Trade Dalton for RG3

Only if we have the best backup QB in the NFL. RG3 only plays about half the time.

It's definitely a factor.  To me, it's a risk worth taking, though.

He tore up his knee as a rookie.  Mike Shanahan never should have let him back into that playoff game.  Sloppy field, great defense, sprained knee.  That all led to a predictable outcome.

The dislocated ankle last year was just one of those things.  

He's not Jake Locker, where it's a different twist or sprain every week and you never know if he's going to be ready to go.

Has anyone watched RG3 play? He's ruined. He has awful mechanics. If his first read isn't open he doesn't even toss a Dalton dump off, he tries to run and gets blown up. He was successful in 2012 because he ran a read option with a great running game that lived and died on the play action. After his ACL he doesn't scare anyone with his legs, and the part of his game that made him great is gone. He is not a good passer, he is a bad leader, and he can't even stay on the field.

RGIII has terrible mechanics, can't read defenses, and makes worse decisions than Dalton... and you guys want him over Dalton?

Change for changes sake are ridiculous, but even more so when you get someone worse than what you have.

If you're going to fuck up... then fuck UP not down.

Has anyone watched RG3 play? He's ruined. He has awful mechanics. If his first read isn't open he doesn't even toss a Dalton dump off, he tries to run and gets blown up. He was successful in 2012 because he ran a read option with a great running game that lived and died on the play action. After his ACL he doesn't scare anyone with his legs, and the part of his game that made him great is gone. He is not a good passer, he is a bad leader, and he can't even stay on the field.

Other than that, he sounds pretty good... :ninja:

If you have watched both guys play then you know that RG3 has a much higher ceiling than Dalton, Dalton has hit his ceiling and he doesn't have the tools to get much better than what he is now. 

RG3's issues can be corrected with proper coaching, that is why I think it's a good deal for the Bengals because the potential of adding a QB that can be the reason why you win is there. 

You're overstating it.  He fell off in Year 2, but he was coming off the knee surgery.  Still, his numbers weren't horrible.  Just "not good".

If his rookie year was an indicator of his ceiling, he can be great.  If the past two years are the better indicator, he's still (as scharm likes to say) an 80 something quarterback.  And that's been good enough for the playoffs for 4 straight years.

There are two real risks with this trade.  Injury.  Which you can't do anything about.  And blowing up the locker room.  That begs the question, "Does anyone hear really believe that Andy Dalton is THE LEADER of this team?".  I don't.

I think Andrew Whitworth and A.J. Green are much higher up the ladder, with Jeremy Hill right behind them.  Part of the problem RGIII had coming in was that he went to a rudderless team that sucked.  Ownership anointed him, and he let "being the man" go to his head.  In Cincinnati, he'd be on a team that knows what success looks like, has a solid core of vets, and wouldn't stand for him showing his ass.

Again, I like the fit.  It ain't gonna happen, but I like the fit.

You're overstating it.  He fell off in Year 2, but he was coming off the knee surgery.  Still, his numbers weren't horrible.  Just "not good".

If his rookie year was an indicator of his ceiling, he can be great.  If the past two years are the better indicator, he's still (as scharm likes to say) an 80 something quarterback.  And that's been good enough for the playoffs for 4 straight years.

There are two real risks with this trade.  Injury.  Which you can't do anything about.  And blowing up the locker room.  That begs the question, "Does anyone hear really believe that Andy Dalton is THE LEADER of this team?".  I don't.

I think Andrew Whitworth and A.J. Green are much higher up the ladder, with Jeremy Hill right behind them.  Part of the problem RGIII had coming in was that he went to a rudderless team that sucked.  Ownership anointed him, and he let "being the man" go to his head.  In Cincinnati, he'd be on a team that knows what success looks like, has a solid core of vets, and wouldn't stand for him showing his ass.

What this didn't inspire you?

https://vine.co/v/OdHYr6zAUP3

:ninja:

RGIII has terrible mechanics, can't read defenses, and makes worse decisions than Dalton... and you guys want him over Dalton?

Change for changes sake are ridiculous, but even more so when you get someone worse than what you have.

If you're going to fuck up... then fuck UP not down.

For all of that he has a career QB rating and TD/INT ratio that is better than Dalton's. If RG3 is awful then then why does he better stats than Dalton? Also issues with mechanics, decision making, and reading defenses can be improved upon with good coaching.  

If we could somehow take him off their hands, it would be the best move this franchise has ever made. You'd have to think that organization is gonna want SOMETHING in return, unless they just reaaaally wanna get rid of him. I dunno.

It'd be awesome. I'd rather just make a move for Winston

AJ Green is a very good player and the top talent on offense here but he is not a leader. He is one of the quietest players on this team.

If we could somehow take him off their hands, it would be the best move this franchise has ever made. You'd have to think that organization is gonna want SOMETHING in return, unless they just reaaaally wanna get rid of him. I dunno.

I think they are going to have get rid of him, by either trade or either cutting him because you can't afford to pay a back up starters money and Gruden has moved on from the idea of RG3 being his starting QB. I think Gruden would love to have Andy as his QB, he's the only guy to have success in his system at the NFL level. 

It's probably the best option for both franchises, imo. I like Winston but he won't make it past the first 2 picks of the draft and I don't think we have enough to trade up to get him. 

Washington just got a new GM.     Maybe he's looking to destroy his career quickly by dumping RG3 straight up for Dalton? 

RG3 might be known as a coach killer.    At first glance that's a bad thing, but when you consider our owner isn't firing shit.   So it might be worth it to acquire RG3 just to get Marvin fired.

If you have watched both guys play then you know that RG3 has a much higher ceiling than Dalton, Dalton has hit his ceiling and he doesn't have the tools to get much better than what he is now. 

RG3's issues can be corrected with proper coaching, that is why I think it's a good deal for the Bengals because the potential of adding a QB that can be the reason why you win is there. 

Just to play devil's advocate...  You didn't see anything close to Andy Dalton's "ceiling" this year because he never had a full compliment of weapons.  That said, I agree that there's no question that RGIII has the higher ceiling of the two.  

AJ Green is a very good player and the top talent on offense here but he is not a leader. He is one of the quietest players on this team.

I would say that's one of the problems of this team, our best players are quiet guys for the most part. Geno, Leon, AJ, Dalton, Andre, and Zetlier are all guys who have earned the right to be leaders in the locker room based on their play but they are not vocal guys. I would say the leaders would be Whit, Peko, Geathers and Whit is the only guy who is actually very good. 

Hopefully Marvin can get some of the young guys like AJ and Geno to be more vocal and take on leadership roles within the team.

For all of that he has a career QB rating and TD/INT ratio that is better than Dalton's. If RG3 is awful then then why does he better stats than Dalton? Also issues with mechanics, decision making, and reading defenses can be improved upon with good coaching.  

His career stats are boosted by his amazing rookie season which - again - was an offense based on the read option and play action. He played against 10 every snap because he was so electric as a running threat. He does not have that in his game anymore. He's just another guy with his legs now. He was never a great passer in the NFL, his legs and the option opened up the pass for him.

As to the second part... Why do we need a guy who MIGHT be able to be coached to do what our guy already does?

His career stats are boosted by his amazing rookie season which - again - was an offense based on the read option and play action. He played against 10 every snap because he was so electric as a running threat. He does not have that in his game anymore. He's just another guy with his legs now. He was never a great passer in the NFL, his legs and the option opened up the pass for him.

As to the second part... Why do we need a guy who MIGHT be able to be coached to do what our guy already does?

Dalton had a bad year in 2014 and threw 19 TDs against 17 interceptions.

RGIII hada bad 2013 and threw 16 and 12. 

Their floor looks very similar.

Look, I like Andy Dalton.  I'm not in the choir singing for him to be run out of town.  If you want viable options to upgrade the quarterback position, I think RGIII is Plan A.  I DO NOT think Jay Cutler is one of those "viable options".  Mike Glennon is a shot in the dark.  One of the top 3 quarterbacks wold have to slip significantly for the Bengals to have a shot - even to trade up for.  It could happen.  And it might not.

In the end, the Bengals probably aren't going to explore any of those options (or any at all), and Andy Dalton will be the Week 1 starter.

Famous Jameis in the Jungle.  I could dig that.  Will be interesting to see if he falls down the draft board like Johnny.  Not that we would pull the trigger..

RG3 is 14 - 23 as a starter, and 0 - 1 in the playoffs. Facts are facts, ask any Skins fan and they would LOVE to trade Dalton for RG3... They know what he can and can't do! he isn't good people. Damn I abhor these off season pipe dreams where people can't grasp reality.

As far as mechanics, decision making, and reading defenses being taught... The same was said about Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, and Tim Tebow.

Archived