em?  It's pretty obvious that your issue is with guns in general.  You're entitled to your opinion but you sound like an NRA recruitment ad.

19 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

The AR-15 fires a rifle round, like any other rifle.  They are different than straight-walled handgun cartridges in that they have a sort of bottleneck which greatly increases velocity. (center)

fn_five-seven-21.png?itok=wVa7pRGK&fc=50

This is far from unique to the AR-15; a 100 year old deer rifle probably uses a larger & deadlier round, as does an AK-47 for example.  Any semi-auto rifle that accepts external mags has the same functional capability as an AR-15, in fact many are both cheaper & more powerful.  The AR-15 just happens to be the most popular, mostly because it's a civ version of a famous & reliable M16 which many people are familiar with & it has a ton of customization options, but also lately because it's the one uninformed gun control advocates seem fixated on.  Colt Firearms thank you for your support.

Archived