** The NEXT 50 lbs.... ** anti-fatass part 2

GoBengals

Availability is year-round due to our proximity to Death Valley and California in general. The quality of the produce varies widely throughout the year though.  And a dozen eggs runs about $6, and it's worth every penny to me...

:24:

I see.  Hopefully you're coming around to good quality produce season.  

I was just curious about the cost of eggs.  I'm putting together a database of general pricing for some items and your info is helpful, appreciate it.  Can't believe how much price varies on certain items depending on where in the US you live.  I"m glad you feel it's worth every penny....eggs can be extremely health forming when from healthy, active birds.  

Coconut oil and olive oil are both very beneficial, assuming they're both extra virgin and preferably organic but extra virgin is the key.  Least amount of 'processing'.  It's taken from the first cold press so it retains its nutrients and benefits.  Coconut oil has a high heat threshold and is best for cooking (and eating raw) whereas olive oil's structure breaks down at certain temps, which are easily reached during cooking.  Personally, I cook in coconut oil and use olive oil as a dressing on salads after combining it with fresh lemon juice and a tiny amount of paprika....but generally use it raw.  And as with anything, consider the SOURCE.  That's the best advice to give anyone.....scrutinize the source of the foods you're eating and you'll be a whole lot better off.  Same for your fish oil, make sure there are no contaminants such as PCB and mercury.  Here is a list of items that were recently named in a lawsuit due to their extremely high PCB content.  Is one of yours the following brands?  If so, call the company and get your money back, then proceed to flush those down the toilet.  List:

1. GNC Liquid Norwegian Cod Liver Oil
  2. Nature Made Cod Liver Oil
  3. Nature Made Odorless Fish Oil
  4. Now Foods Double Strength Cod Liver Oil
  5. Now Foods Salmon Oil
  6. Now Foods Shark Liver Oil
  7. Solgar 100% Pure Norwegian Shark Liver Oil Complex
  8. Solgar Norwegian Cod Liver Oil
  9. Twinlab Emulsified Norwegian Cod Liver Oil
  10. Twinlab Norwegian Cod Liver Oil

Guac instead of avocado isn't the most wise thing as there is SO much sodium in guac....especially the one from Chipotle.  If you make your own and use pink himalayan salt or limit the salt content, then guac is also very health forming.  I'm not very good at making guac so what I've done in the past use buy Chipotle guac, buy an avocado and mash up half the avocado into half of the serving of guac and eat it that way.  Good for 2 servings and reduces the sodium by half.  I don't eat white table salt ever so even the whole serving of Chipotle guac isn't horrible in my situation.  Yours obviously may be different.  

In my opinion peanut butter is health forming and shouldn't be avoided, unless it's the calories you're worried about.  But I'm also of the opinion that you can eat however much of health forming foods and they won't effect you adversely.  Your body will use what it needs and rid itself of the rest, while potentially storing a very small amount.  But again, consider the source of the peanuts.  Many peanuts have an extremely high mold count and could cause allergens and inflammation.  I personally get fresh ground peanut butter from Whole Foods, using organic peanuts and sometimes I splurge and get the freshly ground almond butter, but that shit's expensive.   After a workout, I'll use about 20g of protein powder (plant based protein) mixed with a banana and a large tablespoon of that peanut butter.  Fantastic tasting and provides about 25g protein.  

HIIT is where it's at.  I love intervals and I feel better after doing those as opposed to running a 5k.  Those knees need good fats brosef.   Handle it!  

I <3 and your knowledge.  And my fish oil is Optimum Nutrition FWIW.

I <3 and your knowledge.  And my fish oil is Optimum Nutrition FWIW.

Nice.  Just an FYI....this fish oil is fantastic, as far as mg of EPA and DHA.....for anyone looking for high quality fish oil:

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Naturals-Ultimate-Omega-softgels/dp/B002CQU564/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1429910471&sr=1-1&keywords=nordic+naturals+ultimate+omega

I have been doing a lot of hiit lately. Usually I sprint full boar on the elliptical for a minute and go at a moderate rate for a minute and repeat for however long. Aim for 20 minutes but I try to push it out to thirty. My knees ache after the treadmill so I try to keep it on the elliptical. I usually do my entire workout with minimal time between sets as wel. I throw in some steady state cardio every once in awhile too just to get some good sun.

When I was doing HIIT I also did it on the bike. I did mine a little differently though. I did a 20 minute cycle raising my level up each minute hitting a peak at the 5 minute mark. I'd drop down to starting pace and do it again. Total of 4 cycles of that. It was a bitch at first but once I got used to it it wasn't so bad. I've heard that if you do HIIT correctly you'll be ready to puke by the end. I've never hit that peak.

MULLY

When I was doing HIIT I also did it on the bike. I did mine a little differently though. I did a 20 minute cycle raising my level up each minute hitting a peak at the 5 minute mark. I'd drop down to starting pace and do it again. Total of 4 cycles of that. It was a bitch at first but once I got used to it it wasn't so bad. I've heard that if you do HIIT correctly you'll be ready to puke by the end. I've never hit that peak.

MULLY

I tried hit on the bike a little differently.  I tried going as fast as I could for thirty second and thirty seconds of regular cycling on again then off again.  I didn't last long.  That burns like a mother.  I may give this a try and it may prevent me from burning myself out.  Appreciate it!

Go, do you use MyFitnessPal?  I just started using it a few weeks ago.  At first I thought it was stupid, but its nice to have a baseline like that to have a rough estimate of what you are eating.  Also gives you macro's for what you should eat and how many calories for however much weight you want to lose in 5 weeks and basis its estimate off your activity level.  Tracks your steps, etc.  You could probably link it up with an AppleWatch and count calories based off heart rate as well.

Really easy to plug foods in there off of barcodes as well.  Kind of hard to get an estimate of what your getting when you eat out, I usually eat in Sunday-Thursday though so its ideal for me.

I would encourage everyone to give MFP a try.  I truly had no idea how many carbs I was eating every day (bad ones at that I just kind of learned) and wondered why spending so many hours a week wasn't making me look like a greek god.  Ton of sugar as well.  Getting back on the right path starting tomorrow.  Probably have to enjoy chipotle tonight.  Debating eating it in a healthy manner though.

Sugar, when not consumed naturally via fruits, is positively insidious. It causes inflammation and serves no purpose in a healthy diet. Once Khat taught me how to avoid inflammatory foods and sugars my overall health level improved tremendously.

ETA: Processed and refined sugars

Sugar, when not consumed naturally via fruits, is positively insidious. It causes inflammation and serves no purpose in a healthy diet. Once Khat taught me how to avoid inflammatory foods and sugars my overall health level improved tremendously.

ETA: Processed and refined sugars

I read up on bananas and how they turn into pure sugar basically as they age.  Good or bad?

I know I was eating fiber one cereal for awhile thinking that i was doing good. lolnope.  20 some grams of sugar.

I read up on bananas and how they turn into pure sugar basically as they age.  Good or bad?

I know I was eating fiber one cereal for awhile thinking that i was doing good. lolnope.  20 some grams of sugar.

I'll defer to Khat on that question, but I've lost count of the number of times I've been eating something I thought was "healthy" only to find out I would have been better off eating bacon dipped in chocolate, lol...

Banana sugars do become more concentrated as they age but it's really neither good nor bad.  It just means you're getting a little more fruit sugar from ripened bananas but it won't spike your insulin levels if you're eating only one banana per day, no matter how ripe.   And as counter-intuitive as it sounds, the increase in sugars does not equal increase in calories in bananas.  

Cereal is one of the worst foods you can eat these days, no matter what kind it is for the most part.  All sorts of GMO ingredients not to mention cereals are unhealthy in the first place.  I'm glad you're discovering things aren't as they seem.  

I'll defer to Khat on that question, but I've lost count of the number of times I've been eating something I thought was "healthy" only to find out I would have been better off eating bacon dipped in chocolate, lol...

Haha....can't tell you how many people I've heard that from.   The next logical step is, IMO anyways, to ask why are we being told these foods are healthy when they're really not?  F the FDA, USDA and other alphabet agencyies that purport to have the best interest of people in mind, when in actuality we know they're bought up by corporations and push the agenda of the corporation.....profit at any cost.    

I actually found a lot of good grass fed/free range/etc. stuff at Kroger last night.  Looks like I'm going to start shopping there a lot more.  Found some lean ground turkey at 99% over there but purchased some 90/10 at Walmart Friday.

Bison and tuna with some siracha for lunch this week.  Not sure how this is going to go.

Khat, recently read that saturated fats are unhealthy fats. This seems to counter that coconut oil is good for you? Noticed in MFP that that goal is to have 0 unsaturated fats but I have an alloted amount of saturated fats.

Whatever source you read that saturated fats are unhealthy, start questioning it.    

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/dr-mike-hart/saturated-fats_b_3641895.html

Dr Mike Hart Email

Family Physician, Bio-identical hormone therapy, Regenesys Anti-Aging and MediSPA

•  
  •  
The Other Side of Saturated Fats: Health Benefits of a Fat Rich Diet
Posted:  07/30/2013 3:51 pm EDT Updated:  09/29/2013 5:12 am EDT

•  
  •  

Saturated fats have been demonized for decades as "unhealthy" and a major contributor to heart disease. While some saturated fatty acids may have an overall negative effect on our health, it is important to understand that not all saturated fatty acids are created equal, and the inclusion of certain saturated fatty acids in your diet may actually be very beneficial for your health.

Saturated fats and the lipid hypothesis

In the early 1980s, the lipid hypothesis came to the forefront of public medicine.Based on research done by Ancel Keys, saturated fat and cholesterol were implicated as the leading cause of cardiovascular disease (CVD) . In 1992, the US government implemented changes to the food pyramid in an attempt to drastically curb the saturated fat intake of its citizens . Was this, in fact, a positive change? Subsequent investigations have shown that the researched conclusion may not be as accurate as assumed, stemming from the fact that all saturated fats are not created equal. I will attempt to break down saturated acids categorically, and based upon my recommendations in the summary, you can decide for yourself whether some saturated fatty acids may be lacking in your own diet and how they could possibly positively affect your health.

Classification of saturated fats

Saturated fats can be broken down into three categories: short, medium, and long chain fatty acids. The names refer to the length of the tail of the particular molecule.

Short chain fatty acids

The most common short chain fatty acids are butyric and caproic acids, which are found in grass-fed dairy products.

Short chain fatty acids aid in "gut health" by providing energy for colonic epithelial cells and promoting the growth of healthy colonic epithelium. An unhealthy digestive tract has been linked to depressionanxiety , and alowered immune system response. Short chain fatty acids have also shown to have anti-inflammatory properties in patients with ulcerative colitis and inhibit the growth of colon cancer cells.

Medium chain fatty acids

There are three medium chain fatty acids: caprylic, capric and lauric acids which can be found in coconut oil and palm oil. When olive oil was replaced with MCT oil, subjects who consumed MCT oil lost more weight. MCT oil, which is known to induce a ketogenic state, has been studied as a treatment for Alzheimer's disease with promising results.

On a personal note, I add grass-fed butter and MCT oil to my morning coffee (as per the " bulletproof coffee" protocol) and have found it to be highly effective for increasing my overall productivity and cognition.

Long chain fatty acids

Certain long chain fatty acids can contribute to cardiovascular disease, while others have been shown to be neutral or benign. Unfortunately, many people are apt to consume too many of the unhealthy long chain saturated fatty acids on a daily basis. The long chain fatty acids are myristic acid, palmitic acid, and stearic acid.

Myristic acid and palmitic acid were compared in a study and shown to increase LDL cholesterol levels in test subjects . When LDL becomes oxidized it contributes to cardiovascular disease and metabolic syndrome. Myristic acid was found to have a more profound effect on cholesterol levels than palmitic acid. An interesting fact to keep in mind is that myristic acid is seldom naturally occurring, but is more commonly and abundantly found in processed foods.

As previously mentioned, palmitic acid in isolation, does raise LDL levels. However, it is to a lesser extent than myristic acid. Linoleic acid (unsaturated fatty acid) has been implicated in lowering LDL levels and is commonly found in the same foods that contain palmitic acid; palm and coconut oils being two examples . This signifies that the detrimental health effects of palmitic acid may be exaggerated, but significant in terms of overall diet.

Stearic acid was consequently determined to be detrimental to one's health. However, a subsequent study revealed that when studied in isolation, stearic acid actually contributed to a decrease in LDL levels leading to an improved overallcholesterol ratio.

The sources of long chain fatty acids that should be avoided come fromprocessed foods and factory farmed meats, both of which are a major part of the North American diet.

But I thought all saturated fats caused heart disease

There is scientific evidence indicating that the consumption of saturated fats does not cause cardiovascular disease and that it has therefore been unfairly demonized . A scientific review was conducted to identify the effect of saturated fats on cardiovascular health. Four studies spanning across 35 countries assessed national fat consumption and mortality from coronary heart disease. In the majority of these studies, no positive correlation between saturated fat consumption and higher risk of atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease was found . Furthermore, a meta-analysis of prospective epidemiological studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of coronary heart disease . The unfortunate truth for people who eliminated fat from their diet because of worries about heart disease is that low-fat diets have been shown to make no difference on CVD outcomes in multiple studies.

Summary

I hope it is now evident that not all saturated fatty acids are created equal and that while some contribute to heart disease; others can be very beneficial with specific benefits. You should avoid saturated fats that are processed or otherwise not readily available in a natural form, including pressed seed oils (i.e., canola and soybean oil), bleached or hydrogenated fats (like margarine) and any fats that come from a "non-living" source (i.e., manufactured fats such as trans-fats). The best sources of saturated fats are coconut oil, avocado, grass-fed beef, pastured butter, tallow, ghee, and free-range eggs. These foods contain fats that are beneficial to our health as well as containing the various fats in ratios that are conducive to achieving optimal health. My hope is that you use the information presented in this article to make better decisions about which saturated fats should be included and excluded from your diet.

In the end of this article I would like to state that the article was taken from several different sources of media, including the following books:

1. Wong, Julia M.; de Souza, Russell; Kendall, Cyril W.; Emam, Azadeh; Jenkins, David J. (2006). "Colonic Health: Fermentation and Short Chain Fatty Acids". Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology 40 (3): 235-243.

2. Vanhoutvin, SA; Troost, FJ; Hamer, HM; Lindsey, PJ; Koek, GH; Jonkers, DM; Kodde, A; Venema, K et al. (2009). "Butyrate-Induced Transcriptional Changes in Human Colonic Mucosa". In Bereswill, Stefan. PLoS ONE 4 (8): e6759.

3. Flight V. Evidence does not support saturated fats being harmful for cardiovascular health. J Prim Health Care. 2012 Jun 1;4(2):174.

4. Petousis-Harris H. J Prim Health Care. 2011 Dec 1; 3(4):317-9. Epub 2011 Dec 1.

5. Ravnskov U. The questionable role of saturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids in cardiovascular disease. J Clin Epidemiol. 1998 Jun;51(6):443-60.

6. Patty W Siri-Tarino, Qi Sun, Frank B Hu, and Ronald M Krauss. Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 March; 91(3): 535-546.

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I admit I didn't do a ton of research but it just seemed to contradict everything I had heard about coco oil. So I'm assuming I just want to stay away from trans fat and some saturated? Unsaturated is alright?

Didn't mean to turn this into general health info thread I just rarely check pm since I'm on my phone.

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I admit I didn't do a ton of research but it just seemed to contradict everything I had heard about coco oil. So I'm assuming I just want to stay away from trans fat and some saturated? Unsaturated is alright?

Didn't mean to turn this into general health info thread I just rarely check pm since I'm on my phone.

Brother, you're trying to get a simple answer for a complex question.  It's very unwise to say stay away from all <insert whatever> and that all <insert whatever> is good for you.  Doesn't work that way in this game.  Have to judge on individual basis, then you get down to the sub groups within saturated and unsaturated fats.  My advice would be to consume whatever amount of healthy fats like extra virgin olive, coconut oils, avocado, seeds, nuts, good quality fish, fish oil, hemp and on and on.   

I stopped listening to official recommendations as to what we should and shouldn't eat a long time ago and have been much better off for it.  The food pyramid bullshit is completely wrong, it's a wonder why people are still fed the bullshit.  Maybe it's because they continue to ask it.....kinda like watching the news.  

Brother, you're trying to get a simple answer for a complex question.  It's very unwise to say stay away from all <insert whatever> and that all <insert whatever> is good for you.  Doesn't work that way in this game.  Have to judge on individual basis, then you get down to the sub groups within saturated and unsaturated fats.  My advice would be to consume whatever amount of healthy fats like extra virgin olive, coconut oils, avocado, seeds, nuts, good quality fish, fish oil, hemp and on and on.   

I stopped listening to official recommendations as to what we should and shouldn't eat a long time ago and have been much better off for it.  The food pyramid bullshit is completely wrong, it's a wonder why people are still fed the bullshit.  Maybe it's because they continue to ask it.....kinda like watching the news.  

I guess I keep seeing online there are healthy fats and unhealthy fats and I'm grouping them in saturated/unsaturated/trans instead of the source.  

Another question.  If I've hit my protein goal and I still have calories to achieve, would it be better to hit my fat goal or carb goal?  I'm assuming fat but just curious if you knew off the top of your head.

ETA: I've read that it would be better to hit the fat goal, but I luv carbs so I'm hoping it doesn't matter.

Yes, don't follow saturated or unsaturated.....there are healthy and unhealthy options of both sides.  

Fats for sure, as to how to meet your calorie quota.  Healthy fats will also help you recoup faster after a workout, working synergistically with the protein as protein provides what muscle needs to rebuild.  Fats will make the soreness after a great workout less debilitating as well.  They effect the lactic acid buildup in muscles.  

I assure you, after a month or so of consistently eating good fats, and staying away from inflammatory foods, your energy levels will be higher and your recovery will be shorter.  

Maybe a new thread is warranted.  I don't like all this noise in Ryan's thread.  Apologies Mr Go-Bengals.  

Archived