Guns in America

MichaelWeston

It's amazing how little middle ground there is with gun owners/laws/non gun owners in this country. Most sane people on all sides of the fence have a valid point or opinion but many are mouthbreathers on every side. Interesting. I tend to side with rational gun owners because I am one, but I can also recognize the need for certain restrictions for certain people with regards to acquiring firearms in this country. Something needs to change, I don't know how or what, but it most certainly isn't banning guns.

And Weston, your post is laughable as usual.

I guarantee this experiment could be carried out most places in the US with the exact same results.. This will get ignored by those who don't want to see it.

But institutionalized racism doesn't exist.. Right guys?

First thing I thought when watching "That's one brave dude!"

I have to admit though, those corn rows are awfully intimidating.. Fuck, just imagine if he was wearing a hoodie...

Supreme Court says felons can decide who gets their guns

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/05/18/supreme-court-felon-guns/27534407/

Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see why they shouldn't be able to. It's their property. Just because they can no longer own/possess it doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to dispose of them as they wish.
Again, maybe I don't have the whole story but in general I don't see where this should be a problem.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see why they shouldn't be able to. It's their property. Just because they can no longer own/possess it doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to dispose of them as they wish.
Again, maybe I don't have the whole story but in general I don't see where this should be a problem.

A person deemed not responsible enough to possess firearms should not have any responsibility in regards to who possesses them afterwards. IMHO

Where to start? First, watching the black guy have to lie in the street until backup arrived pissed me off - and I'm a gun-owning, 54 year old white guy and ex-Military Policeman. That said, a white guy with dreds and, say, a cammo jacket, might very well have gotten the same treatment in that neighborhood. Cops have to constantly evaluate risk to the public and risk to themselves and make quick decisions.

What if the cop had just ignored the guy and he was a wacko who started popping rounds at passing cars two minutes later? What if your daughter got popped by some asshole and you found out a cop drove past him 2 minutes earlier and tried to use the excuse "I assumed he was exercising his legal right to open-carry"?

Where to start? First, watching the black guy have to lie in the street until backup arrived pissed me off - and I'm a gun-owning, 54 year old white guy and ex-Military Policeman. That said, a white guy with dreds and, say, a cammo jacket, might very well have gotten the same treatment in that neighborhood. Cops have to constantly evaluate risk to the public and risk to themselves and make quick decisions.

What if the cop had just ignored the guy and he was a wacko who started popping rounds at passing cars two minutes later? What if your daughter got popped by some asshole and you found out a cop drove past him 2 minutes earlier and tried to use the excuse "I assumed he was exercising his legal right to open-carry"?

It's why having a legal right to carry is such a slippery slope.

Merica!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/23/us/cleveland-police-verdict/

The conclusion of that one is odd from my limited understanding. Not that he didn't kill them but they couldn't be sure if it was his bullets that were the fatal ones. Da fuk? So to avoid prosecution all we need to do is have more than one person shoot the guy?

It's why having a legal right to carry is such a slippery slope.

I'm much more worried about the slippery slope of eroding the right to bear arms. Maybe because I witnessed a totalitarian state up-close-and-personal in East Berlin in the '80s... There was no graffiti on the east side of the wall. Nobody tried to escape from West to East.
The right to bear arms is usually the first right to go.

Most Americans think talk of a totalitarian government is just jabbering from crazy right-wingers. I've seen one in action and it wasn't hypothetical.

Remember the last election and the smart ass comment "the eighties called and they want their foreign policy back"? Well, it's time to dust if off. Putin is the product of the KGB in that era.

I'm much more worried about the slippery slope of eroding the right to bear arms. Maybe because I witnessed a totalitarian state up-close-and-personal in East Berlin in the '80s... There was no graffiti on the east side of the wall. Nobody tried to escape from West to East.

Most Americans think talk of a totalitarian government is just jabbering from crazy right-wingers. I've seen one in action and it wasn't hypothetical.

Remember the last election and the smart ass comment "the eighties called and they want their foreign policy back"? Well, it's time to dust if off. Putin is the product of the KGB in that era.

Nice work and very thought provoking. We have a couple posters here that may have spent time in Germany during that era.

It seems that the Iron Curtain to include Berlin was a product of failed US policy of Roosevelt and other Western leaders during WW2 in regards to Soviet concerns.

Japan might be a fresh counterbalance to what happened with Germany and in particular Berlin during and after WW2. What is Japan's policy on firearms and does it reduce the amount of violent crimes or does it just make it a Totalitarian society ?

Germany became divided because we the US allowed it to happen, to prevent this from happening in Japan and keep the Soviets out of Japan's invasion plans and later occupation, we dropped a bomb or two. Granted the bomb was quoted as being used to save lives, I'd have to be a fool to believe it had nothing to do with keeping the Soviets out of Japan's future.

This seems to be a tale of two countries. One working, one failing, both constructed through US policy.

In short, the US would never repeat the mistakes made in Germany...

Oops, forgot about Iraq, Afghanistan, etc...

Yes, the US could erode the right to bear arms but that is not guaranteed to be such a bad thing IF they can learn to enforce the current laws on the books... IMHO

We actually ran into someone who escaped. Somehow he got out and made his way to Nuremberg (more specifically Furth) injured even. Dad treated hus injuries and got him to the DoD hospital we lived by. Ironically the wall would come down only months later.

The plans to divide Germany were drawn up by the Allies prior to the end of the war. (Russia was an ally.) The plan was called Operation Eclipse. The reason Germany remained divided, rather than getting gobbled up by the Soviets, was precisely because leaders with balls stood up to the Soviets and enforced the plan as written, rather than packing their bags and leaving the Germans to fend for themselves.

Study the Berlin airlift.

You want to draw parallels to current events? Try studying our pack-up-and-go strategy in the countries you mentioned. If we had left Germany when it was vulnerable, the entire chunk of land from Germany to Russia would be Russia today.

But of course it would be a gunless workers paradise.

We actually ran into someone who escaped. Somehow he got out and made his way to Nuremberg (more specifically Furth) injured even. Dad treated hus injuries and got him to the DoD hospital we lived by. Ironically the wall would come down only months later.

It is absolutely awesome that the wall came down! It is a very sobering reality however, that Putin would like some walls back up. Want a tie in to the Bengals? Ask Margus Hunt if his Estonian family wants to be Russian.

The plans to divide Germany were drawn up by the Allies prior to the end of the war. (Russia was an ally.) The plan was called Operation Eclipse. The reason Germany remained divided, rather than getting gobbled up by the Soviets, was precisely because leaders with balls stood up to the Soviets and enforced the plan as written, rather than packing their bags and leaving the Germans to fend for themselves.

Study the Berlin airlift.

You want to draw parallels to current events? Try studying our pack-up-and-go strategy in the countries you mentioned. If we had left Germany when it was vulnerable, the entire chunk of land from Germany to Russia would be Russia today.

But of course it would be a gunless workers paradise.

Germany was divided largely because of military reasons and not political. Japan was not divided specifically because of a political decision.

The reason for stopping at the Elbe gives a little more insight into the decision making at the time. Czechoslovakia was lost basically that day. Eisenhower had a great idea that he would forgo the political decision in favor of expediting the end of the war. At the time I probably would have agreed but knowing all the fallout from those negotiations, it was the wrong decision.

Operation Eclipse was the proposed 82nd and 101st Airborne drop on Berlin. Yalta conference was the division of Germany.

Eclipse started around March. Yalta came about a month before. Yes, Eclipse was to prevent the Soviets from going further than the Yalta conference prescribed. The British were the only ones to implement a portion of Eclipse.

Guess I see the issue differently than some. Montgomery's memoirs, DeGaulle's memoirs, Cornelius Ryan's papers and book on the Last Battle formed portions of my opinion.

We've gone significantly awry from the Guns in America thread, but I am now very interested to read more about the division of Germany and the concomitant subdivision of the capital city, Berlin. When I was stationed in Berlin, my second job, after I completed two years as a platoon leader, was as assistant protocol officer for the U.S. Command Berlin. I was a glorified tour coordinator for Congressmen and General Officers who visited Berlin. The U.S. Command had an historian on staff as well as a multimedia presentation for our visitors. I heard that freak'in tour and presentation about 50 times.

Regarding military versus political reasons for the division of Berlin, there is no clear delineation between the two. Even in 1988 when I left, the Major General who served as the U.S. Commander, Berlin was considered the only remaining military commander who was technically in charge of the State Department as well as the Berlin Brigade.

Militarily, Germany was defeated and our relationship with our "ally" Russian was quite similar to the politico-military saber rattling which is transpiring today.

ColdWarrior, most of the Cornelius Ryan collection is in Ohio University. Ryan collection and books were some of the more informative fact based pieces of information regarding the intertwining of events during WW2. General Gavin's book also gave a little more insight into the proposed jump into Berlin. It also discussed the proposed jump into Rome. One of my uncle's was part of the honor guard in Berlin shortly after the fall.

In regards to Guns in America, I guess you could say I have a difficult time comparing guns here to anywhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived