Guns in America

MichaelWeston

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Note: He was not legally allowed to own a gun, let alone an "assault rife".  This is a common theme in mass shootings.  Passing laws is easy, enforcing them is hard.

What law is that? I can buy an AR-15 before the Sun goes down today without a background check
or anything other than the desire and the money for the asking price.

On Aug. 24, 2017, sheriffs deputies in Tazewell County, Illinois took a state-issued card from Reinking that Illinois requires for someone to own a weapon. During a Sunday news conference streamed online, Tazewell County Sheriff Robert M. Huston said Reinking volunteered to give up his four weapons. 

However, Reinking's father was present when those deputies came to confiscate the guns, Huston said. The father had a valid state authorization card and asked the police if he could keep the weapons. Deputies gave Reinking's father the weapons,  Huston said. 

"He was allowed to do that after he assured deputies he would keep them secure and away from Travis," Huston said, referring to Reinking's father. 

Huston and Nashville Police Chief Steve Anderson said they believe Reinking's father returned the weapons to Reinking. 

Anderson said he believes under Illinois law, guns seized can be returned to someone who has a valid state authorization. 

Anderson said he was not immediately aware of any Tennessee law Reinking would have violated by possessing guns in Nashville. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2018/04/22/travis-reinking-nashville-waffle-house-shooting-suspect/540144002/?908=

4 hours ago, oldschooler said:

What law is that? I can buy an AR-15 before the Sun goes down today without a background check

Says the FBI confiscated his weapons, I'm guessing that he was on some list at that point.  Why they returned him to a family member, I don't know. I doubt that's SOP? I too would like to know what specific laws were invoked and what charges or civil action his Dad could face as a result for returning them.  

That shouldn't happen, but these straw purchase "gifts" are a common thread with the mass shootings. Not always, I'm sure, & more common among the younger killers.  Again, enforcement.  Aurora dick should've been on a list after the psych evals he had, Virginia Tech asshole was under court order to receive therapy, Vegas dick was "stockpiling" & from what I've read likely selling guns himself, but IDK what to think about that particular incident.  Regardless, most states only issue ATFE quantity-purchase warnings for handguns but I've also read he was flagged and cleared at some point.  This is what I would consider ground for "Common Sense" gun laws.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/protesters-target-nra-lobbyists-home-and-wifes-business/2018/04/20/106c77f4-433a-11e8-bba2-0976a82b05a2_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f6dc2076dab1

National Rifle Association lobbyist Chris Cox says his house was splashed with fake blood — twice.

Then, someone made a fake website for his wife’s interior design business, altering images of artwork to show photos of child gun-violence victims.

Last week, two gun-control activists protested outside Cox’s Alexandria, Va., home and handed out fliers outside his wife’s nearby business.

“Mr. and Mrs. Cox have been targeted over the past few months by repeated acts of criminal and unlawful conduct, including having their home vandalized on two occasions,” Elizabeth Locke, attorney for the Cox family, said in a statement. “These coordinated tactics have crossed the line of civility and human decency.”

An attorney for Patricia Hill, the alleged vandal, did not immediately provide a comment regarding the fake-blood incidents. The other protesters say they have been careful not to cross legal lines and knew nothing of the vandalism. They are all part of a growing movement that insists gun-control advocacy should be more aggressive — and more personal.

18 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Where could you buy an AR-15 without a background check, private sale?

4 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

Where could you buy an AR-15 without a background check, private sale?

Yes. Or anyone that is not a FFL. Some states have instituted background checks for all sells, even private.

But not where I am, or Ohio.

15 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Yes. Or anyone that is not a FFL. Some states have instituted background checks for all sells, even private.

But not where I am, or Ohio.

This is the main thing that needs to change, no way should ANY transaction for firearms be allowed without proper background checks.

1 hour ago, USN Bengal said:

This is the main thing that needs to change, no way should ANY transaction for firearms be allowed without proper background checks.

Yeah. you could buy single-shot .22 at auction and have to pass a background check depending on shipping or who made the sale,  but can buy a pair of Tec-9's out of some skepto's trunk in the parking lot of a Best Western. 

What's more, you need a license to fish in all 50 states. I would like to see a simple gun license proposed.  Should stay at the state level & be fairly simple & renewable.  No list of what's owned or anything like that, no data-mining, cheap & fairly easy to renew... But something that could be revoked, temporarily or otherwise, for certain violent misdemeanor convictions or court-ordered psychiatric care.  This does raise questions of how much you trust the government with a list of armed citizens.  Which also assumes such a thing doesn't already exist.

Of course, like I've said before, this requires the will to disarm people once they're in violation, and we're doing a piss-poor job of enforcing our laws as it is. 

I see Oliver North is taking over as NRA president.  Same Ollie North that flooded American cities with crack to help fund Central American death squads.   I get the impression he is a "Birther"/Islamaphobe & friendly with the "Oathkeeper" militia sorts, but admit I haven't exactly been keeping up with the guy.  I assume he still has good friends in DC who would swear under oath to having never met the man, so I expect him to make the NRA even less relevant to mainstream politics & legislation.  We need a new organization with a focus on responsible hunting, shooting & gun safety.  I know some ex-NRA folks that support various outdoor organizations instead (Sierra Club, Walton League, Ducks Unlimited) but they seem to be primarily conservation focused (which is great but..)  

Archived