Fire Marvin Lewis crowd should be mindful of history

Vince Lombardi couldn't fix Dalton - and given where this team has been in drafts since it's hard to say they could have had any opps to acquire a ringer since Dalton's pick. I don't see the FA floor sweepings that have been floating around since then to have been able to take away Dalton's job either. 

Does Mike Glennon or Hoyer push Dalton out of his starting role? 

Our time would be better spent talking about mock drafts or the pros and cons of insulated garage doors than speculating about whether Marvin Lewis will be fired or step down.

He's not going anywhere. He's not going to jump and nobody is going to push him.

Hell, he was just joking about how coaches who make the playoffs four years in a row don't get fired.

Vince Lombardi couldn't fix Dalton - and given where this team has been in drafts since it's hard to say they could have had any opps to acquire a ringer since Dalton's pick. I don't see the FA floor sweepings that have been floating around since then to have been able to take away Dalton's job either. 
Does Mike Glennon or Hoyer push Dalton out of his starting role? 

Not Hoyer. Limited arm strength. Scrappy, half way mobile. Accurate, but streaky. He's a poor man's Andy Dalton.

Mike Glennon's size and arm talent are next level. He could, conceivably, be a Top 5 quarterback in the league. He's a long way from it, but the potential is there.

If Mike was to let Marvin go, I would at least like it to be in favor of someone that's proven they can win in the postseason. Ala Bill Cowher , Gruden Andy Reid...

Love ya, but... Ha!

"My job is to win games and get the team to the Super Bowl and win the Super Bowl, not just get there," said Lewis. "I'm disappointed for the football. I'm disappointed for our fans. I'm disappointed for the city. The city needs to win on a big scale. They deserve it, and that's what I'm disappointed in. It's not about me, it's about them. One day when I walk out of here, hopefully I leave that trophy in here, and I just keep on stepping. That's all I want to do. I'm telling you, that's all I want to do, and you'll never hear from me again."

Guys, it could be worse.

Remember when Shula was our hope?

When we traded up to draft Ki-Jana?

When we passed on Ditka's offer to draft Akili

Jeff Blake's moon balls?

The "Carl Pickens" clause?

Trading Boomer to the Jets

Bruce Coslet resigning in disgust?

Gus Frerotte?

Listen to this... it may help with some perspective:

https://db.tt/ff3YqAij

Guys, it could be worse.

Remember when Shula was our hope?
When we traded up to draft Ki-Jana?
When we passed on Ditka's offer to draft Akili
Jeff Blake's moon balls?
The "Carl Pickens" clause?
Trading Boomer to the Jets
Bruce Coslet resigning in disgust?
Gus Frerotte?

Listen to this... it may help with some perspective:
https://db.tt/ff3YqAij

You forgot Neil Oddonell.

No reason to want Marvin replaced until you see some other changes,  most notably revamping the entire coaching staff and hiring a GM, Marvin has a lot of shortcomings and has lost the locker room a few times, not sure how good of a coach Marvin could have been in the right situation but pretty sure this isn't the right situation and he's never going to get to be in the right situation

Marvin is stuck here and you are stuck with Marvin so either you accept rooting for a team that will do just enough to keep your hopes up or you develop apathy for the organization like I did

No reason to want Marvin replaced until you see some other changes,  most notably revamping the entire coaching staff and hiring a GM, Marvin has a lot of shortcomings and has lost the locker room a few times, not sure how good of a coach Marvin could have been in the right situation but pretty sure this isn't the right situation and he's never going to get to be in the right situation

Marvin is stuck here and you are stuck with Marvin so either you accept rooting for a team that will do just enough to keep your hopes up or you develop apathy for the organization like I did

The only way the coaching staff would ever be revamped is if Marvin Lewis is gone. He'll tweak it, but he's not going to clean house. Half of his staff has been here with him the entire time and unless I'm forgetting someone, Paul Alexander is the only coach that Marvin didn't hire.

As for the front office, what's the problem? This post is about five years too late.

Anybody the Bengals bring in is going to be making it up as they go along just like Lewis was when he was hired.  Lewis has made every mistake there is to make.  At some point, he's going to get it right.  And by getting it wrong in so many different ways over the past 12 years, the odds are in his favor that he'll crack the code soon. 

That's straight from The World According To GARP.  That's like saying that if a house has been destroyed by having had an airplane smash into it, it's a great bargain because it's "pre-disastered".  If you flip a coin 20 times and it comes up heads each time, the odds that it will be tails the next time is EXACTLY THE SAME as it was for the previous 20 flips - the notion that it's gotta come up tails next time because it's "due" is nonesense.  The notion that at some point Marvin is gonna get it right (tails) because he's had it wrong (heads) so many times before seems to me to be the same.  And at some point it becomes necessary to check to see if it's a two-headed coin, because some coins will NEVER come up tails no matter how patient you are with it.

I love September thru December.  I hate January.  I wish I had an opinion about February.

That's straight from The World According To GARP.  That's like saying that if a house has been destroyed by having had an airplane smash into it, it's a great bargain because it's "pre-disastered".  If you flip a coin 20 times and it comes up heads each time, the odds that it will be tails the next time is EXACTLY THE SAME as it was for the previous 20 flips - the notion that it's gotta come up tails next time because it's "due" is nonesense.  The notion that at some point Marvin is gonna get it right (tails) because he's had it wrong (heads) so many times before seems to me to be the same.  And at some point it becomes necessary to check to see if it's a two-headed coin, because some coins will NEVER come up tails no matter how patient you are with it.

I love September thru December.  I hate January.  I wish I had an opinion about February.

Its going to be cold in Cincinnati.

And Marvin will continue to see improvement every week.

Reverend!

I will ask a parallel line question. It is not comparison.

I am a Colt fan. After this weekend, I will have seen my team be two-and-done for two consecutive seasons. I wonder if they will ever "get over the hump". I have a great young QB, but hit-and-miss most everywhere else. Still, I think that the "window" is small. Do I begin to think my HC just doesn't have it for the big prize? Should I expect "changes" to get this "fixed" before it's too late?

Or am I just full of shit?

I must quibble with your question.

1. Two is less than six, and 2 is significantly more than 0
  2. I don't consider our QB "great".  Serviceable, but not great
  3. Has your head coach been there for over a decade?
  4. As a Colts fan, I still have a trove of "Super Bowl XLI Champions" paraphernalia that I can burn for warmth over the long, cold postseason.  They burn warmer and longer than 25 year old AFC Champion sweatshirts

I note that you say it was "Not for comparison", but regardless of that fact, I think that yes, you are full of shit.

I must quibble with your question.

• Two is less than six, and 2 is significantly more than 0
  • I don't consider our QB "great".  Serviceable, but not great
  • Has your head coach been there for over a decade?
  • As a Colts fan, I still have a trove of "Super Bowl XLI Champions" paraphernalia that I can burn for warmth over the long, cold postseason.  They burn warmer and longer than 25 year old AFC Champion sweatshirts
I note that you say it was "Not for comparison", but regardless of that fact, I think that yes, you are full of shit.
It was really intended as a parody, in the event it was missed.

Archived