Guns in America

MichaelWeston

On 8/8/2019 at 7:52 AM, oldschooler said:

Reality check:

Venezuela has the 3rd-highest murder rate in the world at 56 (per 100k citizens).

Uruguay comes in at #60 with 8.2 per 100k.

We are 89th with 5.3 per 100k.  

On 8/8/2019 at 7:54 AM, oldschooler said:

Yet they still come lol

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Reality check:

Venezuela has the 3rd-highest murder rate in the world at 56 (per 100k citizens).

Baltimore is around 55 per 100k

But hey Jamie has been there and says its decent..

Where the fuck does he live??

2 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Yet they still come lol

Baltimore is around 55 per 100k

But hey Jamie has been there and says its decent..

Where the fuck does he live??

What I actually said is that it's a blue-collar town that is not unlike Cincinnati in that it has its share of problems as Cincinnati does. But sure let's put words in my mouth.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

What I actually said is that it's a blue-collar town that is not unlike Cincinnati in that it has its share of problems as Cincinnati does. But sure let's put words in my mouth.

YOU tried to minimize the decadence of Baltimore by comparing to Cincy.

It is a "rat infested shithole" in many areas..

Cummings has none nothing in the inner city plight...

His sole purpose is to bring down Trump because Trump knows whats going on there...

6 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

YOU tried to minimize the decadence of Baltimore by comparing to Cincy.

It is a "rat infested shithole" in many areas..

Cummings has none nothing in the inner city plight...

His sole purpose is to bring down Trump because Trump knows whats going on there...

Because it is not that different than Cincy. One of us has been to both places, and one of us just wants to talk talking points.

On 8/15/2019 at 6:43 PM, T-Dub said:

I'm confused, are the police an out-of-control murder frat that routinely abuses minorities with impunity, or do we need to further erode our Constitutional rights in order to make their jobs easier? 

Not all cops are part of that frat. Of course you know that already.

But yes I'm sure they would love it if their jobs were "easier" by being less deadly.

You call it eroding a right. I call it making it the way it should have been all along.

Not everyone if worthy and responsible enough with that "right".

12 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Not all cops are part of that frat. Of course you know that already.

But yes I'm sure they would love it if their jobs were "easier" by being less deadly.

You call it eroding a right. I call it making it the way it should have been all along.
Not everyone if worthy and responsible enough with that "right".

"Not all cops" isn't reassuring.  At best the "good cops" are willing to cover for the bad ones as needed.  It's not an individual cop issue, it's a systemic issue.

RE: Irresponsible people. That's true of anything.  I see people on the road every day who definitely shouldn't have a driver's license.  The vast majority of people can handle it, so we let people drive until they fuck up then take away that right.

RE: the cop thing.  If someone is willing to shoot it out with police I think they're far beyond gun control legislation making the difference.  

On a more personal level, I don't understand why anyone would willingly surrender their own right to defend themselves in favor of dialing 911 & hoping the cops make it there in time, don't shoot you by mistake, & don't decide to jack you up on whatever charge sounds fun at the moment.  I think asking a minority to trust the police in a life & death situation is the equivalent of expecting them to play Russian Roulette. 

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

"Not all cops" isn't reassuring.  At best the "good cops" are willing to cover for the bad ones as needed.  It's not an individual cop issue, it's a systemic issue.

RE: Irresponsible people. That's true of anything.  I see people on the road every day who definitely shouldn't have a driver's license.  The vast majority of people can handle it, so we let people drive until they fuck up then take away that right.

RE: the cop thing.  If someone is willing to shoot it out with police I think they're far beyond gun control legislation making the difference.  

On a more personal level, I don't understand why anyone would willingly surrender their own right to defend themselves in favor of dialing 911 & hoping the cops make it there in time.  I think asking a minority to do that is the equivalent of expecting them to play Russian Roulette. 

Look, you know that I and the majority of Americans are not for banning all guns.

So your argument is one that no one here is making.

We don't have laws to eliminate bad behavior entirely. We have them to limit their impacts

for the greater good of society. No one here is saying take away all gun owners rights.

Or ban guns. But I do think it should be A LOT harder than it is now. And I mean A LOT.

And their sales should be monitored like cars, along with a host of other ways they should be treated like cars.

Doing nothing isn't acceptable. Just like banning all guns and taking away everyones right isn't acceptable.

There's a much better place to be found somewhere in the middle though.

14 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Look, you know that I and the majority of Americans are not for banning all guns.

So your argument is one that no one here is making.

We don't have laws to eliminate bad behavior entirely. We have them to limit their impacts

for the greater good of society. No one here is saying take away all gun owners rights.

Or ban guns. But I do think it should be A LOT harder than it is now. And I mean A LOT.

And their sales should be monitored like cars, along with a host of other ways they should be treated like cars.

Doing nothing isn't acceptable. Just like banning all guns and taking away everyones right isn't acceptable.

There's a much better place to be found somewhere in the middle though.

Totally agree, but my point was that cops getting in a shoot-out, which admittedly sucks, doesn't move the needle for me on gun control.

I would definitely like to see universal background checks on a federal level.  I think that, & my usual suggestion of more dedicated & effective enforcement of existing laws, would go a long way.  

FWIW I heard there's another guy in custody in Dayton for making straw purchases for the shooter.  

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Totally agree, but my point was that cops getting in a shoot-out, which admittedly sucks, doesn't move the needle for me on gun control.

I would definitely like to see universal background checks on a federal level.  I think that, & my usual suggestion of more dedicated & effective enforcement of existing laws, would go a long way.  

FWIW I heard there's another guy in custody in Dayton for making straw purchases for the shooter.  

and it shouldn't.

but a dude going into a fucking Walmart with a gun holding like 100 bullets at a time and just mowing people down should.

5 hours ago, fluhartz said:

and it shouldn't.

but a dude going into a fucking Walmart with a gun holding like 100 bullets at a time and just mowing people down should.

Somewhat.  It's not always "like" 100 bullets either, but literally 100.   The Dayton incel had one of these: 

kci-ar-15-drum-223-556-100rd-gen2-drum-m

They'd have to be ridiculously heavy (never seen one IRL but ammo is heavy, being mostly metal) but they even make them for handguns.

2d5203f4042ce6a65438e4e7a7ed4b8c.jpg

IMO these 100 round drums are kind of idiotic. Besides throwing off the balance it takes seconds for someone practiced to swap a magazine. That's the entire point of having an external magazine in the first place - you don't have to carry 100 rds in the weapon.   Plus if it jams and you have to remove it you're trying to swap out a cinder block..  It's just all-around kind of dumb.  

Also worth noting since ammo pricing has come up before, that's around $180-250 worth of ammo in an AR-15 type rifle (it can chamber 2 different cartridges)  

I would give nary a fuck if those drums were banned FWIW but I doubt it would make any real difference given how impractical they are.  It's kind of like the "bump stock" thing, exactly one person has used them in a mass shooting & you could effectively do the same thing using a belt loop (there are youtube vids if you're curious.)  It would have arguably been more deadly if he didn't use one.

Mag limits are kind of pointless as well, since any gun that accepts an external mag would take as big of one as you want to attach.  Banning anything that accepts an external mag would effectively ban just about every gun on the market today.

Effective legislation IMO is going to focus on who is able to buy guns, any gun, in the first place.  Trying to ban them by brand name etc is all about headlines.   I think universal background checks would go over with almost any gun owner (but feel free to correct me if someone feels otherwise). 

Thing is..   the guy in El Paso, IDK anything about him but it sounds like he would've passed a background check with no problem.  It also sounds like a domestic terrorism task force might have had him on a list.. IF WE HAD ONE OF THOSE.  These guys don't self-radicalize,  they are interacting with others of their kind.  Typically they're posting shit online but we don't take it seriously enough.  I'd also point out again that a bunch of these mass shooters are getting their guns from friends and relatives, so even if they are "red-flagged" you have these straw purchasers arming them instead, like in Dayton or Sandy Hook.  I think they're going to set an example & precedent with the buyer in Dayton.  Whether they will apply them to family members in the future, IDK.

On 8/9/2019 at 8:17 AM, T-Dub said:

Reality check:

Now do mass shootings at everyday mundane places.

20 hours ago, T-Dub said:

To be honest with you, I still can't believe that Sandy Hook wasn't enough to move everyones needle

to the point something was done.

To me the shoot out with the cops just goes to show that ONE heavily armed person can give even the

trained professionals a run for their money. And renders the give all the good guys guns to help fight 

all the bad guys with guns bullshit.

On 8/12/2019 at 9:09 AM, oldschooler said:

:lmao:

Oh of course youd know right.

All your posts are views by liberal articles..

God you must have hours on your hands to find all this propaganda....

Your also preach racism which im sure u have a secret agenda about.

I think you hate anyone thats achieved more than your sorry ass in life..

Your really a bitter loser flake....

Archived