Guns in America

MichaelWeston

23 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Not anymore he's not, we're on the same page there.

I know he's not anymore. But before this incident he was considered a

responsible gun owner, law abiding and a member of our well regulated militia.

It just goes to show there are too many guns, too easily obtained by too many idiots.

10 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

I know he's not anymore. But before this incident he was considered a

responsible gun owner, law abiding and a member of our well regulated militia.

It just goes to show there are too many guns, too easily obtained by too many idiots.

Eh, I guess he was by default.  In the same way you're considered a responsible adult until you go and do something stupid.  If we used the World's Biggest Dumbass as our standard we shouldn't be allowed to own a pair of toenail clippers, let alone a gun or a speedboat or a chainsaw.  That's not how we determine what people are allowed to do.  The fact that this guy should lose a fundamental right, which I agree with 100%, does not mean everyone else should as well.  I would say that about a lot of things beyond the 2nd Amendment. 

Leaving regulation up to the states individually was a mistake IMO.  A lot of the resistance to change is based in that more than gun ownership specifically.

Just now, T-Dub said:

Eh, I guess he was by default.  In the same way you're considered a responsible adult until you go and do something stupid.  If we used the World's Biggest Dumbass as our standard we shouldn't be allowed to own a pair of toenail clippers, let alone a gun or a speedboat or a chainsaw.  That's not how we determine what people are allowed to do.

Leaving it up to the states individually was a mistake IMO.  

Safety classes, training and other things like that should be mandatory.

I have already offered some of the things I think should be done.

I'm not just saying look at the biggest dumbass. I'm saying look at

all of these dumbasses. I could spend most of my time on here 

just posting what dumb fucks with guns are doing on a daily basis

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

Safety classes, training and other things like that should be mandatory.

That used to be what the NRA was about, believe it or not.   Before Citizen's United, Columbine & Maria Butina they weren't so rabid. 

I have hard time with pointing at something like this NZ mosque shooting, all that evil and where it clearly came from..   The fucking gun didn't do that.  A gun is the only thing that's going to protect us from it, in the end.  We should be talking about all the crazy shit painted on his gun, but that's kind of the 900lb gorilla in the corner right now. We collectively hadn't had the guts to confront all that so now it's spread like a cancer to where people gathered to pray together are a target.  Maybe it's inevitable that every so often this kind of shit takes hold and we have to stomp it back down? 

You think an "assault rifle" ban is going to fix it?

23 hours ago, T-Dub said:

That used to be what the NRA was about, believe it or not.   Before Citizen's United, Columbine & Maria Butina they weren't so rabid. 

I have hard time with pointing at something like this NZ mosque shooting, all that evil and where it clearly came from..   The fucking gun didn't do that.  A gun is the only thing that's going to protect us from it, in the end.  We should be talking about all the crazy shit painted on his gun, but that's kind of the 900lb gorilla in the corner right now. We collectively hadn't had the guts to confront all that so now it's spread like a cancer to where people gathered to pray together are a target.  Maybe it's inevitable that every so often this kind of shit takes hold and we have to stomp it back down? 

You think an "assault rifle" ban is going to fix it?

In that case, why worry about ISIS (or other bad actors) getting their hands on a Nuke or other WMDs?

Just worrying about fighting their ideology and all is well. 

11 hours ago, oldschooler said:

In that case, why worry about ISIS (or other bad actors) getting their hands on a Nuke or other WMDs?

Just worrying about fighting their ideology and all is well. 

Because one guy with an "assault rifle" is not going to destroy an entire city?  

17 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Yep, NICS is kind of a mess.  IIRC Dylan Roof got his handgun because NICS didn't process it before a 2-week deadline.  Easy to say they should take as long as they want, but we're talking about a government agency so that would equate to "never" simply due to incompetence & also create a situation where they could just sit on an application at their discretion, with no oversight or legal justification.  Basically a Kim Davis situation where a worker could hold up the process because the applicant was named Mohammed or something.

I assume there was already an APB for this Sol Pais character?  That sort of thing should probably be tied into the system, I agree.  However the "red flag" laws being written create a situation where your shitty neighbor could report you because they don't like your dog, or are just batshit themselves.  Then the burden of proof is on you to get the flag removed.  That's a ridiculously low bar for denying someone a Constitutional right.  There's nothing to stop some stalker from reporting you just to make sure you're unarmed.

12 hours ago, oldschooler said:

When Guns in America and Alt Right and other bigoted and racist shit collide

Jebus.  Remind me when was the last time an Islamic terrorist shot up a school?  I guess picking the bullied outcast kid to play the part would've been rude.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived