Artrell Hawkins loses H.S. Coaching Job Before He Begins

High School Harry

H.S. rescinds coaching offer to former NFL player
By Danielle Elliot1 hour ago

Former NFL player Artrell Hawkins Jr. was recently offered the chance to coach football at his alma mater, Bishop McCort High School in Johnstown, Pa. At a press conference announcing the hiring, he said he felt like he'd been hired to coach at Notre Dame.

Within days, though, the school rescinded the offer. It appears administrators had not completed a background check before offering Hawkins the position. Once they did, they realized he was not an appropriate choice.

“Coaching successions go through a formal process. … Unfortunately, this process was not appropriately followed in this circumstance,” school officials wrote in a statement. 

The Associated Press reports that the decision was related to a domestic violence arrest last year in Cinncinnati, but the school's public relations spokesperson did not respond when the AP asked if that was the reason.

Police were called to Hawkins' house in Springdale, Ohio, last year after he kicked in a basement door and, according to the report, made his wife fear for her and their children's safety. 

Hawkins was found not guilty in the case – but this is reportedly not the first time it has cost him a job. Defense attorney William Gallagher told the AP that it also cost Hawkins a radio gig with Fox Sports.

A second-round pick in the 1998 NFL Draft, Hawkins played six seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals, one with the Carolina Panthers, and two with the New England Patriots before retiring in 2006.

What about his job as an NFL player.  Was he fired from that?  Maybe you should stop slandering him when you don't know shit about the guy aside from what you hear.  

and you should stop running around always with an axe to grind.

As for the NFL, he signed with 5 teams over his career.  2 let him walk, 3 cut him, and 1 he retired during training camp.

Post football, he's been fired by ESPN, Fox Sports, (I think the Bengals Radio Network too) and now had a football job been revoked.

He has a history of behavior that has led him to losing jobs throughout his life.  It is what it is.

He was not charged in the domestic case, which caused his ouster from the radio jobs he had.  All charges were dropped and he was issued an apology.  But the jobs were gone. He had the football job revoked due to behavior issues?  Pls expound on what you know.  The football job was revoked because of outside pressure......nothing to do with his behavior. 

I have an axe to grind with idiots who try to defame someone with absolutely zero first hand knowledge of the character of the individual.  How about you shut the fuck up next time instead of parroting what you've heard.  After all, it is an actual individual you're talking about.  One with a family and a life here in Cincinnati.  

He was not charged in the domestic case, which caused his ouster from the radio jobs he had.  All charges were dropped and he was issued an apology.  But the jobs were gone. He had the football job revoked due to behavior issues?  Pls expound on what you know.  The football job was revoked because of outside pressure......nothing to do with his behavior. 

I have an axe to grind with idiots who try to defame someone with absolutely zero first hand knowledge of the character of the individual.  How about you shut the fuck up next time instead of parroting what you've heard.  After all, it is an actual individual you're talking about.  One with a family and a life here in Cincinnati.  

lol you do realize you spend the majority of your time on this site doing exactly this?

I actually really liked his show with Andy Furman on FOX sports.  I can't stand Furman and his schtick, but I thought Hawkins was a good foil. I have to say though, the dude was always calling off work.  It got really bad toward the end where it seemed like any given morning you had about a 50/50 chance of getting Andy and "the fill-in".  It got to where people on the show were making sarcastic remarks in regards to his absences.

Seriously, you got a gig doing radio that pays you far too much money for coming in and talking into a microphone for a couple hours a day and you can't manage to show up to that?  It makes me wonder how he lasted as long as he did in the NFL.

As far as the "domestic violence" shit goes it kind of bothers me that this would keep him from getting jobs.  The story I heard was that he had been trying to get into the house to get some of his shit back but she had changed the locks and wasn't cooperating, so he tried to break into the basement window.. He was never charged with actual violence.. Sorry if I don't count her being "terrified for her safety" as a violent attack. It was poor judgement for sure, but I have learned when it comes to domestic matters that people often make poor decisions due to emotions.

lol you do realize you spend the majority of your time on this site doing exactly this?

No I don't....I talk about the football skills, or lack thereof, of a professional football player.  I don't get into him personally, or his behavior off the field, in attempts to make judgments on his character.  Quite the opposite.  I've stated many times that Dalton is a class A individual, apart from football.  Where he sucks.   

Not the same thing at all, you see.  

But I do appreciate the fact that you realized you fucked up, and made an attempt to change the direction of the discussion to try to point that I do the same thing.  Humility can be a wonderful thing.  

No I don't....I talk about the football skills, or lack thereof, of a professional football player.  I don't get into him personally, or his behavior off the field, in attempts to make judgments on his character.  Quite the opposite.  I've stated many times that Dalton is a class A individual, apart from football.  Where he sucks.   

Not the same thing at all, you see.  

But I do appreciate the fact that you realized you fucked up, and made an attempt to change the direction of the discussion to try to point that I do the same thing.  Humility can be a wonderful thing.  

:lol:

that's not at all what I was doing.  I'm comfortable in my opinion of Hawkins.

To clarify though, are you the pot or the kettle in this story?

I know Artrell was coaching little league in the Princeton area and was trying to get 9-10 year old's to run a zone blitz defense....lol...that surprisingly didn't work out so well. 

I wish him the best, he could always be a late night R&B radio station DJ with that voice...This is the Quiet Storm with Artrell Hawkins..

I grew up about 10 minutes away from Bishop McCort.  Doesn't surprise me that they thought their standards were too high to hire a guy with a domestic violence arrest in his background (even if no charges were filed).  McCort is one of those uptight Catholic schools in a small town that thinks it's way better than it actually is.  Put that school in a bigger city, and no one would even know it exists.  But in Johnstown, they think they're the only school that matters.  They constantly poach the best athletes from the surrounding public schools and pretend like they're not doing anything wrong and that it's all about "academics".  

Everyone who doesn't have ties to that school hates everything about it.  Everyone with ties to it treats it like a cult.  

Archived