2014 Bengals LVP's (non-Dalton)

Hi - I've been reading this board since the beginning, and for whatever reason felt compelled to write my first post.

This season was disappointing.  It feels wrong to get too upset about 10 wins and the playoffs - but I was hoping for improvement over last year and instead we were clearly worse.  A couple of players stand out as major disappointments.

2014 Bengals Non-Dalton LVP's

Margus Hunt: The pass rush was nonexistent all year, most blatantly yesterday and last week at Pitt.  I had high hopes for Hunt, and the pre-season talk was very positive.  But he could barely get on the field, and never made an impact.  Huge disappointment to this point in his career.

Geno Atkins: Maybe it was wrong to expect a full recovery from the ACL tear (although it seemed like that was anticipated to happen at some point this season).  But he never got close to being the 'old Geno'.  I'm hoping he's back next season, but who knows...

Emanuel Lamur:  It might seem unfair to put him here - he's an undrafted rookie who was a capable starting linebacker in his first full season.  But after hearing so much about his speed, size and athleticism, my expectations were really high.  In reality he was average.  Which is fine - but disappointing. 

Mohammed Sanu - This would have seemed crazy half way through the season, but he disappeared down the stretch aside from several huge drops.  Our biggest problem on offense vs. Indy (much more than Dalton, IMO) was the total lack of pass-catching weapons.  Sanu was the one guy who could have stepped up, and he didn't.  At all.

Giovanni Bernard - I was certain that he was primed for a huge year, no matter how the carries were split with Hill.  Tried hard to draft him in my FF auction, but the price got crazy high.  But he seems to have lost some of the sizzle from his rookie year.  Is it too many runs up the middle?  Not enough creativity in how he's used?  Whatever it is, he wasn't good enough this year.

Those are my LVP's - let me know if you agree or disagree, and add any others you can think of...

Offense - Sanu

Defense - Domata Peko

Even coming off the ACL, Atkins is far more impactful than Peko. Down the stretch, without paying attention to personnel, you could tell when Brandon Thompson went to the bench and Peko came in.

I put Gio Bernard's lack if production squarely on Hue Jackson. It was painful watching Bernard run between the tackles for the first eight weeks if the season.

Lamar's role in this team is supposed to be primarily a coverage linebacker in the nickel. He'll never be a consistent factor against the run. Since he was forced into a different set of duties, I'll give him a pass.

Margus Hunt? I have no idea if he's any good or not. It's impossible to tell what the defensive ends were trying to do this year. When Dunlap pinned his ears back and rushed the passer, he was consistently effective. The problem is he only did that about a quarter of the time. Was that by design, or was he taking plays off? No idea. My point is I have no idea what they were asking Hunt to do.

LVP-

Defense: Geathers. I see him out there, but thats about it. He hasnt done anything in years- except maybe have naked pics of Mike Browns wife that he is extorting a paycheck for.

Offense: I'd say Sanzenbacher. Sanu had a few clutch games when AJ went down, so I cant keep him in consideration. But after losing Hawkins, Sanz had the opportunity to step up and take the quick/slot role and really did  nothing whatsoever.

Coaching: VERY tough one. I think there were several bums. Hue Jackson being the most impactful bum, Zampese, and the Hayes brothers, specifically the DL coach Hayes. All were just terrible, terrible in their roles.

I might be in the minority, but I think Margus Hunt would play alot better as a DT on passing downs.

He strength is not being utilized correctly

He thinks too much playing DE.

And he's playing RDE, which means he is usually going up against a decent LT

I might be in the minority, but I think Margus Hunt would play alot better as a DT on passing downs.

He strength is not being utilized correctly

He thinks too much playing DE.

And he's playing RDE, which means he is usually going up against a decent LT

Hunt isn't mean enough--he will never have that killer instinct a great (or even good) DL needs. 

Time for him to go.

PLEASE DON'T DRAFT ANY MORE PROJECTS IN THE FIRST 3 ROUNDS!

PLEASE DON'T DRAFT ANY MORE PROJECTS IN THE FIRST 3 ROUNDS!

This is the most aggravating thing about bengal drafts for me. Even Super Bowl champs don't have the luxury of drafting a 3-4 year project in the 2nd round, why in the fuck do the bengals continue doing this in the first three rounds? It's frustrating and mind boggling.

Margus recorded our only sack yesterday while Carlos took the day off pouting.

For LVP I would say Dishonorable Mention goes

to Greg Little since he was only here for part of

the season as a rent-a-receiver.

Stats: One catch, one 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike

conduct hitting some Browns tool out of bounds.

Archived