Tough New 'Net Neutrality' Rules Approved By FCC

Go Skins

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tough-new-net-neutrality-rules-777994?utm_source=twitter

There are now controversial new rules of the road on the electronic superhighway, which backers predict will insure a free and open Internet.

Led by chairman Tom Wheeler, the Federal Communication Commission on Thursday in Washington, D.C. approved landmark regulations which employ a version of Title II of the Communications Act to govern online access and traffic, both wired and wireless.

This is seen as the most important change in communications policy since the 1996 Telecom Act; and a significant expansion of the FCC’s traditional jurisdiction.

The vote, as expected, was strictly along party lines. It was three Democrats (Wheeler, Mignon Clyburn and Jessica Rosenworcel) in favor and two Republicans commissioners dissenting (Ajit Pai and Michael O’Rielly).

The vote went forward even though the two Republicans on the FCC asked for a delay to allow more time for review.

They criticized Wheeler for not making the process transparent enough and circulating all of the terms to the public as well as to the commissioners in advance of the vote.

I really don't understand why Republicans were against it. Don't most of the telecom dollars go to democrats?

Because it's a government regulation and they've staked their role in government on being anti-government.

No, I don't quite understand it either.

it is amazing to me some people i work with in IT  are salty about this.  Just because it's Obama and "drrr.. government is evil.".  I mean, no net neutrality would literally make it so it cost us more to do business.  And if it cost more to do business they make cuts somewhere and it is not sr management

I wonder if people complained about government interference when they told ford and other car manufacturers they had to stop building death traps.

If you wan to argue that the FCC could abuse this new power, fine.   Give me reasons.   If you think the ruling itself is shit, argue those merits.

Archived