George Iloka Turning into a Dominant Force

George Iloka was drafted in the fifth round of the 2012 NFL draft, as the Cincinnati Bengals selected him with the 167th overall pick. He turned out to be a steal for the Bengals as he has outperformed what is typical for a fifth round pick. Iloka has had two solid seasons in a row and is blossoming into a great safety for Cincinnati.

Iloka spent four years at Boise State for his college career. He put up the best stats of his college career during his freshman year. In his first year in college, the strong safety had 63 total tackles, a sack and four interceptions. Although his best year in college was his first, his numbers did not slip too much in the following three years.

In Iloka’s sophomore season, he put up 48 tackles and an interception. His numbers improved in 2010 in his junior season, when he had 63 tackles, a forced fumble and two interceptions. With only 58 tackles and a forced fumble, his numbers slightly fell in his senior season. Iloka’s solid, albeit not outstanding stats, made him worthy of a fifth round pick.

The Boise State product was the 11th safety taken in the 2012 draft. In his rookie season, he made essentially no contribution, as he played in seven games and only had two tackles all year sitting behind veteran Chris Crocker. Iloka would have some big shoes to fill if he expected to take over Crocker’s role, a player who finished with 554 tackles, seven forced fumbles and 15 interceptions in his 12-year career.

Iloka would get his chance to break onto the scene in his second season as Crocker retired. The fifth-round draft pick started all 16 games in 2013 and put up great numbers. He had 66 total tackles, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery in his second season in the league. He also played a big role in the passing game as he had an interception and six passes defended against.

This past season, Iloka inflated his numbers. He upped his total tackles to 74 during the season, while adding three interceptions and 10 passes defensed to his stat sheet. Iloka played in all 16 games in 2014 for the second straight season.

Iloka is the only player to start in the secondary for the Bengals that was not selected in the first round. Leon Hall, Reggie Nelson and Terrence Newman start alongside Iloka and they were all drafted in the first round of their respective drafts. There are also three other first-rounders that are on the roster, but do not start in the Bengals’ secondary.

Coming into the NFL, Iloka was not expected to make this big of an impact so early in his career. After an unconvincing rookie season, Iloka’s numbers have skyrocketed. With 140 tackles, two forced fumbles and four interceptions in his past two seasons, Iloka is a dominant force in the Bengals secondary. Cincinnati got a steal with the 167th pick in the 2012 draft, and Iloka will likely make even bigger contributions to the Bengals in years to come. 

I dont remember seeing that at all. But I thought Iloka improved greatly this year. 

I don't either. Plus manning was never really on the team. Signed then cut before ever playing for us

"Hopefully he starts over Illoka. Who I wasn't impressed with at all."

"Manning is a starter here.....he'll start opposite Reggie Nelson and the defensive backfield will be better off for it.  Iloka, while serviceable, made some bad reads and took some bad angles last year.....he was the player that should have had Ronnie Brown vs SD but he didn't do his job, let Brown through for the TD.  Iloka's not a bad player, but he's still learning and may require more time and mentorship.....that's where Manning comes in."

"I'm excited about starting safeties being Nelson and Manning.  Best tandem back there in MANY years.  Iloka will provide nice depth."

"I do agree that Iloka's progression from his rookie year to 2nd year was very nice, but he leaves much to be desired on the field still.   He needs to work on a few things a bit more I think before he can be relied on exclusively.   Iloka gave up and left many plays on the field last year.  Again, that's where Manning comes in.  If healthy, I dont think there's any way he doesn't start opposite Nelson come week 1."

"I still truly believe Shawn Williams will end up being the best pick of last years draft for the Bengals. I loved him in college and his preseason game against Tennessee was the most authoritative play from a safety I've seen on the Bengals in a long...long...long time."

"Shawn Williams will have Iloka's spot next year probably."

"Williams is a good safety in coverage. Iloka's weakest point is his coverage. He messes up his coverage more than anything."

Was that here? Yikes. Link to the thread?

"Manning is a starter here.....he'll start opposite Reggie Nelson and the defensive backfield will be better off for it.  Iloka, while serviceable, made some bad reads and took some bad angles last year.....he was the player that should have had Ronnie Brown vs SD but he didn't do his job, let Brown through for the TD.  Iloka's not a bad player, but he's still learning and may require more time and mentorship.....that's where Manning comes in."

"I'm excited about starting safeties being Nelson and Manning.  Best tandem back there in MANY years.  Iloka will provide nice depth."

"I do agree that Iloka's progression from his rookie year to 2nd year was very nice, but he leaves much to be desired on the field still.   He needs to work on a few things a bit more I think before he can be relied on exclusively.   Iloka gave up and left many plays on the field last year.  Again, that's where Manning comes in.  If healthy, I dont think there's any way he doesn't start opposite Nelson come week 1."

"I still truly believe Shawn Williams will end up being the best pick of last years draft for the Bengals. I loved him in college and his preseason game against Tennessee was the most authoritative play from a safety I've seen on the Bengals in a long...long...long time."

"Williams is a good safety in coverage. Iloka's weakest point is his coverage. He messes up his coverage more than anything."

Thanks. I didn't remember that

Archived