Jeff Gordon ending his career after the 2015 season

http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/news/article/2015/01/22/Jeff-Gordon-to-run-final-full-time-NASCAR-season-in-2015

CONCORD, N.C.– Jeff Gordon, the celebrated stock car champion whose crossover appeal helped take NASCAR into the mainstream, will compete in his 23rd and final full-time Sprint Cup Series season in 2015. He announced his decision this morning to the No. 24 Hendrick Motorsports team he has driven for since November 1992.

“As a race car driver, much of what I’ve done throughout my life has been based on following my instincts and trying to make good decisions,” Gordon said. “I thought long and hard about my future this past year and during the offseason, and I’ve decided 2015 will be the last time I compete for a championship. I won’t use the ‘R-word’ because I plan to stay extremely busy in the years ahead, and there’s always the possibility I’ll compete in selected events, although I currently have no plans to do that.

“I don’t foresee a day when I’ll ever step away from racing. I’m a fan of all forms of motor sports, but particularly NASCAR. We have a tremendous product, and I’m passionate about the business and its future success. As an equity owner in Hendrick Motorsports, I’m a partner with Rick (Hendrick) and will remain heavily involved with the company for many years to come. It means so much to have the chance to continue working with the owner who took a chance on me and the incredible team that’s stood behind me every step of the way.

I had the displeasure of knowing some nascar enthusiasts back when Jeff Gordon was relatively new on the scene. 

Why did (do?) people hate on him so much?  I didn't bother listening very closely way back when.

I am not sure...I didn't get into NASCAR till earlier this decade.  Things I have read is his racing style early on his career was too aggressive.  

• 3 months later...

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2563963?utm_content=buffer8401c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

It's not often that President Obama gets a shoutout from NASCAR Nation, but his attention to the racing sport, and especially retiring future Hall of Fame driver Jeff Gordon, are getting noticed by drivers.

Michael Waltrip, who drives #55, took time out of a lobbying trip to Washington for the Auto Care Association last week to heap praise on Obama for inviting Gordon and the #24 driver's family to the annual Easter Egg Roll and giving the four-time NASCAR champion a private tour.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/jeff-gordon-joins-fox-nascar-on-air-team-as-analyst-for-2016-season-052115?adbid=601494487802732545&adbpl=tw&adbpr=16877611&adbsc=social_20150521_46241676&short_code=31diu

As just announced on FOX Sports 1's NASCAR Race HubJeff Gordon -- the four-time NASCAR Cup Series champion credited with helping take the sport mainstream -- joins FOX NASCAR fulltime in 2016 as race analyst for its 16th year of NASCAR Sprint Cup Series coverage, teaming with three-time champion Darrell Waltrip to offer seven championships' worth of expertise.

Gordon, currently competing in his 23rd and final fulltime Sprint Cup Series season, served as race analyst for FOX Sports' coverage of three NASCAR XFINITY SERIES races this year (for video of Gordon calling the Talladega NASCAR XFINITY SERIES race, click here). He has agreed to a multi-year contract that begins this season with in-race reporting from the No. 24 Chevrolet during select Cup Series races, and segues to an analyst role that commences with Daytona Speedweeks in February 2016.

"NASCAR has provided me so many incredible memories, experiences and opportunities throughout my 23 years as a driver, and I can't wait to start a new chapter in racing with this new relationship with FOX and to be in the booth with Mike (Joy) and Darrell," said Gordon. "I feel so lucky to be a part of a sport that I'm very passionate about, and now I get the opportunity to share that passion to millions of race fans from a whole new perspective."

Archived