Sony Hackers Threaten 9/11 Attack on Movie Theaters That Screen ‘The Interview’

Go Skins

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/sony-hackers-threaten-911-attack-on-movie-theaters-that-screen-the-interview-1201380712/

The Sony hackers have threatened a 9/11-like attack on movie theaters that screen Seth Rogen and James Franco’s North Korean comedy “The Interview,” substantially escalating the stakes surrounding the release of the movie.

The attackers also released the promised “Christmas gift” of files. The contents of the files are unknown but it’s called “Michael Lynton,” who is the CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment.

“The world will be full of fear,” the message reads. “Remember the 11th of September 2001. We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time. (If your house is nearby, you’d better leave.) Whatever comes in the coming days is called by the greed of Sony Pictures Entertainment

Past messages have included budgets to Sony films, salary information of top executives, and employee medical records and social security numbers.

There have been suspicions that the attack may have been launched by North Korea in retaliation for “The Interview’s” depiction of an assassination attempt on Kim Jong-un. The country has denied involvement but praised the attacks.

A spokesman for the studio, an FBI spokesman and a spokesman for the National Association of Theatre Owners were not immediately available for comment.

I'm still amazed that anyone at Sony or in Hollywood in general thought making this movie would be a smart idea.  I mean, how did you expect North Korea to react, really? Sure the hackers have gone extreme, but did they really expect to make this movie and no one have an issue with it?

Reading many of the leaked emails, there's a lot of really dumb, unprofessional people leading Sony.  Some of their ideas, the things they say about certain actors/writers/directors, etc...

I'm still amazed that anyone at Sony or in Hollywood in general thought making this movie would be a smart idea.  I mean, how did you expect North Korea to react, really? Sure the hackers have gone extreme, but did they really expect to make this movie and no one have an issue with it?

Reading many of the leaked emails, there's a lot of really dumb, unprofessional people leading Sony.  Some of their ideas, the things they say about certain actors/writers/directors, etc...

Who cares about how North Korea would react? What are they going to do? Jack shit is what they're going to do.

(other than hacking Sony, of course)

If they release it on VOD and it does well it could trigger a shift toward other companies doing the same thing.

Cuts out having to pay the theaters and it will save people money on movie tickets (depending what the VOD price is), so we could have something here.

Theaters will HATE this though. But if it makes the production companies more money they'll tell the theaters to kick rocks.

Completely agree. It is a terrible idea. I would hope we would be pissed if they made a movie about our president being assassinated.

Have you ever see This is the end?

I talked to a friend of mine about this whole mess last night, and brought up this movie, and she gave up after 20 minutes. 

When you and I agree on a movie, that says a lot.  Funniest movie since the first "Hangover". 

Archived