Blast from the past to get you through the NFL doldrums

I have a fairly sizable collection of old Bengals games on DVD and VHS.   So I put up a game on youtube for however long it lasts.  It's no good quality as the VHS tape I dubbed to DVD to convert and upload was probably 20 years old and recorded in standard def.  But it's clear enough.   It is also unedited , so all the ads are still in it, which are kinds interesting if you like that kind of nostalgic stuff.  Also I somehow double uploaded it ...the game wasn't 7 hrs long!

So here's the link for however long it lasts before somebody gripes about a copyright....

Dec 1999, the last NFL game at old Riverfront stadium,  Bengals rout the Browns 44-28 in a game that wasn't even that close.  Corey Dillon rushes for nearly 200 yds in less than 3 quarters.

http://youtu.be/mBhx93qbUyc

Ok. just uploaded another end of an Era Game.

Sept 2001.  Opening day at PBS.  Bengals vs Patriots led by Drew Bledsoe.

A few days later, the world as we know it would change forever as 2 jets crash into the twin towers and usher in the next unending war.

The next game, Mo Lewis of the Jets would slam into Bledsoe as he scrambled up the sideline, leaving the Pats to have to manage with a 6th rd supplemental pick from the year before, Tom Brady, who "Wally Pipp-ed" Bledsoe out of town after he signed a record 10 yr $100 mil contract earlier that year.

http://youtu.be/dq0wy55SSBc

The Blue level bar...that is a memory. Didn't they have one on that level you couldn't get into unless you had some special status? I remember it had some German name like Bodenbrauplatz or some damn thing?

I was on the third level (326) was covered by the overhang, so never got wet. The concourse on that level didn't have a bar...it was just a Thuderdrome collection of lunies massed together nuts to butts, smoking/drinking/puking/fighting. A grand place for children. There will never be another Riverfront.

Another one.  This time the rematch with Cleveland in Nov 1981.  They beat us earlier in the year at our house and the last game of 1980--the "Thom Darden" game.  Winning this one was big back in '81.   The next week we would lose to the 49ers and then played at Pittsburgh after that.  If the Bengals had lost this game they would have just a 1 game lead on Pit going into their house.

BTW....where is this shared folder you speak of?  If these get deleted from Youtube, I can move them there.  As it is, they are not just for my Go-Bengals colleauges, but for all Bengal fans across the world.  so I'm going to keep them on youtube as long as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAgEg6QuvDc

Thanks. That was fun to watch. 

The announcers called Scott & Pickens the best WR pair in NFL.????, They also said Browns should take Peter Warrick with the first pick.

While there was some talent, there were a lot of positions with mediocre players. Just for fun, who played in that game that would have clearly started for our 2014 team?

-Dillon--almost forgot how dominating he was

-Scott at #2 WR? 

-Braham

-Willie

-Spikes

-Copeland at one of DE spots

-Simmons??

-Anyone else?

-TMack at KR?

[quote name="Dr Tarzan" post="1431818" timestamp="1424644321"]Another one.  This time the rematch with Cleveland in Nov 1981.  They beat us earlier in the year at our house and the last game of 1980--the "Thom Darden" game.  Winning this one was big back in '81.   The next week we would lose to the 49ers and then played at Pittsburgh after that.  If the Bengals had lost this game they would have just a 1 game lead on Pit going into their house.

BTW....where is this shared folder you speak of?  If these get deleted from Youtube, I can move them there.  As it is, they are not just for my Go-Bengals colleauges, but for all Bengal fans across the world.  so I'm going to keep them on youtube as long as possible.

This is great, thanks! Do you have any other games from 81? I'd love to see the Denver game or the 1st Pittsburgh game.

[quote name="Dr Tarzan" post="1431818" timestamp="1424644321"]Another one.  This time the rematch with Cleveland in Nov 1981.  They beat us earlier in the year at our house and the last game of 1980--the "Thom Darden" game.  Winning this one was big back in '81.   The next week we would lose to the 49ers and then played at Pittsburgh after that.  If the Bengals had lost this game they would have just a 1 game lead on Pit going into their house.

This is great, thanks! Do you have any other games from 81? I'd love to see the Denver game or the 1st Pittsburgh game.

Don't have the Denver game....but I have BOTH Steeler games....they were GLORIOUS!!!!    Takes freakin' forever to upload something on Youtube.

Thanks. That was fun to watch. 

The announcers called Scott & Pickens the best WR pair in NFL.????, They also said Browns should take Peter Warrick with the first pick.

While there was some talent, there were a lot of positions with mediocre players. Just for fun, who played in that game that would have clearly started for our 2014 team?

-Dillon--almost forgot how dominating he was

-Scott at #2 WR? 

-Braham

-Willie

-Spikes

-Copeland at one of DE spots

-Simmons??

-Anyone else?

-TMack at KR?

well first of all the uniforms would definitely trump the '14 unis.

Tony McGee was a pretty good TE.

Was James Francis still around in '99?

He was at Washington in the 1999 season.

I still have an authentic flying tiger jersey from that era. Always loved those uniforms.

If anyone thinks this years defensive line was devoid of pressure...'99 was it's older cousin. 2000 was a bad season...1999 was simply painful.

Don't have the Denver game....but I have BOTH Steeler games....they were GLORIOUS!!!!    Takes freakin' forever to upload something on Youtube.

Thanks for the Pittsburgh game! That's got to be one of the best games in franchise history! The Isaac Curtis catch in the 2nd half is insane!

1981 is still my favorite Bengals season in history, topping 1988.  I think it was because it was so unexpected.  When they got off to a decent start, I started having dreams of a 9-7 season and maybe even a wildcard spot.  Never did I suspect they'd actually go 12-4, get home field, and play in a Super Bowl.

It was good times, for sure, not just because the Bengals were good, but because it came at the start of a bad run by Pittsburgh, at least by their standards.  1980 began a run of 11 times in a 12-year stretch that they failed to reach double-digits in wins, and the Bengals owned them in both 1980 and 1981.

IMO, 80s. Uniforms with a little modern clean up would look so much better.

Absolutely.  I hate when teams get it right and then screw it up, and you see it with so many franchises.  The Bengals are generally regarded among the worst uniforms in sports at the sportslogos.net forums.  I hope Nike doesn't make a mess of the Browns, but that may be expecting too much.

Another one.  This time the rematch with Cleveland in Nov 1981.  They beat us earlier in the year at our house and the last game of 1980--the "Thom Darden" game.  Winning this one was big back in '81.   The next week we would lose to the 49ers and then played at Pittsburgh after that.  If the Bengals had lost this game they would have just a 1 game lead on Pit going into their house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAgEg6QuvDc

Holy crap thank you for posting this game, I have been looking for it for years now. I was only 9 but I remember that 40 yard Collinsworth TD catch at the 8:20 mark. 

Archived