QB Offseason

Starting to try to roll these out before the Bowl games start next Saturday. I started with QB just because it was on my mind. I will switch to OL next, DL then LB. I think those are our top 4 needs. I have not been doing any real looks at QB for the draft but I think we could potentially use one anywhere from round 4 on.

Here are the list of what's out there and what's available. I would love to see us trade for Mike Glennon who I think will be the best of the bunch. When you get near the ends of the list you see guys who don't really fit our needs but have high upside due to their draft position. If we miss out on Glennon I think either McCoy or Mallett could be solid and fill that role. Beyond that I really liked Locker's upside but he has never been a high percentage passer. Yates, Hoyer and Davis would all be solid second guys but I think they share similar ceilings to Dalton.

QB: Dalton 2020, Campbell 2014, McCarron 2017

Need: Yes, backup-potential future starter

Available Players
Free Agent:

• Colt McCoy-Redskins
  • Ryan Mallett-Texans
  • Jake Locker-Titans
  • TJ Yates-Falcons
  • Austin Davis-Rams®
  • Brian Hoyer-Browns
  • Mark Sanchez-Eagles
  • Blaine Gabbert-49ers
  • Christian Ponder-Vikes
  • Jimmy Clausen-Bears

Trades:

• Mike Glennon-Bucs
  • Robert Griffin-Redskins
  • Kirk Cousins-Redskins
  • EJ Manuel-Bills
  • Geno Smith-Jets

Draft:

• Marcus Mariota-Oregon
  • Jameis Winston-FSU
  • Brett Hundley-UCLA
  • Bryce Petty-Baylor
  • Sean Mannion-Oregon St
  • Garrett Grayson-Colorado St
  • Connor Cook-Michigan St
  • Shane Carden-E Carolina
  • Dak Prescott-Mississippi St

I would love any input on the draft guys. Clearly we won't be going after Winston or Mariota.

Dak Prescott is from Mississippi State.  A mistake like that would earn you an ass whoopin' in many parts of the state.  Unless I've missed it he hasn't declared himself eligible for the draft - and probably won't.  And for what it's worth, Bo Wallace from Mississippi should be on your list.  If someone can cure him of making bad horrific decisions, he might be pretty good. He's got prototypical size, a really good arm, and he's mobile enough.  However, he also comes from a gimicky system, so he's got a lot of learning to do.

All of the available free agents you've listed fall into the "just a guy" category.  Jake Locker might be the only exception, but his injury history transcends "bad luck".  If Jason Campbell wasn't already a Bengal, he'd be in your list - probably near the top, actually.

As for drafting a quarterback, there's no sense in even including Marcus Mariota and Brett Hundley in the conversation.  They'll be long gone by the time the Bengals draft, and regardless of how bad anyone wants to replace Andy Dalton, the Bengals aren't so "quarterback poor" that they'd mortgage the franchise to move up high enough to get either of them.  And before anyone says it, yes Jameis Winston might fall.  If he does, though, it'll be because he's had a horrible pre-draft process - compounding what's already been a long list of off the field BS.  So, no thanks.  The guy's a fucking tool, and makes Johnny Manziel look like an upstanding citizen.  The other thing about Winston is that people assume he's athletic because he's black.  Negative.  He's a little more athletic than Byron Leftwich, but less than, say, Teddy Bridgewater - and certainly nowhere near the Cam Newtons and Colin Kaepernicks of the world.

For the past two years, I've been one of the few voices shouting that the Bengals should draft a quarterback in the first couple rounds.  It's what elite teams do.  You generally only get huge upside-type quarterbacks in the first 100 picks.  So if you want a rookie with great arm talent, the idea of waiting until the third day of the draft is silly.  The question the Bengals have to answer this offseason is whether or not they think they got a steal in A.J. McCarron last year.  If they feel like he's got the tools to one day be a starter in the league - in Cincinnati or elsewhere, then the Bengals probably won't (and shouldn't) draft a quarterback.

If they feel like McCarron is not a guy that could one day be their starter, they should look to take a guy in the second or third round.  Why not #1?  For a couple reasons...

1.  You're sacrificing a chance to take someone that can come in and make an impact from Day 1.  My personal choice this offseason is defensive line or wide receiver.  If the Bengals were to go balls out and trade up for one guy in this draft, it should be Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama.

2.  Four years in, this is Andy Dalton's team.  Like it or not.  Investing a first round pick in a quarterback comes with expectations.  It would create a controversy and risk splitting the locker room.  For every Montana/Young situations that end well, there are a lot more dumpster fires.  The safest bets when drafting a quarterback are to go with the consensus #1 overall pick, and even that is NOWHERE NEAR a sure thing.  Driving into the office today, I heard Colin Cowherd say that of the last 62 quarterbacks drafted, only Andrew Luck is a bonafide "franchise quarterback".  I haven't looked at who would be on that list, but I don't really need to.  Other than Luck, the last guy that I'd classify as "elite" that was drafted is Aaron Rodgers - and that was in 2005.  

3.  Andy Dalton's contract is a good one for the Bengals.  First, they're not bound to him forever, but more importantly, it gives them their established quarterback at what will soon be a bargain rate.  $16mil/year sounds like a lot.  It's really not, though.  And every year that goes by, it'll look like less and less.  

Since I'm assuming that the two guys with "franchise" potential are not going to be available, and that the Bengals already have their long-term backup in A.J. McCarron, I predict they won't take a quarterback in 2015.  Now if, the Bengals aren't sold on McCarron, I agree with you that Mike Glennon is a VERY interesting possibility.  For the life of me, I can't understand why the Buccaneers aren't using this wasted season to either showcase him for a potential trade or to develop him as their starter.  If he can be had for a mid-round pick, I'm 100% in favor of it.   

Dak Prescott is from Mississippi State.  A mistake like that would earn you an ass whoopin' in many parts of the state.  Unless I've missed it he hasn't declared himself eligible for the draft - and probably won't.  And for what it's worth, Bo Wallace from Mississippi should be on your list.  If someone can cure him of making bad horrific decisions, he might be pretty good. He's got prototypical size, a really good arm, and he's mobile enough.  However, he also comes from a gimicky system, so he's got a lot of learning to do.

All of the available free agents you've listed fall into the "just a guy" category.  Jake Locker might be the only exception, but his injury history transcends "bad luck".  If Jason Campbell wasn't already a Bengal, he'd be in your list - probably near the top, actually.

As for drafting a quarterback, there's no sense in even including Marcus Mariota and Brett Hundley in the conversation.  They'll be long gone by the time the Bengals draft, and regardless of how bad anyone wants to replace Andy Dalton, the Bengals aren't so "quarterback poor" that they'd mortgage the franchise to move up high enough to get either of them.  And before anyone says it, yes Jameis Winston might fall.  If he does, though, it'll be because he's had a horrible pre-draft process - compounding what's already been a long list of off the field BS.  So, no thanks.  The guy's a fucking tool, and makes Johnny Manziel look like an upstanding citizen.  The other thing about Winston is that people assume he's athletic because he's black.  Negative.  He's a little more athletic than Byron Leftwich, but less than, say, Teddy Bridgewater - and certainly nowhere near the Cam Newtons and Colin Kaepernicks of the world.

For the past two years, I've been one of the few voices shouting that the Bengals should draft a quarterback in the first couple rounds.  It's what elite teams do.  You generally only get huge upside-type quarterbacks in the first 100 picks.  So if you want a rookie with great arm talent, the idea of waiting until the third day of the draft is silly.  The question the Bengals have to answer this offseason is whether or not they think they got a steal in A.J. McCarron last year.  If they feel like he's got the tools to one day be a starter in the league - in Cincinnati or elsewhere, then the Bengals probably won't (and shouldn't) draft a quarterback.

If they feel like McCarron is not a guy that could one day be their starter, they should look to take a guy in the second or third round.  Why not #1?  For a couple reasons...

1.  You're sacrificing a chance to take someone that can come in and make an impact from Day 1.  My personal choice this offseason is defensive line or wide receiver.  If the Bengals were to go balls out and trade up for one guy in this draft, it should be Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama.

2.  Four years in, this is Andy Dalton's team.  Like it or not.  Investing a first round pick in a quarterback comes with expectations.  It would create a controversy and risk splitting the locker room.  For every Montana/Young situations that end well, there are a lot more dumpster fires.  The safest bets when drafting a quarterback are to go with the consensus #1 overall pick, and even that is NOWHERE NEAR a sure thing.  Driving into the office today, I heard Colin Cowherd say that of the last 62 quarterbacks drafted, only Andrew Luck is a bonafide "franchise quarterback".  I haven't looked at who would be on that list, but I don't really need to.  Other than Luck, the last guy that I'd classify as "elite" that was drafted is Aaron Rodgers - and that was in 2005.  

3.  Andy Dalton's contract is a good one for the Bengals.  First, they're not bound to him forever, but more importantly, it gives them their established quarterback at what will soon be a bargain rate.  $16mil/year sounds like a lot.  It's really not, though.  And every year that goes by, it'll look like less and less.  

Since I'm assuming that the two guys with "franchise" potential are not going to be available, and that the Bengals already have their long-term backup in A.J. McCarron, I predict they won't take a quarterback in 2015.  Now if, the Bengals aren't sold on McCarron, I agree with you that Mike Glennon is a VERY interesting possibility.  For the life of me, I can't understand why the Buccaneers aren't using this wasted season to either showcase him for a potential trade or to develop him as their starter.  If he can be had for a mid-round pick, I'm 100% in favor of it.   

Agree with pretty much all of this. I do think Jameis goes very high and then flops and I could see Hundley dropping when all is said and done. I wonder where Blake Bortles was on these lists in December of last year?

Agree with pretty much all of this. I do think Jameis goes very high and then flops and I could see Hundley dropping when all is said and done. I wonder where Blake Bortles was on these lists in December of last year?

You could be right, but who knows?  As far as "Hundley dropping", I'm not sure what you mean.  He's probably projected at around 15.  Do you mean that you think he'll stay there or wind up falling to the end of the first round (or farther)?  

I wouldn't be surprised if Jameis Winston went #1 overall.  And I wouldn't be surprised if he fell out of the first round.  It's easy to see why a team could fall in love with him, but it would also be hard to criticize a team taking him completely off their board.  I personally think that Brett Hundley is going to measure out as a monster, and will interview so well that he'll catapult ahead of Winston.  I could be completely wrong.

If memory serves, Bortles wasn't quite in the "#1 overall" discussion by this time last year because everyone was in love with Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel.  When Bridgewater struggled in his workouts and Manziel didn't measure out well at the combine (6' & a 4.7 40), Bortles moved to the head of the class.  Of course, any of this year's QB's could have bad workouts, but while Mariota might not be 6'5", he's certainly not 6'.  He'll also run better than 4.7, so as long as he doesn't start hanging out with Justin Bieber and Floyd Mayweather, he should be OK.  

There's also no Jadaveon Clowney in this year's draft, which means we'll probably see a QB at #1.  Leonard Williams from USC is awesome, but he disappeared far too often for me.  I've seen games where he was a one man gang.  And I've seen games where you wouldn't even know he was playing.  Like I said above, to me, Amari Cooper is the best player in this draft.  He also would be a great fit for the Bengals.  His 40 time will have a lot to do with whether he's a Top 5 pick or if he goes toward the middle of the first round.  

You could be right, but who knows?  As far as "Hundley dropping", I'm not sure what you mean.  He's probably projected at around 15.  Do you mean that you think he'll stay there or wind up falling to the end of the first round (or farther)?  

I wouldn't be surprised if Jameis Winston went #1 overall.  And I wouldn't be surprised if he fell out of the first round.  It's easy to see why a team could fall in love with him, but it would also be hard to criticize a team taking him completely off their board.  I personally think that Brett Hundley is going to measure out as a monster, and will interview so well that he'll catapult ahead of Winston.  I could be completely wrong.

If memory serves, Bortles wasn't quite in the "#1 overall" discussion by this time last year because everyone was in love with Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel.  When Bridgewater struggled in his workouts and Manziel didn't measure out well at the combine (6' & a 4.7 40), Bortles moved to the head of the class.  Of course, any of this year's QB's could have bad workouts, but while Mariota might not be 6'5", he's certainly not 6'.  He'll also run better than 4.7, so as long as he doesn't start hanging out with Justin Bieber and Floyd Mayweather, he should be OK.  

There's also no Jadaveon Clowney in this year's draft, which means we'll probably see a QB at #1.  Leonard Williams from USC is awesome, but he disappeared far too often for me.  I've seen games where he was a one man gang.  And I've seen games where you wouldn't even know he was playing.  Like I said above, to me, Amari Cooper is the best player in this draft.  He also would be a great fit for the Bengals.  His 40 time will have a lot to do with whether he's a Top 5 pick or if he goes toward the middle of the first round.

I meant Hundley could drop, more than a feeling than any real analysis. I could see him just testing as an average guy. Could be totally wrong there. Of the 3 I could see him falling out of the first round more than Mariota and Winston.

I meant Hundley could drop, more than a feeling than any real analysis. I could see him just testing as an average guy. Could be totally wrong there. Of the 3 I could see him falling out of the first round more than Mariota and Winston.

Could be. I think if one of three grades out as average, it'll be Winston. He's a really good college quarterback surrounded by unbelievable talent.

I think the Bengals are focused more upon the present and feel Dalton is their QB. They can get instant impact players in round 2 (Jeremy Hill for example) and are going to see much bigger needs to fill. I'd be really, really surprised if they went QB in the first 3 rounds.

I suspect they feel like they already have their developmental guy in McCarron and won't take a QB at all (maybe round 7 or something).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived