Saints fan intercepts Gresham's pass to Bengals fan

Saints fan intercepts Gresham's pass to Bengals fan

1398200915000-crosecrans.jpg C. Trent Rosecrans, crosecrans@enquirer.com 3:48 p.m. EST November 16, 2014
635517468187520425-bengal-15-2014.11.16.

NEW ORLEANS — With prime seats in section 130 of the Superdome, both Tony Williams and Christa Barrett had their eyes on getting a football after a celebration.

Barrett, a Versailles, Ky., native who now lives in New Orleans, saw her chance mid-way through the third quarter when Andy Dalton rolled out and hit Jermaine Gresham for a one-yard touchdown. Seven rows up, Barrett and her friend Cara Meadows ran down the aisle to celebrate with Gresham.

"As soon as that happened, we ran down," Barrett said. "Gresham saw us and threw the ball to us."

That's when Williams made a tight end-like move himself, stepping in front of her and picking off Gresham's pass while throwing his elbow into Barrett's face.

Barrett, wearing an A.J. Green jersey, and Meadows, in an orange Bengals shirt, begged and pleaded with Williams, wearing a gold Saints shirt and matching hat.

"He was not budging at all," said Barrett, who gave up the fight after a few minutes.

"He kept saying no ma'am," Meadows said. "No ma'am."

At one point, many of the Saints fans sitting in the section began chanting, "Give them the ball" in support of Barrett and Meadows.

Williams said he's been sitting in his seat at the edge of section 130 since the Superdome opened.

"Nooooo," Wiliams said when asked if he was going to give up the football.

Why not?

"Because I caught it," he said. "It's very simple, I caught the football."

When showed the video by The Enquirer, Wiliams had no regrets.

"Yeah, I saw it," he said. "I didn't mean to hit that young lady. I was just reaching for the football. I didn't mean to hurt the lady."

He also made it clear, he had no intention of giving up the football — or his seat.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2014/11/16/jermaine-gresham-pass-caught-saints-fan-bengals-fan/19135989/

https://nesncom.file...gif?w=636&h=357

Archived