Bengals' Marvin Lewis: Sacks are overrated

Teams across the NFL will watch Sunday's Super Bowl between Seattle and New England searching for the common thread worth focusing on in order to reach the game's greatest stage.

The obvious elements like turnover margin and quality quarterback play will always dominate this game, but Marvin Lewis points to this Super Bowl as well as a host of recent others when confronted by a stat he doesn't believe lives in the championship elixir.

The Bengals' sack total dropped to just 20 this past season after the team compiled 51, 45 and 47 each of the past three years. Paul Guenther's defense ranked dead last in the league in sacks per pass play.

Lewis doesn't want to hear about lack of sacks holding his team back.

"The pass rush is overrated by what people are saying," Lewis said. "If you look at the number of pressures, completion percentage is down, interceptions are up. Those are things that are important. Sacks don't win games. You can have 50 sacks every year, it has never equated to championship teams. Not once."

Well, yes and no.

The 2007 Giants finished the year best in the league in sacks per pass play, then went on to hand Tom Brady and Bill Belichick their only loss of the season in Super Bowl XLII. But Lewis' point doesn't ring hollow, especially this year.

Seattle finished the season ranked 11th in sacks per pass play and New England 18th. The Seahawks actually gave up more sacks (40) then they made themselves (36) in becoming the league's top-ranked defense.

Even spanning beyond the teams playing this weekend, each of the top five teams in sack percentage this year missed out on the playoffs. Three of those five teams finished with losing records, including doormats Jacksonville (3-13) and the New York Jets (4-12).

(Click the link for the rest of the article)

I get what he is saying.    Agree.

The number of sacks is overrated by itself.       There are simply good defensive plays that can be made and it not register as a notetable stat like a sack.   

For example:  Defensive end gets a good rush to get the QB to throw the ball before the marker and a tackle is made.   Good play if it's 3rd down.    However,  that DE may not get a stat for it.   

A tackle for loss accomplishes the same thing as a sack.

Be nice to see these accounted for in a  defender's stats

along with sacks.

Since the NFL is focused on runing the game with so many penalties.    I wish they would start assigning holding penalties to defenders and PI penalties to WR so fans can at least get credit for their fantasty football teams.

I get what he is saying.    Agree.

The number of sacks is overrated by itself.       There are simply good defensive plays that can be made and it not register as a notetable stat like a sack.   

For example:  Defensive end gets a good rush to get the QB to throw the ball before the marker and a tackle is made.   Good play if it's 3rd down.    However,  that DE may not get a stat for it.   

Good points.  The reality is if you are getting sacks you are getting penetration.

Fact of the matter is we were last in sacks by an EXTRAORDINARY margin compared to the mean which was 39.  We had 20.  

Nobody here is about to pretend our defensive line rushed the QB with any efficiency this year.  Our secondary saved our asses.

Good points.  The reality is if you are getting sacks you are getting penetration.

Fact of the matter is we were last in sacks by an EXTRAORDINARY margin compared to the mean which was 39.  We had 20.  

Nobody here is about to pretend our defensive line rushed the QB with any efficiency this year.  Our secondary saved our asses.

I agree but Marvin is an asshole and at times talks basics as if the general football public hangs everything on just the number of sacks anyway. 

Similar to what you said if a defensive unit is recording 47 sacks in a season that means they've done a few positive things before that actual recording of the sack.    Made plays to get good rush opportunities. Stopped early runs.   Covered effectively.  Penetration.    It probably takes 4/5 good rushes to get 1 sack.

I was amused that this post...

"Having sex is a hedonistic act committed by charlatans with no self-worth. This act can lead to unplanned preganancy, STD's, and the destruction of one's soul."

-Marvin Lewis (The College Virgin).

...was followed by this post...

A tackle for loss accomplishes the same thing as a sack.

Be nice to see these accounted for in a  defender's stats

along with sacks.

Yeh but then Peko wouldn't be so terrible awful and I might be forced to actually think about why our defense went into the shitter instead of just pointing and hooting at the scapegoat-du-jour like a gibbon that's been feeding on fermented kiwis.

Baltimore nearly beat NE. Why, consistent pressure on the QB.

I agree in that the sack total isn't necessarly what is the most important thing. Consistent pressure on the QB causes turnovers and mistakes by the offense. It's really that simply. Many DB's can cover to a 2-3 count. Very few can cover to a 5-7 count.

Marvin again under estimating the fans knowledge and defending the poor performance of his team.

Lack of pressure on the QB was a problem in a few games (including against Indy). But overall the pass defense was one of the bright spots for this year's team, so I do agree with him that it's not quite as big of an issue as it is being made out to be.

I think the run defense was a bigger issue than pass D for most of the season. LBer play without Burfict (and especially while Maualuga was hurt) was probably the weakest part of the D. That would be my top priority to get fixed for the defense and I hope we go hard after the top LBers in free agency.

As for the pass rush, Atkins is the key. If he is back to full strength it makes it easier for everyone else. Not only does he get his 10 sacks, but he adds a few sacks for Dunlap, Gilberry and others because the QB can't just step up in the pocket when the DE beats the OT to the outside. We still need to draft a good pass rusher just to add to the rotation, but even that won't do much without Atkins.

Sure, Marvin. I could buy that.

But.

You can't say that and also dismiss the fact that not only did the d-line have a lack of sacks....they also had a lack of penetration consistently, lack of any sort of pressure on the QB, and an almost hilarious inability to contain the edge. Sacks may be overrated. That might be the truth overall. But our team is lacking in sacks, and when you look at the reasons why, it ties into the other shit as well. The players aren't performing. The coaches aren't performing.

Also, this only refers to sacks being overrated. He also said pass rush is overrated, which is just retarded considering the state of the NFL right now. I mean, seriously. The pass rush is overrated? Does anyone here seriously believe that? EVERYTHING starts up front. I'd rather have the best d-lineman in the league over the best CB in the league every time. Why? Because the best d-lineman is a lot lot lot closer to that QB and that football. In the state of the league, that QB is going to be handling that football a lot. How in the FUCK is an effective pass rush overrated?

I mean...I dunno. What the fuck am i missing here? T-Dub? Kenneth? Seriously. This sounds like a man who literally can say whatever the fuck he wants, and does, because fuck it.

Sure, Marvin. I could buy that.

But.

You can't say that and also dismiss the fact that not only did the d-line have a lack of sacks....they also had a lack of penetration consistently, lack of any sort of pressure on the QB, and an almost hilarious inability to contain the edge. Sacks may be overrated. That might be the truth overall. But our team is lacking in sacks, and when you look at the reasons why, it ties into the other shit as well. The players aren't performing. The coaches aren't performing.

Also, this only refers to sacks being overrated. He also said pass rush is overrated, which is just retarded considering the state of the NFL right now. I mean, seriously. The pass rush is overrated? Does anyone here seriously believe that? EVERYTHING starts up front. I'd rather have the best d-lineman in the league over the best CB in the league every time. Why? Because the best d-lineman is a lot lot lot closer to that QB and that football. In the state of the league, that QB is going to be handling that football a lot. How in the FUCK is an effective pass rush overrated?

I mean...I dunno. What the fuck am i missing here? T-Dub? Kenneth? Seriously. This sounds like a man who literally can say whatever the fuck he wants, and does, because fuck it.

Yyyyyyyyeeppppp (in that dude from Storage Wars voice)

Archived