** The NEXT 50 lbs.... ** anti-fatass part 2

GoBengals

Somewhat OT but..  IDK where you live, but here in Ohio I've found it really easy to grow kale.  Even in a midsized pot or container it does pretty well on account of the relatively small/shallow root ball & frost resistance = long growing season.  Like most leafy veg it needs a lot of water & I have to hit it with Neem oil and/or diatomaceous earth to keep the bugs off but that's about it.

Love the diatomaceous earth. Have no bug problem at all in or near my chicken coop. I'm not worried about chickens ingesting the earth either. They love taking a dirt bath. Oddly enough, I've also heard of humans eating that stuff.

I've never had Kale.  Is it a lettuce substitute?  Sorry too lazy to look it up ATM.

I guess it could be, but it's a little tough - closer to chard or collards.  I've only eaten it cooked one way or another but I know some people (think Khat is one?) like to juice it for smoothies.

I've never had Kale.  Is it a lettuce substitute?  Sorry too lazy to look it up ATM.

It is a lot more firm than lettuce, and a bit bitter, but it has a lot of benefits. I called it a substitute only because I use it like that. Plus because it is that firm, it does not seem to wilt as much when it sits around with dressing on it. Nice when you pack meals.

Love the diatomaceous earth. Have no bug problem at all in or near my chicken coop. I'm not worried about chickens ingesting the earth either. They love taking a dirt bath. Oddly enough, I've also heard of humans eating that stuff.

Diatomaceous earth is awesome and ingesting it orally is no big deal at all, and if it's food grade D.E. it's actually beneficial, some believe.   Anti-parasitic properties as well as other benefits.  I know some who use it for their cleanses as it apparently helps to detoxify and move things along in the intestines at the same time.  They swear by it.   I use it in my house, along the walls of each room.   Only issue with it is inhaling it as it is an irritant on the lungs, which makes total sense when you consider it's structure/shape on a microscopic level.  

I guess it could be, but it's a little tough - closer to chard or collards.  I've only eaten it cooked one way or another but I know some people (think Khat is one?) like to juice it for smoothies.

Yeah, I blend kale as a part of my morning smoothies along with a banana, cucumber, parsley, hemp seeds, and a few other things.  Amazing way to start your day.  That shit will have you regular as a mudasooka as well.  

Yeah, I blend kale as a part of my morning smoothies along with a banana, cucumber, parsley, hemp seeds, and a few other things.  Amazing way to start your day.  That shit will have you regular as a mudasooka as well.  

What other things? That all sounds ok, but why the parsley? & what about frozen berries?

Incidentally, 'bout to mix up a chimichurri-style sauce with a bunch of homegrown cilantro instead of the parsley.

What other things? That all sounds ok, but why the parsley? & what about frozen berries?

Incidentally, 'bout to mix up a chimichurri-style sauce with a bunch of homegrown cilantro instead of the parsley.

Parsley.....first of all, I love the taste of it and it makes the bitterness caused by the kale more bearable.  It's also a 'chemoprotective' food due to its volatile oil content, meaning that it neutralizes certain carcinogens such as benzopyrenes which are found in cigarette smoke, grill smoke....smoke in general and as I expose myself to certain kinds of smoke :whistle: I use parsley.  

Frozen berries would be fine, I would recommend organic as berries are amongst the most sprayed fruits, it's just that I try to limit the sugar content in the green smoothie as a banana is high sugar already.  So the full list of ingredients I use is: banana, kiwi (sometimes), cucumber, parsley, kale, hemp seed, lemon, coconut water as base, Greens First brand green powder scoop for added taste, enzymes, pre/probiotics and pH alkalizer.   I add a drop or 2 of 4000 IU Carlson's Vit D3 as well every other day.  

Archived