New candidate for 2016?

Go Skins

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/surprise-star-in-iowas-2016-sweepstakes/article/2559298?utm_content=bufferfd266&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

There's been a lot of buzz over Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker's well-received performance at the Freedom Summit of 2016 Republican presidential candidates in Des Moines over the weekend. Sen. Ted Cruz also scored big. And New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie won praise not only for showing up — some didn't expect he would attend such a conservative gathering — but for delivering a heartfelt talk that connected with much of the audience.

Each man improved his position in the GOP field, but the potential candidate with the most improved standing in Iowa — if only because she started from virtually nowhere — would have to be Carly Fiorina, the former Hewlett Packard CEO and failed California Senate candidate who's now considering the longest-of-longshot runs for the White House.

Even though Fiorina, on behalf of her political action committee, Unlocking Potential PAC, visited Iowa to support winning Senate candidate Joni Ernst last year, it's safe to say most people in the crowd Saturday had never heard her say a word. What they got was a perspective that stood apart, a candidate who used her business career to approach popular topics in new and appealing ways.

• 3 months later...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/04/politics/carly-fiorina-presidential-announcement/

Former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina announced her candidacy for president on Monday, becoming the first declared female candidate to seek the Republican Party's nomination.

"Yes, I am running," Fiorina said on ABC's "Good Morning America." "I think I'm the best person for the job because I understand how the economy actually works. I understand the world; who's in it."

The ex-Silicon Valley executive and long-shot White House contender has never held public office. In 2010, she unsuccessfully ran for Senate in California, losing to Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer.

She is now one of only a few women ever to seek the Republican Party's nomination for president -- among them, former Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, who was a candidate in 2012, and former North Carolina Sen. Elizabeth Dole, who made a brief run in the 2000 cycle.

Fiorina has been laying the groundwork for a possible presidential campaign over the past few months, traveling to early states like Iowa and New Hampshire and meeting with activists and donors.

Casting herself as an outside-the-beltway candidate with years of private sector experience, she has been particularly critical of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and her work in government.

On Monday, Fiorina said Clinton "clearly is not trustworthy."

Archived