Guns in America

MichaelWeston

Not exactly gun related, but to save from a new thread and this having to do with the walk out of students on Wednesday:

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/parent-students-paddled-after-participating-in-walkout/1049088398

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Some Arkansas students have been disciplined with a paddling after taking part in Wednesday's National Walkout Day.

That's according to a Twitter post by a parent.

We spoke with the school superintendent in Greenbrier who confirmed that three students participated in the walkout. He says no student came to school asking to participate in the walkout and had made no preparations.

He adds that they were not reprimanded for protesting but for breaking school handbook rules in regards to leaving class.

We're told the students were given the choice of suspension (usually 2 days) or corporal punishment for their participation in the walkout. Corporal punishment is a paddling and must be approved by a parent. 

3 hours ago, Go Skins said:

Not exactly gun related, but to save from a new thread and this having to do with the walk out of students on Wednesday:

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/parent-students-paddled-after-participating-in-walkout/1049088398

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Some Arkansas students have been disciplined with a paddling after taking part in Wednesday's National Walkout Day.

That's according to a Twitter post by a parent.

We spoke with the school superintendent in Greenbrier who confirmed that three students participated in the walkout. He says no student came to school asking to participate in the walkout and had made no preparations.

He adds that they were not reprimanded for protesting but for breaking school handbook rules in regards to leaving class.

We're told the students were given the choice of suspension (usually 2 days) or corporal punishment for their participation in the walkout. Corporal punishment is a paddling and must be approved by a parent. 

mCMDWPs.gif

So no one really answered the question that T-Dub posed, "what is an assault rifle."  Let's just go with its effects on living tissue and rate of fire.  I'm not a gun owner/enthusiast/nutjob <-- don't be offended; anyone can be any combination of these things -- but I assume these effects are had through a combination of weapon and ammunition.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

This article that I think Jamie posted describes the kind of injuries we would like to avoid.  How is this for a starting point?  Anything that does this kind of damage is well, not something the general public should have access to.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion/fl-op-parkland-shooting-ar-15-radiologist-perspective-20180223-story.html

8 hours ago, CincyInDC said:

So no one really answered the question that T-Dub posed, "what is an assault rifle."  Let's just go with its effects on living tissue and rate of fire.  I'm not a gun owner/enthusiast/nutjob <-- don't be offended; anyone can be any combination of these things -- but I assume these effects are had through a combination of weapon and ammunition.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

This article that I think Jamie posted describes the kind of injuries we would like to avoid.  How is this for a starting point?  Anything that does this kind of damage is well, not something the general public should have access to.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion/fl-op-parkland-shooting-ar-15-radiologist-perspective-20180223-story.html

That is what you ban.  Not a look, but the actual mechanics of the weapon.  That's why those type of weapons are not hunting guns, they are killing guns.

On 3/17/2018 at 5:34 AM, CincyInDC said:

If you read downthread from there we talked about it a bit, but tl;dr it's almost entirely the ammo as far as damage or lethality.

Your typical bolt-action rifle fires a heavier, more powerful round than the 5.56mm of an AR-15.  What makes an AR/AK & so on deadlier is the sustainable high rate of fire.  

I feel like I should again point out that Aurora, Columbine, V Tech, Navy Yard.. None of these were committed with rifles. The day-to-day gun violence that kills so many more each year than all the mass shootings combined rarely involves a rifle. 

It's not the type of weapon. There's far too much focus on brand names and not enough on how they're being purchased.  

58 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Another school shooting. 
Is everyone sick of this shit yet?
Or are some of you still OK with this being normal?

Something should've been done to protect the kids immediately... but I guess EVERYONE is NOT sick of this shit yet because our fucking kids are STILL sitting in Gun Free Zones, have no protection, and all the people care about is getting rid of the scary looking guns.

Fucking stupidity...

A coworkers son goes to school there, he's safe luckily, but our kids are fish in a barrel.... STILL.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

There was a school resource officer that had a gun and fired back on the kid. The kid is dead.

It didn't stop the shooting or him being able to bring the gun on campus in the first place.

No shit... because while everyone SHOULD be MORE concerned with making the kids safe, they encourage marches and protesting over taking action to make sure a gun would not have been able to be brought on campus.

Politics over lives, the American saga continues...

Not starting another thread, but there are now 5 bombs either having been found or gone off.....it was 4 as of this morning .... they found another one in San Antonio (the 2nd found there) .... they are suggesting all the bombs have been in Austin or in packages addressed to Austin..... and all have been targeting prominent black families.

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

There was a school resource officer that had a gun and fired back on the kid. The kid is dead.

It didn't stop the shooting or him being able to bring the gun on campus in the first place.

Seems like having an trained armed adult who actually accosted the shooter significantly reduced the situation...only fatality was the shooter.

6 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

Seems like having an trained armed adult who actually accosted the shooter significantly reduced the situation...only fatality was the shooter.

In this once instance, of course in others you can't keep them from shooting themselves or students in accidents.

2 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

No shit... because while everyone SHOULD be MORE concerned with making the kids safe, they encourage marches and protesting over taking action to make sure a gun would not have been able to be brought on campus.

Politics over lives, the American saga continues...

Oh no, not marches AND protesting!? Don't they know the only effective way to draw attention to the issue and make their voices heard is by bitching on the internet? How stupid of them to exercise their Constitutionally protected right of assembly when feckless jaded apathy is obviously the way forward.

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Oh no, not marches AND protesting!? Don't they know the only effective way to draw attention to the issue and make their voices heard is by bitching on the internet? How stupid of them to exercise their Constitutionally protected right of assembly when feckless jaded apathy is obviously the way forward.

Some of us believe the only way to effect actual change is to march and protest. ;)

7 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

Something should've been done to protect the kids immediately... but I guess EVERYONE is NOT sick of this shit yet because our fucking kids are STILL sitting in Gun Free Zones, have no protection, and all the people care about is getting rid of the scary looking guns.

Fucking stupidity...

A coworkers son goes to school there, he's safe luckily, but our kids are fish in a barrel.... STILL.

The good guy with a gun against a bad guy  with a gun shit, just sounds like someone

that wants to sell 2 guns, to me. Same with "gun free zones". If there are no gun free zones,

than that means more guns for everywhere you go. To me, that's not an acceptable answer.

Plenty of places all around the world have gun free zones. They're not having mass shootings

like we are. I can't say it enough. Obviously our gun violence problem is because we have 

too many guns, too easily obtained by too many idiots. That should be the focus.

I live in reality old, not in the utopia you seek.

Your ideas, although noble, leave our kids exactly where they were starting with Sandy Hook... unprotected victims waiting to happen.

Where you see an “opportunity to sell guns” I see kids being alive that are now dead.

I’ve expressed to you before that I AGREE with you on many of your points... but your points DO NOTHING TO HELP NOW do they?

As soon as y’all get that utopia set up, let me know... until then, our kids are helpless targets.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

You’re just a fucking cock behind a keyboard.

What have YOU done mouthpiece? Show us YOUR action, YOUR community involvement, YOUR betterment of this nation...

Protests are great, and hopefully WILL make a difference in the future... doesn’t make the kids safer NOW does it?

I take part in my community you fucking asshat, I’m involved with the schools, town and county associations, and CARE about the safety of our kids NOW and in the future.

What the fuck do you do besides hide behind your keyboard acting like a dick?

Old, Jamie, CincyinDC will at least talk and put their ideas, likes, dislikes, and thoughts out there. You just like to attack, even when you have no fucking idea what you’re talking about.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

image.thumb.png.463649ddf25c0230e06a0592fc77f90c.png

We aren’t other countries are we, and they have no fucking bearing on the safety of our kids TODAY do they?

Deal with the REALITY that we live with TODAY vice the idyllic future you desire.

For Gods sake, what is wrong with all of you?

I hope that our kids can live in a world where there isn’t the evil we have today.

The reality is that we need to protect our kids now, and although it would be awesome to get all those scary looking guns off the streets tomorrow, we all know it’s not going to happen.

So while you all spout your cute little phrases, talk about other countries, and pat each other on the back that you’re “saying what ought to be”

THE KIDS ARE STILL UNSAFE..

That is our reality but you don’t WANT to protect them by installing metal detectors and having trained professionals guard them.

That puts any future blood of our innocent kids on YOUR hands as well. Because YOU wouldn’t protect them from the evil that exists.

Archived