Guns in America

MichaelWeston

On 2/24/2018 at 6:56 AM, Homer_Rice said:

Again, this is because the AR-15 fires a rifle round, not because it's an "assault rifle" & has special evil powers.  Your granpappy's old deer rifle could do more damage to a body than an AR15.

The difference between the two is purely rate of fire.   The old "assault rifle ban" was stupid because it focused on brand names and cosmetic features.  If you want to regulate this type of rifle effectively it's going to have to be all semi-auto rifles w/detachable magazines.  Otherwise you're just kidding yourself.  This fixation on the AR-15 only helps Colt Firearms shareholders and the NWO-takeover conspiracy theorists.

47 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Again, this is because the AR-15 fires a rifle round, not because it's an "assault rifle" & has special evil powers.  Your granpappy's old deer rifle could do more damage to a body than an AR15.

The difference between the two is purely rate of fire.   The old "assault rifle ban" was stupid because it focused on brand names and cosmetic features.  If you want to regulate this type of rifle effectively it's going to have to be all semi-auto rifles w/detachable magazines.  Otherwise you're just kidding yourself.  This fixation on the AR-15 only helps Colt Firearms shareholders and the NWO-takeover conspiracy theorists.

Well, that's kind of a big fucking deal when you are talking about wanting to do a mass shooting.

An individual doesn't need good aim to do more damage, more quickly. It also has has little recoil,

and it's possible to follow movement while firing, as opposed to loading another round and sighting

the target again. Also, according to USA Today, the gun has been used in 12 mass shootings over

the past 35 years, including in Sandy Hook, Las Vegas and the Sutherland Springs church.

So it's not like we are just focusing on the AR-15, but mass shooters are.

But yes, regulate all semi-automatic rifles. And make magazines no bigger than 10 bullets.

15 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Well, that's kind of a big fucking deal

No question, I agree.

16 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

But yes, regulate all semi-automatic rifles. And make magazines no bigger than 10 bullets.

Further regulating new sales or transfers would be relatively simple, dealing with the thousands already in circulation not so much.   

While I'm thinking about it, "Active Shooter: America Under Fire" is a really good Showtime documentary series.  Suggests a lot of interesting strategies against this phenomenon.

7 US States have magazine capacity limits, but they aren't terribly effective.  It's not hard to find them used & they're easy to manufacture.  I'm probably on enough lists but I bet I could easily find a 3d print file for a 100-rd drum.

7 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Whooops 

2 concealed-carry holders nearly shot each other during the Giffords assassination attempt.  The "good guy with a gun" narrative is macho fantasy bullshit only meant to sell more guns.  Elite special forces ninja operators sometimes shoot the wrong person so I have little faith in the average schmuck. I've been around guns my entire life & still prefer not to be around armed strangers.  I think those neckbeards carrying their rifle into Chipotle are the worst kind of twitchy asshole.  

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

No question, I agree.

Further regulating new sales or transfers would be relatively simple, dealing with the thousands already in circulation not so much.   

While I'm thinking about it, "Active Shooter: America Under Fire" is a really good Showtime documentary series.  Suggests a lot of interesting strategies against this phenomenon.

7 US States have magazine capacity limits, but they aren't terribly effective.  It's not hard to find them used & they're easy to manufacture.  I'm probably on enough lists but I bet I could easily find a 3d print file for a 100-rd drum.

Hell, I can buy all that shit without an ID, background check or anything in less than 24 hours.

And they need to ban those magazines nationwide. And put very harsh penalties in place.

You have to start somewhere, some time.

2 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Hell, I can buy all that shit without an ID, background check or anything in less than 24 hours.

And they need to ban those magazines nationwide. And put very harsh penalties in place.

You have to start somewhere, some time.

I'm fine with universal background checks.  I had to get one for a double-barrel 20 gauge shotgun because it crossed state lines in shipping.  I could've bought any rifle in the shop with less hassle and yes, I agree that's an issue.

Beyond that, our will to physically enforce any sort of retroactive ban is about zero.

6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

2 concealed-carry holders nearly shot each other during the Giffords assassination attempt.  The "good guy with a gun" narrative is macho fantasy bullshit only meant to sell more guns.  Elite special forces ninja operators sometimes shoot the wrong person so I have little faith in the average schmuck. I've been around guns my entire life & still prefer not to be around armed strangers.  I think those neckbeards carrying their rifle into Chipotle are the worst kind of twitchy asshole.  

God yes.

The enormous economic cost of gun violence

“Researchers conservatively estimate that gun violence costs the American economy at least $229 billion every year, including $8.6 billion in direct expenses such as for emergency and medical care,” according to the law center.

Something that doesn't get talked about much. 

Why should the taxpayers be responsible for funding gun violence costs?  Why aren't the gun owners held financially responsible for owning a gun?

Shouldn't gun license fees & taxes on guns and ammo be raised? Should they be required to carry insurance?

Hell, they tax gas to help pay for roads. They have a "sin tax" on alcohol and smokes.

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

The enormous economic cost of gun violence

Something that doesn't get talked about much. 

Why should the taxpayers be responsible for funding gun violence costs?  Why aren't the gun owners taking financially responsible for owning a gun?

Shouldn't gun license fees & taxes on guns and ammo be raised? Should they be required to carry insurance?

Hell, they tax gas to help pay for roads. They have a "sin tax" on alcohol and smokes.

they should!! 

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yes, and yes. I still remember the CCW guy who tried to be a hero when a couple of Bundy Ranch nutballs murdered two Metro officers while they were eating lunch and got his ticket punched. Nevada is an open carry state, and it got so bad before we left that it felt like we were having a gun shoved in our faces every time we turned around. I'd be at the grocery store looking at bananas and some yokel with a hero complex would walk by with a .357 strapped to his hip, or my favorite, we were at a kids birthday party and one of the dudes there bent over the cooler to get a beer and he had a fucking 9mm stuffed in his waistband. 

Don't miss it at all... 

2 hours ago, Elflocko said:

Yes, and yes. I still remember the CCW guy who tried to be a hero when a couple of Bundy Ranch nutballs murdered two Metro officers while they were eating lunch and got his ticket punched. Nevada is an open carry state, and it got so bad before we left that it felt like we were having a gun shoved in our faces every time we turned around. I'd be at the grocery store looking at bananas and some yokel with a hero complex would walk by with a .357 strapped to his hip, or my favorite, we were at a kids birthday party and one of the dudes there bent over the cooler to get a beer and he had a fucking 9mm stuffed in his waistband. 

Don't miss it at all... 

I can't blame you... and while I stated why I carry earlier, I feel the same way.

I don't open carry because of the heroes and criminals in part. Too many cowboys looking for a reason to shoot someone.

I also do not let people know if I am carrying, unless they ask me directly.

Funny you should mention the kids birthday party... I went to one last month at a couples place who knew I carried. They asked me not to carry at the party, and when I showed them that I wasn't, they were surprised! I told them they shouldn't be surprised, because I knew there would be kids, alcohol (for the parents of course), and alcohol & guns are no no go. I had it in the truck, but there was no reason to carry at the party.

The first line of defense should ALWAYS be to leave a situation that could be dangerous, and to call the "professionals"... police in most cases.

Way too many guns in the hands of WAY too many fucking idiots. As far as taking responsibility... insurance should be required.

I have it, because I'm not a dumbass. 

On 2/21/2018 at 4:09 AM, BengalBacker said:

Yes I voted for Trump and would do so again. I wouldn't have voted for Hillary if you put a bazooka to my head. IMO she is the personification of evil.

What happened to you between then and now? Seriously, I'd love to know.

Archived