Guns in America

MichaelWeston

• 4 months later...

Florida dick should've been on a list after having contact with police several times, including issuing death threats.

Seems Georgia dick is a fugitive, but the shooting was described by law enforcement as "targeted".  So not really a "mass shooting" in the traditional sense, even though it of course still sucks.

Louisiana dick killed an ex-gf and family.  Also targeted and not really a "mass shooting".  Info is more vague but from the sound of it he should not have been legally allowed to own a gun.  Assuming, of course, that the gun he used was owned by him legally.  It's being described as domestic violence but I'm not sure what contact he'd had with LE. 

It looks like state/local LE doesn't communicate effectively with NICS?   They weren't subject to the shutdown, otherwise IDK much about how they work.  You know I don't have a problem with a 48hr waiting period so they can get it right.  Think there has to be a deadline though so there's no foot-dragging shadiness or ineptitude.  

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

So not really a "mass shooting" in the traditional sense

Also targeted and not really a "mass shooting". 

Yes, they really were mass shootings.

And just go ahead and say this over and over ...

Too many guns, too easily obtained by too many idiots.

That's the problem. That should be the focus. Everything else is just background noise.

3 hours ago, oldschooler said:

In white American households, handguns went from 49% of the total guns owned in 1976 to 72% in 2016. 

White people fearing they're losing "their" country, FOX New and the NRA = get your guns

Obama had better get cracking on taking those guns away, wouldn't you say?

6 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Yes, they really were mass shootings.

And just go ahead and say this over and over ...

Too many guns, too easily obtained by too many idiots.

That's the problem. That should be the focus. Everything else is just background noise.

Okay man.   Guy had issued death threats, had police contact, still somehow managed to get a gun & shoot some people.  "Clearly it is the gun itself that is at fault!"  But asking how he got that gun is somehow irrelevant.  

So again if you want to talk about specifics I'm all ears, but if you want to call every shooting involving more than 2 people a "mass shooting",  & wail about gun control while refusing to look at the specific, actionable failures in enforcement in each case so long as they make your scary list longer..  Sorry but I can't take this as anything more than fearful hand-wringing that isn't going to accomplish much beyond making you feel better for having yelled about it.

Just now, T-Dub said:

Okay man.   Guy had issued death threats, had police contact, still somehow managed to get a gun & shoot some people.  "Clearly it is the gun itself that is at fault!"  But asking how he got that gun is somehow irrelevant.  

So again if you want to talk about specifics I'm all ears, but if you want to call every shooting involving more than 2 people a "mass shooting",  & wail about gun control while refusing to look at the specific, actionable failures in enforcement in each case so long as they make your scary list longer..  Sorry but I can't take this as anything more than fearful hand-wringing.  

So you think mass shootings are just random people the shooter doesn't know?

Dead is dead. I don't care if the killer knew them or not.

still somehow managed to get a gun & shoot some people

Too many guns too easily obtained. It's not that hard to figure out where I stand.

4 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

So you think mass shootings are just random people the shooter doesn't know?

Dead is dead. I don't care if the killer knew them or not.

Too many guns too easily obtained. It's not that hard to figure out where I stand.

You don't think examining how they got those guns & where there was an opportunity to prevent them doing so is worth examining?   Too many cases where the shooter shouldn't have been able to get a gun but did so illegally, through straw purchases or the black market... Too many cases where the shooter never showed up on any kind of list and would've passed even the strictest background check.

IOW when you start looking at the details it becomes obvious that more legislation isn't a fix. We're not effectively enforcing the exisiting laws.  But that's difficult to address or explain, so let's just ignore that and keep yelling!

Just now, T-Dub said:

You don't think examining how they got those guns & where there was an opportunity to prevent them doing so is worth examining?   Too many cases where the shooter shouldn't have been able to get a gun but did so illegally, through straw purchases or the black market... 

That would fall under the too many guns and too easy to obtain part.

IOW when you start looking at the details it becomes obvious that more legislation isn't a fix. We're not effectively enforcing the exisiting laws.  But that's difficult to address or explain, so let's just ignore that and keep yelling!

It doesn't matter how bad I want and try to keep something out of my yard

if my neighbors yards are infested with it. Too many different laws depending

on where you are. Guns too easily obtained legally at too many places.

And I'm yelling as much as you are. I've already stated on ways to address the problem.

Nothing has been done by people in power other than thoughts and prayers

7 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

It doesn't matter how bad I want and try to keep something out of my yard

if my neighbors yards are infested with it.

See, that's an interesting point.  Do you want to be told you can't legally have something to protect yourself when those neighbors either already have one or can easily obtain one illegally? 

We try to enforce these laws and end up in situations like Waco or Ruby Ridge.  People generally don't have the stomach for it, and I'm not sure it's worthwhile myself.  Were the kooks in Waco or Ruby Ridge really a threat to anyone?  I would say the ATF created a mountain out of a molehill in either situation.  

Just now, T-Dub said:

See, that's an interesting point.  Do you want to be told you can't legally have something to protect yourself when those neighbors either already have one or can easily obtain one illegally? 

We try to enforce these laws and end up in situations like Waco or Ruby Ridge.  People generally don't have the stomach for it, and I'm not sure it's worthwhile myself.  Were the kooks in Waco or Ruby Ridge really a threat to anyone?  I would say the ATF created a mountain out of a molehill in either situation.  

No. I want motherfuckers that legally want to protect themselves to prove they're worthy of it.

And it would be something that effects all people, current and future gun holders. 

Oh well. Got to start somewhere. Because what's going on now is not acceptable or sustainable

for the U.S of A and it's law abiding citizens that is sick of our gun culture as it is.

7 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

No. I want motherfuckers that legally want to protect themselves to prove they're worthy of it.

That's what NICS is supposed to do, but it's failing far too often.   Figuring out why & fixing it seems like the logical place to start.

Think it's also worth exploring the demographic & background of actual mass shooters, in the sense of spree killers out to shoot as many strangers as possible.  There are definitely some trends there, ones we are also definitely not willing to collectively put under a microscope.

Like why do they all have the same haircut.  :ninja:

Just now, T-Dub said:

That's what NICS is supposed to do, but it's failing far too often.   Figuring out why & fixing it seems like the logical place to start.

Think it's also worth exploring the demographic & background of actual mass shooters, in the sense of spree killers out to shoot as many strangers as possible.  There are definitely some trends there, ones we are also definitely not willing to collectively put under a microscope.

Like why do they all have the same haircut.  :ninja:

That only applies to people with a FFL. Not all gun sales go through NICS.

But yes, I'm totally for starting, somewhere.

And haha @ haircuts

4 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

That only applies to people with a FFL. Not all gun sales go through NICS.

But yes, I'm totally for starting, somewhere.

And haha @ haircuts

All handgun sales do, or any transfer over state lines like from an online auction. No issue with that being standardized for any sale.

10 hours ago, fluhartz said:

that's mind boggling.

those fuckers are so much in the gun lobbyist pockets that they don't even talk about it...

Also voting for even the most moderate gun control bill would be career suicide for a lot of them.   And of course as I've mentioned before, the extremely poorly-written legislation that's been suggested before combined with the massacres that have taken place trying to selectively enforce existing laws. 

Anyway I expect this hearing to result in a lot of hand-wringing and very little of substance.

Archived