Guns in America

MichaelWeston

Why the NRA Is OK With Republicans Suddenly Talking About Gun Control

the NRA has given Republican lawmakers the green light to float new gun restrictions without the threat of political retribution, according to two senior GOP officials.

Gun manufacturers, who along with the NRA’s grassroots members help fund the organization, are in the midst of the worst business crisis in decades, with sales drops driving some to seek bankruptcy protection. And nothing gooses sales like the threat of new limits on guns.

Yeah, fuck the NRA

On 3/27/2015 at 9:04 AM, oldschooler said:

And when abortions laws are passed only criminals will get abortions.
If speeding laws are passed only criminals will speed. Why have any laws?

Only criminals will break them! 

No one is saying take away people's guns. At least no one with any sense.
But pro gun people act like trying to keep guns out of peoples hands that shouldn't
have guns is just opening the way to have their guns taken away.

Keep your guns. If you are worthy. But prove you're worthy. You have no problem

taking classes and test to drive a car. You have no problem registering and titling 

your car. Why not for guns? 

Who cares that innocent kids are gunned down in school? Who cares that
people are killed while trying to watch a movie? Who cares more people 

were killed by guns in Ohio, West Virginia, Michigan, Illinois, Missouri,

Louisiana, Colorado, Arizona and California than were killed in traffic accidents?

Who cares that gun suicides alone were more common in Nevada, Utah, Oregon,

Washington and Alaska than traffic deaths? Who cares that the majority of those

killed are middle-aged white guys between 50-54 and they are more likely to be killed by

a gun than anyone? And they're more likely to turn that gun on themselves or 

their Family than they are anyone? Who cares  that Americans are 20 times

more likely to be killed by a gun than people of any other civilized Nation?

Who cares that since 1968 more Americans have been killed by gunfire than

all of the wars in this Country's history?

I care. And if you were truly a responsible  gun owner, you should care too.

If you don't care you're just some douche with a gun and part of the problem.

My first response to this thread was almost 4 years ago.

All of it still holds true and I still care. And if you don't care you're still just some douche with a gun and part of the problem.

On 3/1/2018 at 8:28 AM, oldschooler said:

Not really. While all guns can be considered assault weapons.

There are some guns on the market that are pretty similar to 

weapons we give our soldiers to use in war. And should not be

in the hands of civilians. 

I would argue that the core purpose of the 2nd Amendment was to prevent that very situation; one in which the government has effectively disarmed its citizens.  It wasn't about ensuring Jebediah was able to hunt rabbits.  It was, and is, a last resort failsafe against tyranny. 

Semi-automatic rifles that have have detachable high capacity magazines

Any rifle (or handgun for that matter) that has swappable magazines will accept high-capacity versions.  It's just a longer (or sometimes rounder) magazine, it makes no difference to the weapon itself.

pistol grips, flash suppressors and barrel shrouds

These are all largely cosmetic comfort features that have no bearing on the rate of fire or killing power.  This is like addressing the problem of drunk driving by banning sunroofs. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I would argue that the core purpose of the 2nd Amendment was to prevent that very situation; one in which the government has effectively disarmed its citizens.  It wasn't about ensuring Jebediah was able to hunt rabbits.  It was, and is, a last resort failsafe against tyranny. 

You would be wrong.

The Constitution says that is treason. Section 110 of Article III

And that is something that I always found dumb as fuck.

The people that argue that point for the 2nd amendment are also usually the ones that want to add 

to our already inflated Defense budget. Make the military stronger in case I have to take arms up against it.

Any rifle (or handgun for that matter) that has swappable magazines will accept high-capacity versions.  It's just a longer (or sometimes rounder) magazine, it makes no difference to the weapon itself.

Well, they need to ban their production and have a grace period for a buy back or something like that

and get them the fuck out of commision

These are all largely cosmetic comfort features that have no bearing on the rate of fire or killing power.  This is like addressing the problem of drunk driving by banning sunroofs. 

Well, I have already addressed the rate of fire.  And you keep acting like shit ain't nothing, but 12 mass shooters chose  an AR-15 for some reason. 

Just now, oldschooler said:

You would be wrong.

The Constitution says that is treason.

And that is something that I always found dumb as fuck.

The people that argue that point for the 2nd amendment are also usually the ones that want to add 

to our already inflated Defense budget. Make the military stronger in case I have to take arms up against it.

That is a strawman.  I think our military budget is rife with corruption and waste, in case you were in fact asking and not making assumptions.

I guess "security of a Free State" is open to interpretation... like everything else.  Moving on.

Well, I have already addressed the rate of fire.  And you keep acting like shit ain't nothing, but 12 mass shooters chose  an AR-15 for some reason. 

The vast majority of gun violence & mass shootings were not committed with the AR-15 rifle.  There are hundreds of other brands & models of rifle with the same capabilities.  The AR-15 happens to be one of the better ones.  It's battle-tested, any military person is familiar with the platform, it's common, and there are a ton of 3rd parties making accessories for them.   Mass shooters pick them for the same reason sane people do; they're a pretty good rifle.  It's also worth noting that the news media tends to call any black rifle an AR-15. They don't have some kind of unique evil secret powers. This fixation on brand names is silly, or suspect, take your pick.

I dont think Ill ever understand the ego of folks who think they would stop some sort of hypothetical tyrannical government who happens to have tanks, and fighter jets, and nukes.... with your AR-15?

Good luck.

As Jim Jeffries said, "You're bringing a gun to a drone fight".

6 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I dont think Ill ever understand the ego of folks who think they would stop some sort of hypothetical tyrannical government who happens to have tanks, and fighter jets, and nukes.... with your AR-15?

Good luck.

I don't think I'll ever understand the disconnect of folks who make this argument like we haven't been thoroughly failing to defeat poorly-armed militias in other parts of the world for the last two decades.  I guess someone forgot to tell them we have computers & stuff?  If only they were this quick to grab their ankles...

21 hours ago, T-Dub said:

That is a strawman.  I think our military budget is rife with corruption and waste, in case you were in fact asking and not making assumptions.

I was neither asking or assuming.

I guess you missed where I said " the people", not people like you. And I also said "usually", which indicates not always.

I guess "security of a Free State" is open to interpretation... like everything else.  Moving on.

Did you know the people that wrote the Constitution were for gun registration?
Did you know they disarmed the civilian population during the Revolution?
Did you know they made laws against storing guns loaded?
Did you know they thought you had the duty to retreat and deadly force was justified only if no other alternative was possible?

They sure don't sound like the "Gun in every pot" people that gun lovers and the NRA are trying to make them out to be now days.

The notion that the 2nd Amendment was made to protect  a right to take up arms against the government is absurd.

Do you consider the Confederates "Freedom Fighters" or "Patriots"?

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. 

the Constitution itself defines such an act as treason<===== click that

Plus the well regulated militias are what is supposed to be the best security of a free state. 

Not Billy-Bob and Jimmy-Jack.

The vast majority of gun violence & mass shootings were not committed with the AR-15 rifle.  There are hundreds of other brands & models of rifle with the same capabilities.  The AR-15 happens to be one of the better ones.  It's battle-tested, any military person is familiar with the platform, it's common, and there are a ton of 3rd parties making accessories for them.   Mass shooters pick them for the same reason sane people do; they're a pretty good rifle.  It's also worth noting that the news media tends to call any black rifle an AR-15. They don't have some kind of unique evil secret powers. This fixation on brand names is silly, or suspect, take your pick.

In the past 5+ years ....

June 20, 2012: James Eagan Holmes, 24, used an AR-15-style .223-caliber Smith and Wesson rifle with a 100-round magazine, a 12-gauge Remington shotgun and two .40-caliber Glock semi-automatic pistols to kill 12 and injure 58 at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo.

Dec. 14, 2012: Adam Lanza, 20, used an AR-15-style rifle, a .223-caliber Bushmaster, to kill 27 people — his mother, 20 students and six teachers — in Newtown, Conn., before killing himself. (4th deadliest mass shooting)

June 7, 2013: John Zawahri, 23, used an AR-15-style .223-caliber rifle and a .44-caliber Remington revolver to kill five and injure three at a home in Santa Monica, Calif., before he was killed.

March 19, 2015: Justin Fowler, 24, used an AR-15 to kill one and injure two on a street in Little Water, N.M., before he was killed.

May 31, 2015: Jeffrey Scott Pitts, 36, used an AR-15 and .45-caliber handgun to kill two and injure two at a store in Conyers, Ga., before he was killed.

Oct. 31, 2015: Noah Jacob Harpham, 33, used an AR-15, a .357-caliber revolver and a 9mm semi-automatic pistol to kill three on a street in Colorado Springs, Colo., before he was killed.

Dec. 2, 2015: Syed Rizwyan Farook and Tashfeen Malik, 28 and 27, used two AR-15-style, .223-caliber Remington rifles and two 9 mm handguns to kill 14 and injure 21 at his workplace in San Bernardino, Calif., before they were killed.

June 12, 2016: Omar Mateen, 29, used an AR-15 style rifle (a Sig Sauer MCX), and a 9mm Glock semi-automatic pistol to kill 49 people and injure 50 at an Orlando nightclub before he was killed. (Second deadliest mass shooting)

Oct. 1, 2017: Stephen Paddock, 64, used a stockpile of guns including an AR-15 to kill 58 people and injure hundreds at a music festival in Las Vegas before he killed himself. (Deadliest mass shooting in modern history)

Nov. 5, 2017: Devin Kelley, 26, used an AR-15 style Ruger rifle to kill 26 people at a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, before he was killed. (Deadliest church mass shooting, 5th deadliest)

Feb. 14, 2018: Police say Nikolas Cruz, 19, used an AR-15-style rifle to kill at least 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. (Deadliest high school mass shooting, 9th deadliest)

8 hours ago, oldschooler said:

the Constitution itself defines such an act as treason<===== click that

Plus the well regulated militias are what is supposed to be the best security of a free state. 

Not Billy-Bob and Jimmy-Jack.

Because anyone with a brand of gun you don't like is "Billy-Bob" and "Jimmy-Jack".  Then you wonder why gun owners don't trust your "Common Sense" gun reforms?

In the past 5+ years ....

So when you move the goalposts to include AR-15 "style" rifles, which is apparently any semi-auto rifle, you've got a dozen incidents.  How many shootings do you think have been committed in that same time period with handguns? Shotguns? How many fatal stabbings?

Is an AK-47 an "AR-15 style" rifle, or does it get a pass because it has a wood stock?

Anyway... You're obviously not interested.  I'm done here,  carry on with your ill-informed meme reposts if it makes you feel better.

Archived