Big changes coming to WEBN?

oldschooler

The garbage state of radio is a direct result of the deregulation, and the subsequent consolidation,  of the broadcasting industry.  Four companies (Clear Channel, Cumulus, Entercom, and CBS) own 80% plus of all radio stations in this country.  That leads to homogenized playlists and content streamed from a central location, in an attempt to shoe horn the same crap in every city in America.  

The broadcast channels were supposed to be to the benefit of the American people and to local markets (that's actually part of the FCC charter), but they were whored out to corporate interests.   Pretty much every one of the large terrestrial broadcasting companies is in debt and leveraged to the tune of billions of dollars, and have run out of other companies to eat to launder their debt and are beginning to collapse under that weight.  My former company was was bought out via hostile takeover so the purchasing company could launder their debt via the acquisition instead of declaring Chapter 11.  I keep hoping these companies will collapse, or be forced to break up by the FCC, thus returning radio to a more local control, but I'm not holding my breath.  They own too many of our politicians... 

Sports radio in Las Vegas is dreadful... 

it is everywhere im sure... here included.. in KNOW it is in cincy.. it was the worst... but sometimes i just need scores and updates..  other than that i have an ipod(what year is this?!?!?) 

as soon as i upgrade my iphone ill have my music there... and can ditch the ipod..

going to start checking out spotify more...  seems to be what all the wipper snappers are into these days...

Radio is still relevant because lemmings don't stream content in their cars yet.

the main push behind me wanting a new car is to integrate my phone with the car system for calls, music, navigation, etc...

sadly i am looking at 2016 for said purchase... unless i stumble across an extra 5-10k somewhere..

The garbage state of radio is a direct result of the deregulation, and the subsequent consolidation,  of the broadcasting industry.  Four companies (Clear Channel, Cumulus, Entercom, and CBS) own 80% plus of all radio stations in this country.  That leads to homogenized playlists and content streamed from a central location, in an attempt to shoe horn the same crap in every city in America.  

The broadcast channels were supposed to be to the benefit of the American people and to local markets (that's actually part of the FCC charter), but they were whored out to corporate interests.   Pretty much every one of the large terrestrial broadcasting companies is in debt and leveraged to the tune of billions of dollars, and have run out of other companies to eat to launder their debt and are beginning to collapse under that weight.  My former company was was bought out via hostile takeover so the purchasing company could launder their debt via the acquisition instead of declaring Chapter 11.  I keep hoping these companies will collapse, or be forced to break up by the FCC, thus returning radio to a more local control, but I'm not holding my breath.  They own too many of our politicians... 

This

can we just shut down the radio and sell off the bandwidth to cell phone companies? thanks.

Agree 

sports radio is the only useful radio in my life..

And 100% completely agree. It's the one and only radio I listen too. Every now and then I'd pop Tupac in from my phone or Biggie. You know you getting old when you can't keep up with music. My kids are like that shit is old and boring. I'm officially an OG :pimp:

Archived