Stopping RB Jeremy Hill is priority No. 1 for the Colts

Stopping RB Jeremy Hill is priority No. 1 for the Colts
January, 2, 2015
Jan 2
8:00
AM ET
By Mike Wells | ESPN.com

INDIANAPOLIS - - Priority No. 1, in the eyes of the Indianapolis Colts at least, stands 6-foot-1, weighs 238 pounds and was one of the best running backs in the second half the regular season.

He remains “priority No. 1” despite the Colts holding him to only 15 yards on four carries in their Week 7 matchup.

His name is Jeremy Hill and he's the Cincinnati Bengals' top running back. Since Week 9, Hill has rushed for 929 yards and six touchdowns.

“Our one biggest thing on our game plan is you must stop Hill,” Colts defensive lineman Ricky Jean Francois said. “You must stop that run game. We must stop that run game and make them beat us throwing. I already know Andy Dalton, [Giovani] Bernard, Hill, A.J. Green, many other receivers and tight ends can do many things, but one thing, we can’t let the margin of error get big. We have to keep it real slim because one play out there can end up a Hill touchdown. We’ve got to keep the margin of error real slim.”

The Colts don’t look at holding Hill to 15 yards in that first meeting as a success because he only had four rush attempts since the Bengals fell behind early and abandoned the run earlier than they should have.

That won’t be the case on Sunday, especially if Green (concussion) doesn’t play.

As Cincinnati reporter Coley Harvey noted in our game preview, the Bengals are second in the league in rushing since the Colts shut them out 27-0.

“I think they’re committed to the run,” Colts defensive coordinator Greg Manusky said. “They’ve had success of course with it with [Hill] running the ball. He’s a strong runner. He’s got good vision. He can break tackles across the board, so we’ve got to make sure we gang tackle this guy, and make sure we swarm around him because you can’t assume he’s always going to be down.”

The Colts haven’t given up 100 yards rushing to a player since New England’s Jonas Gray ran for 201 yards against them in Week 11. They have given up at least 111 yards rushing to their opponent in each of their last four regular season games, though.

“We have playmakers too on the defensive side of the ball,” defensive lineman Cory Redding said. “We have a front seven that takes pride in stopping the run. So it’s going to be a good test for us. We’ve got guys on the back end that are looking forward to the challenge, and guys up front like myself that are looking forward to the challenge. We’re ready.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/

So do you start the game by passing to set up the run or do you just start pounding from the get go?

That's the million dollar question. Ideally I would say pass first, give Andy some confidence, then run down their throats, but if we start passing first it could totally backfire in our faces

That's the million dollar question. Ideally I would say pass first, give Andy some confidence, then run down their throats, but if we start passing first it could totally backfire in our faces

They will have 8 in the box to start the game and DARE Andy to beat them with the pass.  They will be sitting on the screen passes and will FORCE Andy to throw downfield, where Davis will be locked up on Green.  Unless Andy can complete some passes early and force the LB's/safeties to play back, it will be a long day.  This one's on Andy...

I think they will and they should start if off like Cleveland.      I think an advantage or silver lining to having AJ Green being a question all week is the coaching staff had no choice to focus on the run.

I think it's important to establish that metaility early within the team that they are going to run no matter what and I'm guessing that's the message sent to the team that's how they are going to win.

Hopefully if we win the toss we take the ball first or the Colts give it to us.  

So do you start the game by passing to set up the run or do you just start pounding from the get go?

NO! We all know that Andy's first pass of the game is always an interception and usually for a TD too. Please please please just pound the fucking ball with Jeremy and let him open up the passing game. 

And seriously get Little involved. He is big enough/fast enough. Use him up. 

Completely agree. This guy can be a big difference if used correctly as long as he catches the balls.

The first game on Sunday's slate has the Wild Card Round's highest Vegas total (49) with Indianapolis favored by 3.5 points. I think Cincinnati can win if and only if OC Hue Jackson abides by one formula: Putting the ball in Jeremy Hill's belly 25-plus times. Gashed by the Titans' motley running back crew for a combined 18-114 rushing number in Week 17, the Colts finished the regular season ranked 19th in Football Outsiders' run-defense DVOA and allowed the 12th most fantasy points to running backs, including the fifth most rushing scores (14). Here's a stat from Pro Football Focus' Pat Thorman: During the eight weeks where Hill handled 17-plus touches this season, the Bengals went 7-1 and Hill led all running backs in fantasy points, averaging 140 yards from scrimmage and a touchdown per game. With Le'Veon Bell (knee) injured and DeMarco Murray facing Detroit, I think you can make a solid case that Hill is the highest-upside daily-league running back play in the playoffs' initial round. ... Giovani Bernard's snap rates are 37%, 37%, and 42% over the past three weeks, with corresponding touch totals of 18, 13, and 10. I expect Bernard to be in the 8-12 touch range at Indianapolis, though that number could increase if the Colts grab a lead and force Jackson to call more pass plays. Gio notched receiving lines of 5-45-1 and 7-56-1 in Weeks 16 and 17, playing more than usual in Cincinnati's loss to Pittsburgh last Sunday night. He's a Week 18 daily-league sleeper who will pay dividends if game flow gets away from the Bengals.

The first game on Sunday's slate has the Wild Card Round's highest Vegas total (49) with Indianapolis favored by 3.5 points. I think Cincinnati can win if and only if OC Hue Jackson abides by one formula: Putting the ball in Jeremy Hill's belly 25-plus times. Gashed by the Titans' motley running back crew for a combined 18-114 rushing number in Week 17, the Colts finished the regular season ranked 19th in Football Outsiders' run-defense DVOA and allowed the 12th most fantasy points to running backs, including the fifth most rushing scores (14). Here's a stat from Pro Football Focus' Pat Thorman: During the eight weeks where Hill handled 17-plus touches this season, the Bengals went 7-1 and Hill led all running backs in fantasy points, averaging 140 yards from scrimmage and a touchdown per game. With <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/8390/Le"href="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/8390/Le" veon-bell"="">Le'Veon Bell (knee) injured and DeMarco Murray facing Detroit, I think you can make a solid case that Hill is the highest-upside daily-league running back play in the playoffs' initial round. ... Giovani Bernard's snap rates are 37%, 37%, and 42% over the past three weeks, with corresponding touch totals of 18, 13, and 10. I expect Bernard to be in the 8-12 touch range at Indianapolis, though that number could increase if the Colts grab a lead and force Jackson to call more pass plays. Gio notched receiving lines of 5-45-1 and 7-56-1 in Weeks 16 and 17, playing more than usual in Cincinnati's loss to Pittsburgh last Sunday night. He's a Week 18 daily-league sleeper who will pay dividends if game flow gets away from the Bengals.

I like this a lot and it was obvious everytime Hill gets the bulk of the runs we win. Except every year in the last 3 years of the playoffs we come out and try some shit non of us ever saw. Like trying to throw the fucking ball the whole game thinking they have joe montana out there. 

I don't like anything about what I'm reading in this matchup of our O vs. their D. 

Vontae Davis is one of the highest ranked CBs in the NFL by pretty much every grading site and metric and he's going to be all over Sanu. They are going to put 8 in the box to stop the run and try to force us to throw it to win. And throw it to who? Brandon Tate? Fuck.

Hate to be negative (and I'm usually one of the more optimistic guys) but this is trending poorly for us. That fumble/concussion by AJ was a kick in the nuts in so many ways.

I don't like anything about what I'm reading in this matchup of our O vs. their D. 

Vontae Davis is one of the highest ranked CBs in the NFL by pretty much every grading site and metric and he's going to be all over Sanu. They are going to put 8 in the box to stop the run and try to force us to throw it to win. And throw it to who? Brandon Tate? Fuck.

Hate to be negative (and I'm usually one of the more optimistic guys) but this is trending poorly for us. That fumble/concussion by AJ was a kick in the nuts in so many ways.

I don't think it's as bleak as all that. Gresham needs to, and can have, a big game like he did against Denver. He's just going to have to nut up and take the needle. What happened to Sanu the last time AJ was out? He lit it up. Granted, he's been kinda invisible since Green returned, but that can change. We have Hill and Bernard. Why don't we get Hewitt more involved? Little is a non-factor in my mind but...and this is a HUGE but...can the recently activated Cobi Hamilton show up and have a big game? I think he can. He's got all the skills. Perhaps his time on the practice squad has helped him.

It's all going to come down to our defense and special teams lighting them up, and our run game being established. Oh, and not getting "bad" Andy. A decent NFL QB has success throwing the ball to backups when he needs to. Depends which Andy shows up.

That's what happened the first time around. Our offense will get shutout cause I don't believe in Andy we might get a FG if we are lucky

It's easy to say they should JUST RUN THE BALL, but what if your first three drives are three and out, and runnin' ain't workin'?

You have to be able to throw it too. Assuming AJ is out, I'm hoping there's some lightning in a bottle with one or two of these backups. Could be all we need is a couple of big plays. A critical first down, break a tackle for a big gain, make a nice catch... Maybe the unfamiliarity will have advantages. Unpredictability.

Archived