The Reds Spring Training Thread

Jason

So I was watching the Reds spring game yesterday when I got home.  They were playing it on tape delay.  I got home in time for the 3rd inning.  Saw the Reds score 3 in the 4th then 1 in the 5th.  Then they showed the Indians at bad in the top of the 6th.  Then "Due to time constraints we move ahead in the action. 
So they skip a 3 run inning for the Reds and show another Indians at bat.

Then they do it again.

Thanks MLB Network  for skipping the Reds scoring innings to show the Indians do nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
Cingrani to the bullpen, setting the rotation to Cueto-Leake-Boxcar Willie-Hey You and a heated competition for the last spot between Ol' What's-his-name and the promising upstart Jimmy HowDoYouSpellThat

Did Price get to one of those dispensaries?

Cingrani to the bullpen, setting the rotation to Cueto-Leake-Boxcar Willie-Hey You and a heated competition for the last spot between Ol' What's-his-name and the promising upstart Jimmy HowDoYouSpellThat

Did Price get to one of those dispensaries?

I'm wondering if Cingrani moving back to a closer is due to the arm injuries he's been running into and the possibility (hopefully) of trading Chapman.  I think he was a closer at Rice before they tried to stretch him out.  Not that it helps our rotation, but supposedly the Igelsias kid has looked pretty good this spring.  Jason Marquis in the rotation is a disaster, though.

I'm wondering if Cingrani moving back to a closer is due to the arm injuries he's been running into and the possibility (hopefully) of trading Chapman.  I think he was a closer at Rice before they tried to stretch him out.  Not that it helps our rotation, but supposedly the Igelsias kid has looked pretty good this spring.  Jason Marquis in the rotation is a disaster, though.

Yeah I'm expecting both Chapman & Cueto to be dealt before the end of the year.

If we are out of the race by the deadline, I agree.

If we're being honest I expect them out of the race by the All-Star game.. if they even get out of the gate.

Pardon the negativity but I'm having a hard time mustering much enthusiasm.

A healthy Votto and Bruce has me optimistic. Especially if Homer is ready early.

Bruce is a career .250 hitter that will reach his 1000th strikeout this season if he does stay healthy. More importantly the reason nobody bothers pitching to Votto.  Who seems like a bit of a headcase himself at this point, but we'll see what happens.

Homer is inconsistent, paying him like an ace won't turn him into one.

I'm cautiously optimistic if Byrd can keep up what he has been doing.  A lot of low scoring ball games lost last year.  We won't have the pitching staff we had last year, but if Mes and Frazier can keep up what they did last year and Votto can get on base, I think we won't have such a stagnant offense.   The only hitter in the line-up that isn't much of a threat is Cozart.  The rest can do some damage.

Obviously strikeouts will be the shadow looming large over this team.  If they can exercise some patience and stop going down 0/1-2 in the hole every at bat, I think we could contend with the Cards and Pirates. 

Yeah, I am looking forward to seeing if Frazier and Mes can keep it going. I mean, don't get me wrong, I will still be following the team - more so on radio as the weather improves - but my expectations are damned low.

Confidence levels are not high.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived