Stream Videos from Synology through receiver in basement?

so i have been watching the synology media in the bedroom mostly, which the audio is just from the tv.. works fantastically..

now that i have the "theatre room" set up in the basement, i want to watch movies down there the same way..

i have 7.1 surround sound setup, so i would obviously prefer to watch/listen via the surround sound than the tv audio... its a smart tv with DLNA built in, but thats where my problem lies.

apple tv doesnt have DLNA capability unless you jailbreak it, not gonna do that, i have an amazon fire stick, which doesnt have DLAN capability, there is an app, but it was on the confusing side.. so i dunno..

other obsticles:

receiver has 4 HDMI inputs, i have directv, blu ray, and wii u, would also like to add the xbox, that would be all of the ports used even if i remove the fire stick removed( i have another use for it anyway)

so DLNA is problem #1..

total ports is #2, i may look into the whole xbox one running my directv for me thing...

thoughts? does roku do a good job of DLNA from the synology?

so i have been watching the synology media in the bedroom mostly, which the audio is just from the tv.. works fantastically..

now that i have the "theatre room" set up in the basement, i want to watch movies down there the same way..

i have 7.1 surround sound setup, so i would obviously prefer to watch/listen via the surround sound than the tv audio... its a smart tv with DLNA built in, but thats where my problem lies.

apple tv doesnt have DLNA capability unless you jailbreak it, not gonna do that, i have an amazon fire stick, which doesnt have DLAN capability, there is an app, but it was on the confusing side.. so i dunno..

other obsticles:

receiver has 4 HDMI inputs, i have directv, blu ray, and wii u, would also like to add the xbox, that would be all of the ports used even if i remove the fire stick removed( i have another use for it anyway)

so DLNA is problem #1..

total ports is #2, i may look into the whole xbox one running my directv for me thing...

thoughts? does roku do a good job of DLNA from the synology?

Yes

I have a plex server set up on a headless nuc (with the NAS attached).  My Roku's run plex perfectly (I don't know about surround and all that though).  

Good news is that I got one Roku from a friend about a year ago for an awesome deal.  If you pick one up, I'd go with the Roku 3.  I think you can mirror some things on that now (prob not a mac).

Yes

apparently the xbox does a good job of this as well, i think im going to run the directv through the xbox down there, see how i like the xbox DLNA streaming, if its cool, get the media remote so i dont feel like a retard using a game controller to watch tv...

if i hate it, ill grab the roku stick, and do it that way..

hmmm.. actually i wonder if the blu ray player does the dlna streaming...

ive got some experimenting to do i guess..

Re: Plex - plex is cool, synology does almost everything plex does video streaming wise and does 4,000,000 things it doesnt do otherwise, so i probably wont go down the plex road...should have just as good of a solution straight up.

so i replaced the ridiculous HR21 receiver with a new genie client, SOOOO much better and faster..and like 10% of the receiver size..

tested blu ray DLNA. it has it.. but says every video file isnt compatible... so not gonna work...

so the only way i can do a Roku stick AAANNNDDD the xbox one down there is to run the directv through the xbox one...

or ditch the blu ray player... which seems odd... but we really dont use it much...

or stream all DLNA stuff through the xbox one... thats my next test...

Archived