Bengals and Eric Winston mutually interested in another season together

PHOENIX, Ariz.  _ Right tackle Eric Winston says there is mutual interest in him returning to the Bengals next season after both were impressed with each other in the final month of the season.

Winston, in town for Thursday’s NFL Players Association news conference, says he’s interested in returning as a swing man backing up Andre Smith at right tackle.

“It’s the circle of life in the NFL. You come in as a backup, you earn a starting spot, you go out as a backup a lot of times,” Winston said. “There’s interest on both sides. I don’t want to qualify their interest too much more than that. I think they’re definitely interested in it. I’m definitely interested in it and hopefully we’ll get something done.”

Winston, 31, signed with the Bengals Dec. 2 after Smith suffered a season-ending torn triceps. Although he sat out the regular season after getting cut by Seattle in the preseason, his 119 NFL starts served him well and he was able to start the last three games, including the Wild Card Game. With old friend left tackle Andrew Whitworth already here, Winston felt comfortable and he says after being away from the game he liked being back.

“Good guys. Good line. Whit’s a great guy. Obviously Andre’s a really good player and hopefully Clint (Boling) comes back,” Winston said. “It’s a team with a lot of talent.”

Winston says he doesn’t expect much to happen until next month’s NFL scouting combine and mid-March free agency hits  the radar.

I think he is fine as the guy to back up Andre, as long as Newhouse is somewhere bagging groceries. I dont know what possed them to get a backup Olinemen from the Packers, who have had their troubles protecting Rodgers over the last few years.

Had to reserve that cap room so we could make sure we could retain an 80 something rated QB season despite that player already being under contract.

Had to reserve that cap room so we could make sure we could retain an 80 something rated QB season despite that player already being under contract.

Might be a record.  6 posts before Andy was blamed for something. 

I think he is fine as the guy to back up Andre, as long as Newhouse is somewhere bagging groceries. I dont know what possed them to get a backup Olinemen from the Packers, who have had their troubles protecting Rodgers over the last few years.

They couldn't sign a FA that would qualify for the compensation pick system because he would cancel out Anthony Collins and take away a potential 4th round pick. One website that projects comp picks thinks there's a possibility than even Newhouse with his near min contract might still qualify. I think Newhouse was brought in so they wouldn't absolutely have to draft a tackle out of need.

Way to work your stock phrase into the discussion of a backup OT.  Really raising the bar there.

Bringing back Winston would give a little more flexibility in the draft. They could take a little more of a project OT in say the 3rd round instead of needing to draft an OT that would be able to step in instantly in case of injury. 

In fact, I think keeping Boling and Winston and drafting a young OT in the 2nd-4th round would be all we'd need to be set at OL next season.

They couldn't sign a FA that would qualify for the compensation pick system because he would cancel out Anthony Collins and take away a potential 4th round pick.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

The Bengals have been more conscious of comp picks than just about anybody else out there.

In the end, this one actually worked out for them. Newhouse, as bad as he was, he didn't cost them any games, and is going to have saved them at least a 5th round pick. If it winds up being a 4th, it's that much better.

I thought Newhouse was cut from GB, this not a comp pick factor?

He was a UFA?

He wasn't released, but his contract was so close to league minimum that he probably won't qualify to cancel out Anthony Collins contract.

That's one part of the comp pick predictions no one has mastered yet. Given the Bengals track record and awareness when it comes to those picks, I'll be shocked if they didn't ensure that he would be "unqualified".

If he cancels out Collins, it'll add another layer of bad to the signing.

Archived