SNL 40 year anniversary

Go Skins

I thought it was pretty good.  Always entertaining, but I thought they didn't do as much as they could have.

First off, the last 2 hours were extremely commercial heavy. 

I was also surprised at how many old clips they showed, and how few sketches they did considering it was live.  There was only what, 4, maybe 5 actual sketches? And while it served to get a lot of people involved, I've always found The Californians to be stupid.  I also think they continue to think Garth and Kat are far more funny than they actually are.  

With the sketches they did do, I was surprised they didn't do more to include as many people as they did.  ie. Buckwheat being the taste tester in the Akroyd infomercial sketch.  Would have been fun to see crossovers like "Wild and Crazy Guys" on the Waynes World couch.  Also thought it was surprising how many people had multiple roles.  Why use Peyton Manning and Miley Cyrus in the monologue if they also have roles later in the show? Would have been cool to see them fit in as many folks as they could.

As far as the musical acts, I thought 4 was too many.  I also thought it was a disservice to the history of the show to have Miley Cyrus and Kanye West as 2 of the 4 performers.  It made sense to have McCartney and Simon perform as they have a long, storied presence in the history of the show.  Would have made more sense to have found performers with more ties to the history of the show. edit: then again, after looking up the history of musical acts, that was now Kanye's 6th time performing on SNL, so he does indeed have a storied history with the show.

Also would have been cool to see crossovers in the musical performances, like Dave Grohl (been on the show 11 times) playing drums for McCartney.  That's one thing I think Kanye's performance succeeded in, including other performers. 

No Fallon or Timberlake after the cold open was a little disappointing.  I was also surprised that, at least as far as what they showed on camera, that Eddie Murphy was the only person to get a standing ovation. Eddie certainly is worthy of one, just was interesting to see it be the only one they showed on camera.  I would guess Chevy and a few others got one as well and they just weren't shown.

All in all, certainly a fun night and trip down memory lane.  Fitting that Wayne's World ended the show (like it debuted), and IMO was up there with Jeopardy as the best of the night.  Would have been cool to see more like that.  Probably would have been a good night to pull out Family Feud, though two gameshow sketches may have been one too many. Still, Family Feud with a team of the 70's vs a team of the 90's? Yes please.

I imagine no matter what they did tonight though, it would have left people wanting more.

I still wish they'd go through with that SNL tv channel that they talked about a few years ago.

Was 1999/2000 one of the best casts in the history of the show? Not a single weak link.

Jimmy Fallon
Will Ferrell
Ana Gasteyer
Darrell Hammond
Chris Kattan
Tim Meadows
Tracy Morgan
Cheri Oteri
Chris Parnell
Colin Quinn
Horatio Sanz
Molly Shannon
Rachel Dratch
Maya Rudolph

Tina Fey was also the head writer.

damn it.. I love SNL.... I totally forgot about this and was getting caught up on some stuff on my DVR.. Oh well, it will be on again or I can just "find" it on the internet somewhere...

Sounds like it was a pretty cool show

looks like SNL has put a great deal of it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqFzWxSCi39LnW1JKFR3efg

And he has just made some really bad decisions.

during the red carpet pre-show they interviewed him and my initial impression was "I wonder if he has the early stages of Alzheimer's".  I forget the question they exactly asked him, it was something about being on the show in the beginning, and the way he responded, it was almost as if he had to remind himself of that part of his life.

Jeopardy we the best IMO.

In a way I feel bad for Chevy.

Chase was lucky to be invited. Universally despised by the original cast and Michaels. In fact, Bill Murray kick his ass right before he hosted in year three. You can see marks on his face. He was banned from the show in 1987 after hitting Cheri O'Teri in the back of the head. He is a prick.

Eddie Murphy is another person there was Zero love lost for after he left.

Chase was lucky to be invited. Universally despised by the original cast and Michaels. In fact, Bill Murray kick his ass right before he hosted in year three. You can see marks on his face. He was banned from the show in 1987 after hitting Cheri O'Teri in the back of the head. He is a prick.

Eddie Murphy is another person there was Zero love lost for after he left.

Totally get that there is no love lost.  Just sad to see all the bad choices he has made (over and over and over again).

Edit:  It reminds me of some of my former students actually.

Archived