Since the Patriots have been caught cheating, again...

[quote name="Jackie Treehorn" post="1426305" timestamp="1421866544"]

Another thing to consider: According to the Scott Van Pelt show, they caught this at halftime of the game and the Patriots used fully inflated balls for the whole 2nd half. So they outscored the Colts 17-7 with deflated balls and 28-0 with the fully inflated balls. The idea of making them forfeit the game or that it gave them some huge advantages is clearly ludicrous.[/quote

It's not the outcome, it's the intent and New England consistently has the intent to circumnavigate the system. Penalties should be severe. A forfeit won't happen.

The bounty issue with the Saints had nothing to do with them winning games either yet they had the hammer dropped on them to include coaches AND players being suspended for long periods of time.

Isn't there a big difference between an alleged organized group of people trying to injure and possibly end people's careers and a team changing the ball because they're QB likes it better that way? I think you're talking apples and oranges here.

[quote name="Jackie Treehorn" post="1426305" timestamp="1421866544"]

Another thing to consider: According to the Scott Van Pelt show, they caught this at halftime of the game and the Patriots used fully inflated balls for the whole 2nd half. So they outscored the Colts 17-7 with deflated balls and 28-0 with the fully inflated balls. The idea of making them forfeit the game or that it gave them some huge advantages is clearly ludicrous.[/quote

It's not the outcome, it's the intent and New England consistently has the intent to circumnavigate the system. Penalties should be severe. A forfeit won't happen.

I totally agree they should be punished and that will come in draft picks and fines. There were a few different QB's on the radio that said that the only people that have any input on the way the balls are handled are the equipment managers and the QB. It sounds doubtful that any coach had a direct hand in this.

Isn't there a big difference between an alleged organized group of people trying to injure and possibly end people's careers and a team changing the ball because they're QB likes it better that way? I think you're talking apples and oranges here.

When the same group of people are repeat offenders you drop the hammer. Cheating is cheating.

I totally agree they should be punished and that will come in draft picks and fines. There were a few different QB's on the radio that said that the only people that have any input on the way the balls are handled are the equipment managers and the QB. It sounds doubtful that any coach had a direct hand in this.

Since it involves Brady expect a $500 fine and he has to sign and give his Superbowl game jersey to Roger Goodell.

The coach is responsible for the team. The equipment manager wouldn't do this without direction from above.

For those wondering why teams are even allowed to use their own balls in the first place, I can tell you from first hand experience using NFL footballs that it is absolutely required.  

My team in high school used nothing but the official NFL "Duke" footballs.  When they're brand new, they have a clear, glossy coat on them and they absolutely suck to throw, at first.  You have to sit there and rub that clear gloss into the ball (usually takes a good while for each ball).  Once that's rubbed in to your liking, they're fantastic to throw.  Perfectly balanced, great grip, even when they get a little wet.  

Now, as for the air pressure, those balls do get hard and slippery in colder weather when they're fully inflated.  Taking 2 pounds of air out of them in that kind of weather would absolutely make a huge difference in throwing it.  There's way more grip when the ball has a little more give to it.  

Another thing to consider: According to the Scott Van Pelt show, they caught this at halftime of the game and the Patriots used fully inflated balls for the whole 2nd half. So they outscored the Colts 17-7 with deflated balls and 28-0 with the fully inflated balls. The idea of making them forfeit the game or that it gave them some huge advantages is clearly ludicrous.

Bingo!  People just need a reason to downgrade the success of a team that is not "theirs."  Its ridiculous.  The Colts got steamrolled right the fuck out of Gillette Stadium.  Plain and simple.  S.T.E.A.M.R.O.L.L.E.D!!!!

If it didn't make a difference why do it?

It's cheating. 100%. That's why we have rules. Belicheck, repeat offender, should be banned for a year (Payton) and the Pats lose their picks for a bit.

Yes the Colts probably wouldn't have won. But that's not the point. Break the rules, get punished.

I don't believe it made enough of a difference to excuse to blow outs of the Colts.   IMO, the better team won.

If you would have quoted my whole response, I prescribed a punishment.   I don't agree with the Colts being placed in the Superbowl. 

Bingo!  People just need a reason to downgrade the success of a team that is not "theirs."  Its ridiculous.  The Colts got steamrolled right the fuck out of Gillette Stadium.  Plain and simple.  S.T.E.A.M.R.O.L.L.E.D!!!!

Yes they did but it doesn't detract from the Cold Hard Fact that the balls were inspected and approved by the officiating crew, returned to the Patriots prior to kickoff then air was removed from them intentionally. They cheated and should face punishment.

Keep in mind, this won't go away unail after the Super Bowl is played. The NFL does not need this headache and New England needs to pay the price. No, the Colts are not taking their place, that is laughable.

Yes they did but it doesn't detract from the Cold Hard Fact that the balls were inspected and approved by the officiating crew, returned to the Patriots prior to kickoff then air was removed from them intentionally. They cheated and should face punishment.

Keep in mind, this won't go away unail after the Super Bowl is played. The NFL does not need this headache and New England needs to pay the price. No, the Colts areally not taking their place.

I don't believe all those details have been confirmed.    Have they tested the Indy footballs? 

I don't believe all those details have been confirmed.    Have they tested the Indy footballs? 

Yes it was. They test all balls. Patriots balls were checked and were fine, then given back to the Patriots, who then deflated them a little bit.

I don't think the balls being a little under inflated is a huge deal, but the fact that the Patriots knowingly broke the rules is a huge deal, especially after spygate.

Doesn't matter, New England has a history of this type of Bullshit and have already been caught once before. Besides, I don't hate Indy LOL.

What about the Ravens then? I think the Colts would have lost to the Pats anyway if the balls hadn't been tampered with but the Pats may well have beaten the Ravens with improper balls since nobody checked. That was a close game where ball pressure may have affected the outcome. Change a few 3rd down catches to drops and see what happens.

I think Belichick should be suspended from the league til after the 2016 draft and Brady should be suspended for this year's Superbowl. The Patriots as repeat offenders should lose their first and second draft picks in 2015. 

What about the Ravens then? I think the Colts would have lost to the Pats anyway if the balls hadn't been tampered with but the Pats may well have beaten the Ravens with improper balls since nobody checked. That was a close game where ball pressure may have affected the outcome. Change a few 3rd down catches to drops and see what happens.

I think Belichick should be suspended from the league til after the 2016 draft and Brady should be suspended for this year's Superbowl. The Patriots as repeat offenders should lose their first and second draft picks in 2015.

We all know Brady will NOT get suspended. He could kick box his wife unconscious at an Easter Church sevice and escape punishment.

We all know what's going to happen right?  Pats will be fined a million dollars (last time Belicheck was fined 500k) and maybe a draft pick will be taken away.  MAYBE.  Robert Kraft and Roger Goodell party together.....he's going to give them some sort of punishment that seems legit to the general public, but will in actuality be a joke when actually analyzed.  

Brady threw the ball 50 times against the Ravens, and no handoffs to running backs in the second half. 15 degree weather. If I were a Ravens fan, I would be hugely suspicious and pissed. No way this just started with the Colts game in the AFC Championship. 

Doesn't matter, New England has a history of this type of Bullshit and have already been caught once before. Besides, I don't hate Indy LOL.

I thought you were a Pats hater.     But it does matter if you are going to try to take away draft picks etc.

Goodell got burned with some of the punishments from Bounty Gate, so I'm sure they'll release these details if they exist before punishment.

Brady threw the ball 50 times against the Ravens, and no handoffs to running backs in the second half. 15 degree weather. If I were a Ravens fan, I would be hugely suspicious and pissed. No way this just started with the Colts game in the AFC Championship. 

Yep, it was only in the Colts game that the officials rechecked the balls. The Pats may have been doing this all year long as far as anyone knows.

We all know what's going to happen right?  Pats will be fined a million dollars (last time Belicheck was fined 500k) and maybe a draft pick will be taken away.  MAYBE.  Robert Kraft and Roger Goodell party together.....he's going to give them some sort of punishment that seems legit to the general public, but will in actuality be a joke when actually analyzed.  

That's cynical but may be right. It's hard to be too cynical when it comes to the NFL. But with NE's history of cheating and the outcry when the video of the Rams practice was destroyed, I don't think Goodell can afford to let them off easy. On the other hand Kraft came to Goodell's aid this season when he was under fire.

Actually:

Report: Ravens believe underinflated balls were used against Patriots

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/21/ravens-patriots-afc-divisional-underinflated-footballs

Actually:

Report: Ravens believe underinflated balls were used against Patriots

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/21/ravens-patriots-afc-divisional-underinflated-footballs

Ravens are a bunch of bitches.    Sorry,  they are.     They'll play the game that they were concerned but not file an official complaint.

It's just like Harballs getting salty over the Bengals pushing a QB past the line in a close yardage attempt referencing safety and other bullshit.   Then he does the same damn thing next week.

I hope the Patriots cheated their ass off against the Ravens and I hope they did the samething against the Stealers when they whooped that ass too in the playoffs.

Report: Colts told NFL of inflation concerns after November game vs. Pats

Posted by Mike Wilkening on January 21, 2015, 12:16 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjj

Getty Images

One of the key moments of “Inflationgate” came when Colts linebacker D’Qwell Jackson intercepted Patriots quarterback Tom Brady in the second quarter of Sunday’s AFC title game in Foxborough. Per multiple reports, the ball was deemed to feel a little light, and from there, the NFL got involved.

However, a published report Wednesday says the Colts’ suspicions about the inflation of New England’s footballs date back at least to the regular season matchup with New England on November 16.

And again, an interception — two of them, actually — was the catalyst.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Colts notified the NFL about potential under-inflation after safety Mike Adams picked off Brady twice in New England’s 42-20 victory.

In both cases, ESPN reported, Adams took the ball to the sideline as a memento, then gave it to the team’s equipment staff.

It was then, ESPN said, that the inflation of the footballs came into question.

As with the playoff matchup between the clubs, the Patriots were the far superior team in the November meeting. Moreover, the only three turnovers forced by the Colts in these two games came on the interceptions of footballs that purportedly did not feel right.

Nevertheless, we now have another data point regarding the Colts’ curiosity about the Patriots’ footballs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/report-colts-had-inflation-concerns-in-november-matchup-with-patriots/

Ravens are a bunch of bitches.    Sorry,  they are.     They'll play the game that they were concerned but not file an official complaint.

It's just like Harballs getting salty over the Bengals pushing a QB past the line in a close yardage attempt referencing safety and other bullshit.   Then he does the same damn thing next week.

I hope the Patriots cheated their ass off against the Ravens and I hope they did the samething against the Stealers when they whooped that ass too in the playoffs.

Agreed. I wouldn't care if a patriots defensive linemen inserted an over inflated ball into flaccos ass.

It's not about just this instance.

They've probably done this many times.

They got caught spying on other teams and the rumor is they spied on their super bowl opponent.

There are also a ton of instances of headsets starting to fail when playing at new England.

I read another article that suggested the pats found a way to keep the communication going to the QB even after the play clock hits 15 seconds which would be another big advantage.

When there is smoke there is fire. And there is a lot of smoke.

Archived