Cincinnati Bengals’ Big Win Sunday Dedicated to the Late Chris Henry

Cincinnati Bengals’ Big Win Sunday Dedicated to the Late Chris Henry

By Julie Swartzsocial-header-tw_360-2.png @julieswartz86

on November 17, 2014

Chris-Henry-tribute.jpg

Frank Victores-USA TODAY Sports

Five years ago, a tragedy happened that will forever be in the hearts of the Cincinnati Bengals‘ family. Wide receiver, Chris Henry, who had been involved in many off-the-field issues during his five-year NFL career, tragically lost his life after falling out of the back of a pickup truck in what authorities claimed was a domestic dispute with his fiancee. Five years later, the Bengals found themselves traveling to Henry’s hometown to take on the New Orleans Saints.

The hardest part about this story is that according to his teammates and even the Bengals’ owner, Henry reached a point where he was determined to leave behind his troubled and controversial past and move forward to become a better man, for his family and for his team. He has three beautiful kids as well, and it’s heartbreaking to know that they are without a father who I’m sure loved them very much and was on the path to turn his life around for the better. According to sources, his mother, who moved to Cincinnati after Hurricane Katrina, was asked by the team to attend Sunday’s game, but declined.

Henry’s sudden death hit the Bengals players very hard, and five years later that feeling has not faded with those that knew him. Henry, was in the minds of several Bengals players and fans as they traveled to New Orleans Sunday. They were able to win big in his honor and although nothing can take away the pain of losing him, this victory must have felt extra special. Defensive lineman, Domata Peko, a close friend of Henry’s claimed, “I was thinking about him this whole time and I dedicate this win to him”.

I think sometimes we underestimate the family bond and closeness these teams share. Henry had a lot of people in his corner that are still mourning his loss and missing him every day, especially every time they step out onto the football field. The Bengals had a little extra motivation for this game because of Henry, and they came together and got a much-needed win for both him and the organization.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/11/17/cincinnati-bengals-big-win-sunday-dedicated-to-the-late-chris-henry/

Archived