Keystone XL Pipeline

Go Skins

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/obama-vetoes-keystone-pipeline-approval-bill/ar-BBhVyjK?ocid=ansnewsreu11

WASHINGTON, Feb 24 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama on Tuesday, as promised, swiftly vetoed a Republican bill approving the Keystone XL oil pipeline, leaving the long-debated project in limbo for another indefinite period.

The U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, after receiving Obama's veto message, immediately countered by announcing the Republican-led chamber would attempt to override it by March 3.

That is unlikely. Despite their majority, Republicans are four votes short of being able to overturn Obama's veto.

They have vowed to attach language approving the pipeline to a spending bill or other legislation later in the year that the president would find difficult to veto.

The TransCanada Corp pipeline would carry 830,000 barrels a day of mostly Canadian oil sands crude to Nebraska en route to refineries and ports along the U.S. Gulf. It has been pending for more than six years.

Obama, who rejected the bill hours after it was sent to the White House, said the measure unwisely bypassed a State Department process that will determine whether the project would be beneficial to the United States.

"Through this bill, the United States Congress attempts to circumvent longstanding and proven processes for determining whether or not building and operating a cross-border pipeline serves the national interest," he wrote in his veto message.

Republicans, who support the project because of its job-creation potential, made passing a bill a top priority after the November election, when they gained control of the U.S. Senate and strengthened their majority in the House of Representatives.

I am taking a Business Law at George Mason University and the teacher mentioned this in class last night, saying Obama hadn't vetoed anything in 5 years and a student said it was only the 3rd veto in his administration.  I asked if Congress had enough to overturn this, which the teacher felt they do.

Oops.

I am taking a Business Law at George Mason University and the teacher mentioned this in class last night, saying Obama hadn't vetoed anything in 5 years and a student said it was only the 3rd veto in his administration.  I asked if Congress had enough to overturn this, which the teacher felt they do.

Oops.

Washington Post disagrees with your professor

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/02/24/keystone-xl-bill-a-k-a-veto-bait-heads-to-presidents-desk/

Anybody care to give me a quick rundown on what the deal is with this pipeline? I have paid literally 0 attention to this topic.

What are the reasons for not wanting it built?

Quick and dirty reasons for not wanting it.

1. It only creates 35 permanent jobs in the US

2. Most of the oil produced from it isnt even going to the US

3. Environmental issues

4. Safety issues (The CEO of Exxon just filed a lawsuit to prevent fracking near his house, you'd think if he really believed in it's safety he'd be ok with them fracking there)

At least she was partly right:

Congressional Republicans sent a bill authorizing the pipeline to the president's desk Tuesday. It is the third veto Obama has issued, and Earnest said earlier Tuesday it would be done "without any fanfare or delay."

There was a lot more popular support when gas was pushing $5 a gallon.  Heard people railing about Obama because of course the oil companies are going to pass the savings from another pipeline on to us consumers, right?

Yes, the President controls gas prices.  No word on if he's still the antichrist with the price around $2.

At this point I'm not sure how this benefits anyone but Republican investors.. er, I mean "campaign contributors".

• 8 months later...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/06/politics/keystone-xl-pipeline-decision-rejection-kerry/index.html

Washington (CNN)Secretary of State John Kerry has recommended that the U.S. reject the Keystone XL pipeline, senior administration officials told CNN, concluding the controversial project is not in the country's national security interest.

Kerry will meet with President Barack Obama this morning, after which the President is expected to speak to his top diplomat's decision.

Kerry's determination spells almost certain death for the massive project, a seven-year political fight that has pitted oil companies and Republicans against environmentalists.

Archived