I'd Trade the Entire Draft

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/08/report-amari-cooper-landon-collins-leaving-alabama-for-nfl-draft/

...for Amari Cooper.

Obviously, it wouldn't take that many picks, but if I were the Bengals GM, I'd be willing to part with an awful lot to go up and get Cooper.

It would give the Bengals a top shelf weapon opposite A.J. Green who would be on a completely different contract cycle. He's fast. He blocks. He catches everything. He runs great routes and understands the game. He wins.

Amari Cooper would be the perfect addition.

Address the defensive line through free agency and draft this kid!

In the same year there's a can't miss Oregon QB a top the draft?   Seems familar.

Kind of ironic, I suppose.

About Mariotta, though... There's nothing "can't miss" about him.  It's not that hard to throw to receivers that don't have a defender within ten yards of them.  He might be good 'un, but he's nowhere near "can't miss". 

Like the Falcons jumping up 21 spots for Juilo Jones when they'd had three straight winning seasons, but hadn't won a playoff game?  That unrealistic?

Boom. Served.

I like the idea, btw, would show some sense of urgency and "going for it" that would be decidedly unlike anything, really, that the Bengals have ever done. 

The Falcons traded up to Julio.   A similar move proposed here.

Cleveland got 1st, 2nd, 4th in 2011 and 1st and 4th in 2012.

Now of course Cleveland was doing the picking but they got this   Phil Taylor, Greg Little, Owen Marecic, and Brandon Weeden.

On one hand if someone is going to let you go and get a franchise player what looks like a huge price to pay doesn't look that way afterward.    Of course,  I'm sure if another team was drafting and a little hindsight the Browns could have done better.

Atlanta was 1 drive away from the Superbowl but has been in flames since probably to holes due to so many picks given up.

The Falcons traded up to Julio.   A similar move proposed here.

Cleveland got 1st, 2nd, 4th in 2011 and 1st and 4th in 2012.

Now of course Cleveland was doing the picking but they got this   Phil Taylor, Greg Little, Owen Marecic, and Brandon Weeden.

On one hand if someone is going to let you go and get a franchise player what looks like a huge price to pay doesn't look that way afterward.    Of course,  I'm sure if another team was drafting and a little hindsight the Browns could have done better.

Atlanta was 1 drive away from the Superbowl but has been in flames since probably to holes due to so many picks given up.

The picks given up certainly didn't help.  You can't have it both ways, though.  You either "go for it" or you don't.

The Bengals have reached the point where mid-round picks aren't even a lock to make the roster.  Giving up 1's and 2's will leave a mark, but let's face it...  Picking at 21 or 25 isn't going to bring in franchise type guys very often.  The best thing about Amari Cooper is that while his ceiling is Top 5, he also has a very high floor.  College receivers that bust are normally guys that aren't that fast and have just out bodied defenders in college or were part of a gimmick system that got them into space all the time.  Cooper's got legitimate speed and played in a pro style offense.  He DESTROYED man coverage last season.  The only knock on him is his height.  I've seen him listed at 6'1, but I,m not sure he's quite that tall.

Cooper and Green together would be a nightmare for defensive coordinators.  Add to that the Bengals newly minted running game, and you're talking about a Top 5 offense.  Even with Andy Dalton running it.     

The picks given up certainly didn't help.  You can't have it both ways, though.  You either "go for it" or you don't.

The Bengals have reached the point where mid-round picks aren't even a lock to make the roster.  Giving up 1's and 2's will leave a mark, but let's face it...  Picking at 21 or 25 isn't going to bring in franchise type guys very often.  The best thing about Amari Cooper is that while his ceiling is Top 5, he also has a very high floor.  College receivers that bust are normally guys that aren't that fast and have just out bodied defenders in college or were part of a gimmick system that got them into space all the time.  Cooper's got legitimate speed and played in a pro style offense.  He DESTROYED man coverage last season.  The only knock on him is his height.  I've seen him listed at 6'1, but I,m not sure he's quite that tall.

Cooper and Green together would be a nightmare for defensive coordinators.  Add to that the Bengals newly minted running game, and you're talking about a Top 5 offense.  Even with Andy Dalton running it.     

Good point . We need a quality pick/game changer pick. Not so much with quantity of picks now.Better be damn sure to hit a home run though.

Assuming Marvin Jones regains his old form, would you still make this trade BA ?.

Absolutely. Marvin Jones has shown the potential to be a good player. We need a couple GREAT players.

I'd say the same about Cecil Shorts. He's a guy that could come in here and fill a role. Nothing more. In 4 years, he's racked up 2300 receiving yards. Yaaaawn...

I can see a case made for trading up for a potential star, but a #2 WR doesn't seem to make much sense as a target. We want to run the ball with Hill and not pass a ton. We have Green, Jones, Eifert and Bernard. Not saying Cooper isn't good or wouldn't help, but just not much bang for your buck in going to get him.

To me, the potential trade up option would be if they thought there was a D Lineman who was an instant superstar. Leonard Williams and Randy Gregory seem to potentially fit that mold. 

Won't happen, but trading up and adding a Pro Bowl type D Lineman would be a bigger benefit given what we have and need than adding another big time WR. 

These threads are entertaining but beyond that nothing more. Today it costs too much to move up that far in the draft. You aren't talking about a 2&3 from this year. You are probably talking a 2, 4 and a first from next year. No thank you. Moving up for numerous first is not worth it. Besides we have been doing well in our drafts.

In the same year there's a can't miss Oregon QB a top the draft?   Seems familar.

There isn't a "can't miss" qb in this class.  Not by a long shot.  I feel sorry for at least the top 5 teams, probably top 8-10.  Almost all need a qb but are going to spend a high value pick on a qb that isn't worth it.

I'd rather take my chances on Jameis Winston IF I was going to give up a bunch of picks.  However, I think we need to just stay where we are and keep with the BPA strategy.  This team has a lot of needs and adding one good WR isn't going to put us over the top.  DL, LB, QB, WR and TE are all big needs, IMO.

Like the Falcons jumping up 21 spots for Juilo Jones when they'd had three straight winning seasons, but hadn't won a playoff game?  That unrealistic?

They won 10 games in 2 years after that playoff W, thanks to zero depth after they gutted that draft for Julio. 

I'd rather take my chances on Jameis Winston IF I was going to give up a bunch of picks.  However, I think we need to just stay where we are and keep with the BPA strategy.  This team has a lot of needs and adding one good WR isn't going to put us over the top.  DL, LB, QB, WR and TE are all big needs, IMO.

IMO Jameis is going to be the better pro. 

Archived