Garage door insulation

MichaelWeston

i researched this as well. from what i gathered, it insulates the door panels and some in between the vertical breaks, but doesnt do much for the gaps/leaks around the border,.. so a good border seal is just as important... so a relaly good install with insultaion is great.. insulation with a mediocre install is pointless..

A few thoughts on the matter.

When I lived up north near the Wisconsin border, I had an insulated garage door.  I had insulated everything else too.  An insulated door is only as good as the insulation around it and vice versa.  Only so much insulation can go on a garage door to seal out some of the cold.  Really good way to check is to get an energy inspection before and after insulation.  In some locations the energy inspection is free and they offer professional advice on how to do a better job.  They have a machine that can see where the heat loss is at.

1.  Is it going to be a heated garage ?

2.  Is the rest of the garage insulated on the sides and possibly top ?

3.  Is the door insulated with loose panels or is it foam filled ?

etc...

Garage doors are a pain in the ass.  No garage door I've ever had stays level for long.  The floor settles or has already settled and adjusting the door to fill the gap is exhausting at times.  I've resorted to adding an extra thick garage door seal on the bottom to prevent any air or water infiltration.  Most garage door companies will also give you free estimates on their products.

etc...

This was 2011. I had a DVR out there too. And I was able to fit 3 cars in there along with my riding mower. Probably the last year I got to enjoy it, my first kid was born in late 2010 :24:

i have been wanting to drywall the garage since we got here, never really gave insulating it much thought, as it stands, in the winter, its a win as the sun BAKES the front of the house starting at 6am until 3pm,  so the garage is a solid 20 degrees warmer than outside even at night...in the summer the garage is hot as shit unless we open the doors and let the wind whip through.. which kicks up lots of dust, its dusty as shit here..

im not sure i would put a TV out there, its a 3 car garage and about 25 feet deep, i am already going to be at 5 directv boxes, im not sure i want to go with 6 or more.. but once i get the workshop area setup out there, i may change my mind.

I need to run many many more outlets in the garage, i have 1 outlet... i want about 10...

sadly theyd all be on the same breaker.. which is lame...

im going to have to repave the driveway at some point too... its totally fucked.. builder was a cheapass and poured mnany poorly.. mine didnt go to hell until after the warranty period..

i have been wanting to drywall the garage since we got here, never really gave insulating it much thought, as it stands, in the winter, its a win as the sun BAKES the front of the house starting at 6am until 3pm,  so the garage is a solid 20 degrees warmer than outside even at night...in the summer the garage is hot as shit unless we open the doors and let the wind whip through.. which kicks up lots of dust, its dusty as shit here..

im not sure i would put a TV out there, its a 3 car garage and about 25 feet deep, i am already going to be at 5 directv boxes, im not sure i want to go with 6 or more.. but once i get the workshop area setup out there, i may change my mind.

I need to run many many more outlets in the garage, i have 1 outlet... i want about 10...

sadly theyd all be on the same breaker.. which is lame...

im going to have to repave the driveway at some point too... its totally fucked.. builder was a cheapass and poured mnany poorly.. mine didnt go to hell until after the warranty period..

The insulation would make it better. My old house faced west, and it was never horribly hot in the garage.

Is the driveway concrete or pavement? A lot of builders around here half ass their concrete driveways, by failing to do a horrible job prepping for the concrete. They end up sinking in places.

The insulation would make it better. My old house faced west, and it was never horribly hot in the garage.

Is the driveway concrete or pavement? A lot of builders around here half ass their concrete driveways, by failing to do a horrible job prepping for the concrete. They end up sinking in places.

yea, typical cheap builder contracting out to lazy contractor... concrete.. not allowed to have pavement.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived