Positional Analysis for 2015 Draft - December Revision

Jason

Quarterback: Forget about it.  I understand it, but given the contract he just signed, Dalton's not going anywhere before 2016.  "Need" can be debated, but it's not happening in the first 4 rounds.  If they let Campbell walk and don't sign another free agent QB they might draft another guy late, but I question even that. Possible late pick

Fullback/H-Back: Like what I am seeing from Hewitt.  I think he is the guy moving forward.  No need.

Running Back: Hill has serious beast potential.  Gio has been disappointing, but if used properly (um, Hue!) he will be a good pairing with Hill.  Plus with Wilder on the PS and Burkhead and Peerman on the roster I don't see them drafting a RB at all.  No need.

Wide Receiver: AJ is a top 2 or 3 guy in the NFL and he's not going anywhere.  A healthy Marvin Jones I think is a great number 2 on the other side.  Sanu brings a lot to the table as a slot guy, and a gimmick guy.  How long is Donald Little signed for?  He has some tools if he can develop some consistency.  James Wright looks like a potential diamond in the rough.  They might draft a guy late if they are unsure about being able to retain Sanu and Jones, but I don't see it as a need.  No Need.

Tight End: I know Gresham is one of the 3 least liked players on this board.  But I also know the coaches like him and unless another team offers him a much bigger contract than he has earned, it would not surprise me at all if he is back.  I think Eifert is the #1 guy next year, and Hewitt might see some snaps there too.  If they retain Gresham, No need.  If he leaves I could see them taking a guy as early as 3.  Possible mid-round need.

Offensive Tackle: I think Whitworth has a couple more years in him at LT.  Andre is up after next year. I think they look for a guy in the first 3 rounds who could be a backup RT/OG and an eventual replacement for Whit.  Need.  Possible Early Need.

Guard: I think Boling and Zeitler are good starters, and Pollack is a capable backup at G and C.  They also like Trey Hopkins and Tanner Hawkinson at least as a guard.  I don't see them drafting a pure guard.  Not a need.

Center: I think Bodine is the starter at least through his rookie contract.  Pollak and Johnson are acceptable backups.  Not a need.

Kicker: I think Nugent is the guy.  They might bring in a free agent to compete, but no chance they use a draft pick on a kicker.  Not a draft need.

Punter: If Huber doesn't make the Pro Bowl it's an injustice.  Not a need.

Defensive End: Carlos is solid.  Gilberry is best as a rotational player.  Hunt and Clarke are question marks.  Geathers is Geathers, but he is nearing the end.  If it were up to me, a DE would be my preference in 1.  A pass rushing RDE who is not a liability against the run.  If Oakman is somehow available when we pick, I would teleport the card to the podium.  But I have my doubts.  I could also see them taking a rotational 3rd down rusher they can groom later in the draft if there is a can't pass BPA on the board in 1.  High Need.

Defensive Tackle: Geno is getting better all the time.  Still has been disappointing, and Peko is aging.  Thompson is a solid guy to have.  Part of me really wants one of the big DTs to replace Peko, but I'm not sold the Bengals will do it.  I think it's more likely they look for a Still replacement in the 2 to 4 range.  Mid round need.

Middle Backer: This is a tough call.  Does Guenther like Maualuga as much as Zimmer did?  Will they re-sign him?  He has played better since returning from injury, but he could be upgraded.  Would they consider moving Burfict inside if he does leave?  With Porter's injury history would they keep him around?  Potential need.

Outside Backer: I think with Lamur and DiManche they are ok at SLB.  Does Burfict stay at WLB or move inside?  If Burfict does move inside is Vinnie Rey good enough to start at WLB?  Probably not a need.

Corner Back: Newman and Jones have played well for the most part.  Hall has had a down year.  Is he still recovering from the injury last year, or has he lost a step?  Dennard and Dre have played well enough when given the chance.  I don't see CB as an early need, but I could see taking a guy as early as 3 or 4 depending on how many other needs they have as a result of free agency.  Mid to late round pick.

Safety: Nelson and Iloka are an outstanding pair.  Shaun Williams has shown potential.  I would like to see a backup FS drafted at some point.  Late round need.

Quarterback: Forget about it.  I understand it, but given the contract he just signed, Dalton's not going anywhere before 2016.  "Need" can be debated, but it's not happening in the first 4 rounds.  If they let Campbell walk and don't sign another free agent QB they might draft another guy late, but I question even that. Possible late pick

We need a QB. I don't care if it's in the draft or somewhere else but we must get a guy who could feasibly develop into a starter on the roster. Glennon, Davis mid round pick, I don't care, but to just say we have to stick with Dalton based on his contract to me is ignoring 52 other people on the team and the overall success of the franchise. Dalton may rebound but he has been very average all year. At the very least get us in position to replace him and spend that money elsewhere. 

Fullback/H-Back: Like what I am seeing from Hewitt.  I think he is the guy moving forward.  No need.

Agreed, Get a CFA at Fullback

Running Back: Hill has serious beast potential.  Gio has been disappointing, but if used properly (um, Hue!) he will be a good pairing with Hill.  Plus with Wilder on the PS and Burkhead and Peerman on the roster I don't see them drafting a RB at all.  No need.

I would love to see them kick the tires on Bilal Powell. The league is saturated with average level backs right now and I think he would come cheap and be good security for the first two. I love James Wilder's upside. 

Wide Receiver: AJ is a top 2 or 3 guy in the NFL and he's not going anywhere.  A healthy Marvin Jones I think is a great number 2 on the other side.  Sanu brings a lot to the table as a slot guy, and a gimmick guy.  How long is Donald Little signed for?  He has some tools if he can develop some consistency.  James Wright looks like a potential diamond in the rough.  They might draft a guy late if they are unsure about being able to retain Sanu and Jones, but I don't see it as a need.  No Need.

I think you are overrating AJ and MJ and under rating Sanu but regardless we have 3 solid guys at the top. Greg Little is a free agent. I like both James Wright and Cobi Hamilton for developmental guys. Probably don't need one early

Tight End: I know Gresham is one of the 3 least liked players on this board.  But I also know the coaches like him and unless another team offers him a much bigger contract than he has earned, it would not surprise me at all if he is back.  I think Eifert is the #1 guy next year, and Hewitt might see some snaps there too.  If they retain Gresham, No need.  If he leaves I could see them taking a guy as early as 3.  Possible mid-round need.

If Gresham leaves I would take one round 4 or after, if he stays no need but I think we need to work on developing one more. 

Offensive Tackle: I think Whitworth has a couple more years in him at LT.  Andre is up after next year. I think they look for a guy in the first 3 rounds who could be a backup RT/OG and an eventual replacement for Whit.  Need.  Possible Early Need.

This is a first round pick for me. It's an absolute need and would provide versatility to the entire line, Whit should retire here and can play RT and LG IMO. Get a LT to take his spot gradually and get the ball rolling that way. 

Guard: I think Boling and Zeitler are good starters, and Pollack is a capable backup at G and C.  They also like Trey Hopkins and Tanner Hawkinson at least as a guard.  I don't see them drafting a pure guard.  Not a need.

Boling is a Free Agent and I am not sure if we will pay him with other options there (Pollack, Hopkins, Hawkinson, Whitworth). It depends on his salary. I don't think we need to draft one though. 

Center: I think Bodine is the starter at least through his rookie contract.  Pollak and Johnson are acceptable backups.  Not a need.

Agreed

Kicker: I think Nugent is the guy.  They might bring in a free agent to compete, but no chance they use a draft pick on a kicker.  Not a draft need.

Agreed, probably bring back Sharp for the offseason again. 

Agreed

Defensive End: Carlos is solid.  Gilberry is best as a rotational player.  Hunt and Clarke are question marks.  Geathers is Geathers, but he is nearing the end.  If it were up to me, a DE would be my preference in 1.  A pass rushing RDE who is not a liability against the run.  If Oakman is somehow available when we pick, I would teleport the card to the podium.  But I have my doubts.  I could also see them taking a rotational 3rd down rusher they can groom later in the draft if there is a can't pass BPA on the board in 1.  High Need.

Agreed. Need a difference maker

Defensive Tackle: Geno is getting better all the time.  Still has been disappointing, and Peko is aging.  Thompson is a solid guy to have.  Part of me really wants one of the big DTs to replace Peko, but I'm not sold the Bengals will do it.  I think it's more likely they look for a Still replacement in the 2 to 4 range.  Mid round need.

They wanted Vickerson last year and then just went with it. To me this is a 2nd level need

Middle Backer: This is a tough call.  Does Guenther like Maualuga as much as Zimmer did?  Will they re-sign him?  He has played better since returning from injury, but he could be upgraded.  Would they consider moving Burfict inside if he does leave?  With Porter's injury history would they keep him around?  Potential need.

Maualuga is a FA. I don't think the Vikes have a MLB they like. Wouldn't surprise me to see him go. Nico showed well but cant be relied on yet. May be a need. 

Outside Backer: I think with Lamur and DiManche they are ok at SLB.  Does Burfict stay at WLB or move inside?  If Burfict does move inside is Vinnie Rey good enough to start at WLB?  Probably not a need.

Agree on probably not a need but we need a difference maker here. 

Corner Back: Newman and Jones have played well for the most part.  Hall has had a down year.  Is he still recovering from the injury last year, or has he lost a step?  Dennard and Dre have played well enough when given the chance.  I don't see CB as an early need, but I could see taking a guy as early as 3 or 4 depending on how many other needs they have as a result of free agency.  Mid to late round pick.

Not a need. We have tons of talent I expect all 5 of the top 5 back next year and we can develop at the end of the roster. 

Safety: Nelson and Iloka are an outstanding pair.  Shaun Williams has shown potential.  I would like to see a backup FS drafted at some point.  Late round need.

Need a coverage safety as a backup. 

First level needs: T, LB, DE, QB

Second level needs: S, DT, TE

We need a QB. I don't care if it's in the draft or somewhere else but we must get a guy who could feasibly develop into a starter on the roster. Glennon, Davis mid round pick, I don't care, but to just say we have to stick with Dalton based on his contract to me is ignoring 52 other people on the team and the overall success of the franchise. Dalton may rebound but he has been very average all year. At the very least get us in position to replace him and spend that money elsewhere. 

I'm not saying they "have to".  I'm saying they will. Whether or not they should is a valid debate.  

Donald Little?  Greg Little is signed through 2015.  $745K base salary for 2015.

Boling is a free agent after this season.

Wasn't Jayson Dimanche released the week after the Bucs game?  I might be

thinking of someone else.

I think our needs are (in no particular order) OT, DT, DE and LB.

Draft an OT, let him play LG for a year then switch him and Whitworth after the

2015 season.  Boling can walk unless he resigns at a decent amount.  I 

wouldn't throw too much money at him.

Peko hasn't played all that good this year.  I think we'd save just over $3 million

if he's released.  Good guy in the locker room and all but he can go in my opinion.

Maualuga being a FA for one and I'm not totally sold on Lamur.  Regardless if they

bring back Maualuga or not, we need a linebacker, if not 2.

Gilberry is decent as a rotational player.  Doesn't really scare anyone though.

We need to find out what we have in Hunt and Clarke.  Geathers is getting up

there and is similar to Gilberry.  Decent rotational guy.  

If Gresham leaves, look for a TE in the later rounds.  (Rd. 4 at the earliest)

Jason, on 09 Dec 2014 - 7:57 PM, said:snapback.png

Quarterback: Forget about it.  I understand it, but given the contract he just signed, Dalton's not going anywhere before 2016.  "Need" can be debated, but it's not happening in the first 4 rounds.  If they let Campbell walk and don't sign another free agent QB they might draft another guy late, but I question even that. Possible late pick

I covered this in another thread, but drafting a quarterback or not has nothing to do with Andy Dalton.  It's all about A.J. McCarron.  If the organization feels like he's got the tools to be a legitimate starter at some point, then the Bengals shouldn't draft a quarterback.  If they don't think A.J. can ever be "the guy", they should consider drafting Dalton's backup in the first three rounds.  A late round quarterback would be pointless.

Agreed, Get a CFA at Fullback

Hewitt's going to be a Bengal for a long time.

I would love to see them kick the tires on Bilal Powell. The league is saturated with average level backs right now and I think he would come cheap and be good security for the first two. I love James Wilder's upside. 

If the Bengals draft a back, it needs to be someone that returns kicks.  A mid-level free agent like Bilal Powell is a waste unless he can contribute on special teams.

I think you are overrating AJ and MJ and under rating Sanu but regardless we have 3 solid guys at the top. Greg Little is a free agent. I like both James Wright and Cobi Hamilton for developmental guys. Probably don't need one early

I couldn't disagree more with this being a "no need" position.  Sanu and Jones are average at best.  They're both also entering their contract years.  The problem is that if either or both break out and put up career numbers in 2015, they become exponentially more expensive.  The Bengals would be well served to draft a receiver in the first two rounds - a guy that can be a cheap legitimate to A.J. Green, since he's going to be making a zillion dollars soon.

If Gresham leaves I would take one round 4 or after, if he stays no need but I think we need to work on developing one more. 

If Gresham is not re-signed, the Bengals have to draft a tight end.  Assuming Gresham is not back, I still don't think they need to take one higher than the fourth round, though.  A one dimensional guy can make the squad since he'd be behind Eifert and Hewitt only.

This is a first round pick for me. It's an absolute need and would provide versatility to the entire line, Whit should retire here and can play RT and LG IMO. Get a LT to take his spot gradually and get the ball rolling that way. 

The Bengals need to have an eye on tackles throughout the process.  I wouldn't be shocked if they took two.

Boling is a Free Agent and I am not sure if we will pay him with other options there (Pollack, Hopkins, Hawkinson, Whitworth). It depends on his salary. I don't think we need to draft one though. 

Not a need.  This is one of the deepest position groups on the team.

Agreed

x2

Agreed, probably bring back Sharp for the offseason again. 

x2

Agreed

x2

Agreed. Need a difference maker

If I were a betting man, this is where I'd put my money on a first round pick.

They wanted Vickerson last year and then just went with it. To me this is a 2nd level need

Always shopping for DT depth.  Geno Atkins and Brandon Thompson are the starters next year.  Everyone else is on the bubble.

Maualuga is a FA. I don't think the Vikes have a MLB they like. Wouldn't surprise me to see him go. Nico showed well but cant be relied on yet. May be a need. 

I don't see Rey Maualuga going anywhere.  If he does, I think Burfict slides to the middle, creating a significant need at OLB.  

Agree on probably not a need but we need a difference maker here. 

If Maualuga is retained, Burfict stays put and I don't think the Bengals take a linebacker early... UNLESS there a horse that falls to them in the first round.

Not a need. We have tons of talent I expect all 5 of the top 5 back next year and we can develop at the end of the roster. 

Not a need.  Even if one of the vets moves on, the Bengals are loaded.  A late round pick is a possibility to play special teams.

Need a coverage safety as a backup. 

Unless the Bengals want to take Landon Collins in the first round to ultimately replace Reggie Nelson, they won't take one higher than the 5th round.

Good writeup Jason, but I think you need to take into account contractual stuff a little bit more.

Boling is a FA this spring and could be pretty expensive to bring back for example. Not sure you can just assume he will be back and that we're fine at OG.

All 3 of our starting WRs hit free agency after the 2015 season. We will franchise AJ if we don't get an extension done, but either way, he is going to be making a ton of money. I can't see them paying up for both Sanu and Jones (who will both be more expensive than many people seem to think). It's not an immediate need, but the way the Bengals operate they always like to have the next guy on the roster ahead of time and thus I think we'll see a WR in the first 3 or 4 rounds.

Safety is similar. We have both guys set to hit FA after 2015. Wouldn't surprise me to see them bring in a guy fairly early to groom based on the assumption that we won't be able to afford to extend both starters.

The situations at LB, CB, OT and TE are all in a bit of flux going forward too with a lot of guys set to his FA either this offseason or next.

Anyway, fun to think about this stuff now but we should have a ton more clarity after FA as we figure out which of our current FAs we keep and which of the guys entering their final year will get extensions.

To follow up on previous post, I think we could see something like this in the 2015 draft (assuming 3rd and 4th round comp picks):

1. OT- Both Whit and Andre are FAs after 2015 and we don't have a legit #3 OT. We fill an immediate need with a swing tackle and then have some options going forward into FA the following offseason.

2. DE- Gilberry and Geathers will be FAs after 2015 and are getting older. Hunt and Clarke are question marks and I personally feel Hunt is trending towards bust status. We could really use another impact DE opposite Dunlap and I don't see that guy on the roster currently. Could see this in round 1 if the right guy is available.

3A. TE- This is assuming Gresham won't be brought back. If he is brought back, then I would switch this pick to WR. We need to keep adding weapons on offense to replace guys we have lost (Hawkins) or will lose soon (Gresham? Jones? Sanu?). 

3B. LB- I really hope we are able to extend Maualuga and that Burfict makes a full recovery. We could still use more depth as Lamur and Rey are set to hit FA soon (and neither is a great player either). Depending on BPA and what happens with Maualuga, this could be an earlier pick.

4A. S- Iloka has become a really good player and hopefully gets an extension in place soon (he's a FA after 2015). Reggie Nelson has been very good as well, but he too hits FA after 2015 and is also getting up there in years (turns 32 next fall). I don't think we bring him back after 2015 for his age 33 season, so we need to get his potential replacement lined up.

4B. DT- I think we look for a Devon Still replacement/updgrade as the #4 DT. Thompson hits FA after 2015 also so we could end up needing his replacement in the pipeline as well.

Good writeup Jason, but I think you need to take into account contractual stuff a little bit more.

Boling is a FA this spring and could be pretty expensive to bring back for example. Not sure you can just assume he will be back and that we're fine at OG.

All 3 of our starting WRs hit free agency after the 2015 season. We will franchise AJ if we don't get an extension done, but either way, he is going to be making a ton of money. I can't see them paying up for both Sanu and Jones (who will both be more expensive than many people seem to think). It's not an immediate need, but the way the Bengals operate they always like to have the next guy on the roster ahead of time and thus I think we'll see a WR in the first 3 or 4 rounds.

Safety is similar. We have both guys set to hit FA after 2015. Wouldn't surprise me to see them bring in a guy fairly early to groom based on the assumption that we won't be able to afford to extend both starters.

The situations at LB, CB, OT and TE are all in a bit of flux going forward too with a lot of guys set to his FA either this offseason or next.

Anyway, fun to think about this stuff now but we should have a ton more clarity after FA as we figure out which of our current FAs we keep and which of the guys entering their final year will get extensions.

Would love to, but didn't have that info when I did the writeup.

I think O-line and LB have to be considered top needs right now.

Lost Collins/Roland -  Replaced with Newhouse who is now replaced with Boling/Winston.

Whit - 1 year left and had some knee issues a year before

Andre - 1 year left and will be coming off an injury rehab

Boling - UFA

For years they've had stable tackle situations and it often takes being 3/4 quality players deep to get it.    IMO, having stable tackles is the key to have a decent line.

This is a group that needs to get something done in Free Agency and draft whether it be extensions or other team's players. 

I think you need an upgrade in SLB on running downs.   Burfict via playing style and knee is a concern.  

Archived