State of the Union 2014

Go Skins

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/14-things-obama-didnt-get-from-the-2014-state-of-the-union/article/2558909?utm_content=bufferd8d07&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

President Obama is set to make numerous proposals — some new, some old — in his State of the Union address Tuesday. Here’s a list of 14 things Obama said he wanted during the 2014 State of the Union address but didn’t get.

1. Corporate tax reform

“Let’s work together to close [tax] loopholes, end those incentives to ship jobs overseas, and lower tax rates for businesses that create jobs here at home.”

Former Rep. Dave Camp, R-Mich., introduced a corporate tax reform proposal that was revenue-neutral, closed loopholes and cut the top corporate tax rate to 25 percent. But House Speaker John Boehner scoffed at the plan, and it never received a vote.

2. Infrastructure development

“We can take the money we save with this transition to tax reform to create jobs rebuilding our roads, upgrading our ports, unclogging our commutes.”

Transportation was a hot topic as the Highway Trust Fund neared insolvency in August 2014, but Congress only managed to pass a short-term fix. The Highway Trust Fund now faces depletion in May 2015. Increasing the federal gas tax would be one easy fix, but Congressional leadership seems opposed to the idea.

3. Manufacturing hubs

“My administration has launched two hubs for high-tech manufacturing in Raleigh and Youngstown, where we’ve connected businesses to research universities that can help America lead the world in advanced technologies. Tonight, I’m announcing we’ll launch six more this year.”

Instead of six, only two more manufacturing hubs were launched in 2014, in Detroit and Chicago. Another was announced in Knoxville, Tenn., on Jan. 9.

4. Patent reform

“Let’s pass a patent reform bill that allows our businesses to stay focused on innovation, not costly, needless litigation.”

The Innovation Act passed the House with 325 votes in favor, but that was one month prior to Obama's 2014 State of the Union address. Patent reform went nowhere in the Senate Judiciary Committee in 2014. There is some speculation it might come up again in 2015.

5. Immigration

“Let’s get immigration reform done this year.”

Immigration reform bills did not make any real progress, but Obama did act unilaterally to make up to 5 million illegal immigrants eligible for temporary legal status.

6. Unemployment insurance

“Congress needs to restore the unemployment insurance you just let expire for 1.6 million people.”

Legislation was introduced in the House and the Senate with bipartisan cosponsors, but the bills never made any progress.

7. Universal pre-K

“Last year, I asked this Congress to help states make high-quality pre-K available to every four year-old. ... I repeat that request tonight.”

The Pre-K for USA Act garnered just five cosponsors in the House and never gained any traction.

8. Minimum wage

“To reach millions more, Congress needs to get on board. ... Tom Harkin and George Miller have a bill to fix that by lifting the minimum wage to $10.10. ... Say yes. Give America a raise.”

Obama gave employees of federal contractors a minimum wage hike to $10.10 an hour, but a nationwide minimum wage increase never made any progress in Congress. Still, 29 states have minimum wages higher than the federal minimum wage, with numerous cities raising their minimum wages too.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/20/pf/fafsa-college-state-of-the-union-obama/index.html

Students are required to complete a FAFSA form -- the Free Application for Federal Student Aid -- in order to get aid from the federal and local governments.

Funding can include loans as well as money that students don't have to pay back -- scholarships, grants and work-study gigs.

But the form can be a huge pain in the butt to fill out. According to the White House, more than a million students who qualify for need-based Federal Pell Grants miss out, because they fail to file the form.

Obama, as part of his legislative push to help middle-class families, has proposed cutting 27 of the "most burdensome and difficult-to-verify questions."

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/20/pf/fafsa-college-state-of-the-union-obama/index.html

Students are required to complete a FAFSA form -- the Free Application for Federal Student Aid -- in order to get aid from the federal and local governments.

Funding can include loans as well as money that students don't have to pay back -- scholarships, grants and work-study gigs.

But the form can be a huge pain in the butt to fill out. According to the White House, more than a million students who qualify for need-based Federal Pell Grants miss out, because they fail to file the form.

Obama, as part of his legislative push to help middle-class families, has proposed cutting 27 of the "most burdensome and difficult-to-verify questions."

That sounds like their problem to me. Virtually all of us that had to pay for our own college filled out the FAFSA each time we needed to. Its not rocket science, and everyone does it to see what they can qualify for and to receive help with costs. If someone is too lazy to bother fill out and file the form, fuck em. It doesnt get any simpler than FAFSA to get money for school.

Now, I dont care if they remove questions to make it easier, at all.. and am for it honestly. But those 1 million students arent victims like the WH is trying to imply- they are unmotivated. Every school helps students fill those out if need be. Or a friend can. Or a family member can.

That sounds like their problem to me. Virtually all of us that had to pay for our own college filled out the FAFSA each time we needed to. Its not rocket science, and everyone does it to see what they can qualify for and to receive help with costs. If someone is too lazy to bother fill out and file the form, fuck em. It doesnt get any simpler than FAFSA to get money for school.

Now, I dont care if they remove questions to make it easier, at all.. and am for it honestly. But those 1 million students arent victims like the WH is trying to imply- they are unmotivated. Every school helps students fill those out if need be. Or a friend can. Or a family member can.

I feel like High School Councilors should be helping them with that?

Archived