** The NEXT 50 lbs.... ** anti-fatass part 2

GoBengals

• 2 weeks later...

*sigh*

Perhaps you are in need of a dietary "reset"?  I'll get in a rut sometimes with healthy foods and get a little burnt out and start craving garbage again.  If you're focusing mainly on fruits and vegetables, maybe go a few days with mostly raw cruciferous vegetables and juices?  I've had really good luck with Amy's Organic Low Sodium soups and chili the last few months.  They're not overly expensive and are filling.  Compliment  a can of that with a handful or two of healthy nuts for lunch and that does a surprising job of keeping you full.

Just a thought... 

I got a haircut... probably lost a pound...

baby steps..

been doing family walks at night, 2-3 miles, seem more helpful since there are hills and such, instead of the flat track.. 

and i can listen to the reds game streaming or watch it while i walk (slightly more dangerous watching it)

working 7 days next week (omg cant wait for that paycheck).. should be a bit easier to stay on the narrow food wise..

i have talked myself out of foods that are healthy enough, because they arent super healthy, this was a HUGE mistake on my part.

yoplait yogurt has some sugar in it.. and isnt that healthy so i stopped that, JIF peanut butter, but as healthy as fresh made good ole organic peanut butter, so i stopped, non organic fruits, i stopped...

i either didnt like the taste or couldnt stomach the healthier alternatives to these.. these made it easier to do.. and i lost a good amount of weight eating these things..

so i am going back to them.. i need to get my body to the 250-275 range, ...

i have talked myself out of foods that are healthy enough, because they arent super healthy, this was a HUGE mistake on my part.

yoplait yogurt has some sugar in it.. and isnt that healthy so i stopped that, JIF peanut butter, but as healthy as fresh made good ole organic peanut butter, so i stopped, non organic fruits, i stopped...

i either didnt like the taste or couldnt stomach the healthier alternatives to these.. these made it easier to do.. and i lost a good amount of weight eating these things..

so i am going back to them.. i need to get my body to the 250-275 range, ...

i always think of weight loss/body composition through the lens of the Pareto principle, or the 80/20 rule.

The gist of it is that 80% of the results come from 20% of the effort.

The application here is that you can go crazy optimizing your nutrient intake, but the results wont be game changing, and certainly not proportional to the effort put it. Don't dismiss those "less then super healthy" food and focus on longevity and sustainability. 

That's a great price....I pay $4/dozen currently and would never ever go back to store bought eggs.  Ever.  Krogers was sued for selling conventional eggs as "cage free".  Their rationale was that they were in a building, still overcrowded, still sick, still given growth hormone......but since they weren't in a cage, they figured they could label them as 'cage free'.  I have zero trust in grocery store labeling.   

So, where can I drive down the street and find vendors on the side selling eggs for $3?  If the drive doesn't offset the savings, I'll stick to my person but would be good to know in case I have clients that live in those areas.  Thanks in advance.     

Pretty sure Kroger would have won that law suit.. As far as I know in the US cage-free really just means "Low or Medium Density", which means they are not in cages, but are kept in a warehouse, in conditions most people would consider overcrowded and disgusting without access to the outdoors. "Free Range" means Low Density with free access to the outside for at least "some part of the day". In practical terms Krogers can simply build an area enclosed by a fence attached to the warehouse and open a door to allow them to wander around for a bit before herding them back in doors.

With their lobbying groups, you can be sure that any label which denotes quality (and thus cost) will be watered down so it no longer means what people expect it to mean so that corporations can sell you "premium" products without paying a "premium" cost to produce them.

Don't trust these scum bags, the only way to be sure is to look into how they are produced yourself. And of course, buying directly from the farmer is the best way to ensure quality.

Khat, what's your thoughts on net carbs?  Marketing ploy?  

Not sure bro....the science behind the whole net carbs thing is technically sound but I'm not really in a position to say one way or the other as far as marketing ploy.  I guess it depends on what exactly is being marketed.  You body build? 

Don't trust these scum bags, the only way to be sure is to look into how they are produced yourself. And of course, buying directly from the farmer is the best way to ensure quality.

Yeah man. unfortunately these are the times we live in.  I even ask the farmer that I get eggs from what the hens diet is, how much activity/exercise they typically get during the day etc...  

Believe it or not, there is an honest to god farm down the road from where I live, and they raise chickens and sell the eggs on the weekend.  And I know they're telling the truth because you practically trip over the chickens and roosters on your way to the refrigerators to buy your eggs.  At least we have that here, 'cause the fresh vegetable availability is spotty at best. And by "fresh" I mean non-factory farmed... 

Not sure bro....the science behind the whole net carbs thing is technically sound but I'm not really in a position to say one way or the other as far as marketing ploy.  I guess it depends on what exactly is being marketed.  You body build? 

I don't want to say I bodybuild, because I don't take it that seriously but I do workout 90-180 minutes a day and have been really trying to lean out. I am a carb monster. I never realized how many carbs I consumed a day until I got MFP. In order to lean out a little bit to get rid of some of this winter coat I put on, I've been looking to cut down on carbs and more importantly simple carbs. I've been seeing net carbs employed on a lot of labels and looked into it but wasn't really sure if it was bullshit or not.

Believe it or not, there is an honest to god farm down the road from where I live, and they raise chickens and sell the eggs on the weekend.  And I know they're telling the truth because you practically trip over the chickens and roosters on your way to the refrigerators to buy your eggs.  At least we have that here, 'cause the fresh vegetable availability is spotty at best. And by "fresh" I mean non-factory farmed... 

Do the 'seasons' make much of a difference in regards to veggie availability?  I realize that Vegas' seasons aren't typical when you think of seasons.  That's another good thing with the warmer weather here in Cincy....the fresh, local organic veggie markets will be popping up in many neighborhoods.  I'm like a kid in a candy store at those farmers markets.  

That's awesome about the eggs though.  Glad you have such an option.  How much is a carton of eggs from that place if you don't mind me asking?  

I don't want to say I bodybuild, because I don't take it that seriously but I do workout 90-180 minutes a day and have been really trying to lean out. I am a carb monster. I never realized how many carbs I consumed a day until I got MFP. In order to lean out a little bit to get rid of some of this winter coat I put on, I've been looking to cut down on carbs and more importantly simple carbs. I've been seeing net carbs employed on a lot of labels and looked into it but wasn't really sure if it was bullshit or not.

Do you even lift bro?  

I would suggest healthy fats if you want to lean out.  Especially coconut oil.  But avocado, almonds, extra virgin olive oil, flax, chia, coconut oil, walnuts, wild caught fish, fatty meat from free range animals who eat a healthy diet, good quality eggs.......so may options for good fats.  And working out as often as you do.....you want to keep your joints lubricated, which is another benefit of good fats.  

And if you do cardio, don't do the 'run for 30 mins at jogging pace'.  Do intervals......short bursts...sprint for 30 secs then jog for 1:30, then back to full, all out sprint for 30 secs, jog for 1;30....repeat this 5-7 times and it's shown to be at least 40% more efficient in burning fat than jogging alone.  Not to mention.....look at long distance runners bodies and compare them to a sprinter's build.  Long distance runners look malnourished, look weak but sprinters look strong as shit, and have a very desirable build, forming a V from the shoulders to torso.  There is wisdom in this.   

There is a hog farm outside of Vegas that was featured on Dirty Jobs. 

There's a hog farm east of Cincy......it's called Pittsburgh.  

I feel pretty good after reading that. As of right now at 178 my macro split is 25%c/45%p/30%f. I've had a ton of trouble hitting my fat macros but I just recently picked up coconut oil at the store this past week as I heard it was a better option than olive oil (?). Just put walnuts on my shopping list on Wednesday too after reading about their low carb high protein and fat content. I tried to go to fish route to switch up from chicken, but I just hate the texture. I do take my fish oils every day though. Will be adding avocados this week but I love guac. Am I good sticking with guac or should I just go raw avocado? I'll look into chia. Haven't been able to find a good farmers market around here outside of traders joe in Kettering, but they should be starting up with the weather getting better.

Peanut butter is that a good fat or bad fat? I've read both. I was eating a scoop of it when I was putting on weight, but the high calorie content has taken me away from it. I still have calories to give every day though.

I have been doing a lot of hiit lately. Usually I sprint full boar on the elliptical for a minute and go at a moderate rate for a minute and repeat for however long. Aim for 20 minutes but I try to push it out to thirty. My knees ache after the treadmill so I try to keep it on the elliptical. I usually do my entire workout with minimal time between sets as wel. I throw in some steady state cardio every once in awhile too just to get some good sun.

There is a hog farm outside of Vegas that was featured on Dirty Jobs. 

Yeah, and during the boom, they built a ton of houses just south of it.  People were on the news complaining that their neighborhood smelled like hog shit.  That's what you get for not vetting an area before you buy.  The news channels called the segment "Bacon's Revenge"... 

Do the 'seasons' make much of a difference in regards to veggie availability?  I realize that Vegas' seasons aren't typical when you think of seasons.  That's another good thing with the warmer weather here in Cincy....the fresh, local organic veggie markets will be popping up in many neighborhoods.  I'm like a kid in a candy store at those farmers markets.  

That's awesome about the eggs though.  Glad you have such an option.  How much is a carton of eggs from that place if you don't mind me asking?  

Availability is year-round due to our proximity to Death Valley and California in general. The quality of the produce varies widely throughout the year though.  And a dozen eggs runs about $6, and it's worth every penny to me...

There's a hog farm east of Cincy......it's called Pittsburgh.  

:24:

I feel pretty good after reading that. As of right now at 178 my macro split is 25%c/45%p/30%f. I've had a ton of trouble hitting my fat macros but I just recently picked up coconut oil at the store this past week as I heard it was a better option than olive oil (?). Just put walnuts on my shopping list on Wednesday too after reading about their low carb high protein and fat content. I tried to go to fish route to switch up from chicken, but I just hate the texture. I do take my fish oils every day though. Will be adding avocados this week but I love guac. Am I good sticking with guac or should I just go raw avocado? I'll look into chia. Haven't been able to find a good farmers market around here outside of traders joe in Kettering, but they should be starting up with the weather getting better.

Peanut butter is that a good fat or bad fat? I've read both. I was eating a scoop of it when I was putting on weight, but the high calorie content has taken me away from it. I still have calories to give every day though.

I have been doing a lot of hiit lately. Usually I sprint full boar on the elliptical for a minute and go at a moderate rate for a minute and repeat for however long. Aim for 20 minutes but I try to push it out to thirty. My knees ache after the treadmill so I try to keep it on the elliptical. I usually do my entire workout with minimal time between sets as wel. I throw in some steady state cardio every once in awhile too just to get some good sun.

Coconut oil and olive oil are both very beneficial, assuming they're both extra virgin and preferably organic but extra virgin is the key.  Least amount of 'processing'.  It's taken from the first cold press so it retains its nutrients and benefits.  Coconut oil has a high heat threshold and is best for cooking (and eating raw) whereas olive oil's structure breaks down at certain temps, which are easily reached during cooking.  Personally, I cook in coconut oil and use olive oil as a dressing on salads after combining it with fresh lemon juice and a tiny amount of paprika....but generally use it raw.  And as with anything, consider the SOURCE.  That's the best advice to give anyone.....scrutinize the source of the foods you're eating and you'll be a whole lot better off.  Same for your fish oil, make sure there are no contaminants such as PCB and mercury.  Here is a list of items that were recently named in a lawsuit due to their extremely high PCB content.  Is one of yours the following brands?  If so, call the company and get your money back, then proceed to flush those down the toilet.  List:

1. GNC Liquid Norwegian Cod Liver Oil
  2. Nature Made Cod Liver Oil
  3. Nature Made Odorless Fish Oil
  4. Now Foods Double Strength Cod Liver Oil
  5. Now Foods Salmon Oil
  6. Now Foods Shark Liver Oil
  7. Solgar 100% Pure Norwegian Shark Liver Oil Complex
  8. Solgar Norwegian Cod Liver Oil
  9. Twinlab Emulsified Norwegian Cod Liver Oil
  10. Twinlab Norwegian Cod Liver Oil

Guac instead of avocado isn't the most wise thing as there is SO much sodium in guac....especially the one from Chipotle.  If you make your own and use pink himalayan salt or limit the salt content, then guac is also very health forming.  I'm not very good at making guac so what I've done in the past use buy Chipotle guac, buy an avocado and mash up half the avocado into half of the serving of guac and eat it that way.  Good for 2 servings and reduces the sodium by half.  I don't eat white table salt ever so even the whole serving of Chipotle guac isn't horrible in my situation.  Yours obviously may be different.  

In my opinion peanut butter is health forming and shouldn't be avoided, unless it's the calories you're worried about.  But I'm also of the opinion that you can eat however much of health forming foods and they won't effect you adversely.  Your body will use what it needs and rid itself of the rest, while potentially storing a very small amount.  But again, consider the source of the peanuts.  Many peanuts have an extremely high mold count and could cause allergens and inflammation.  I personally get fresh ground peanut butter from Whole Foods, using organic peanuts and sometimes I splurge and get the freshly ground almond butter, but that shit's expensive.   After a workout, I'll use about 20g of protein powder (plant based protein) mixed with a banana and a large tablespoon of that peanut butter.  Fantastic tasting and provides about 25g protein.  

HIIT is where it's at.  I love intervals and I feel better after doing those as opposed to running a 5k.  Those knees need good fats brosef.   Handle it!  

Archived