Hobson's Choice: free-agency up for debate again

The fact that we actually discuss the importance and proper roll for a MARGINAL player playing a MARGINAL position in the NFL is a testament to how desperate this fan base is. Ryan Hewitt is Kenny Watson..nothing more.

someone seems really bitter the last few days...

I think it's hilarious that people are already complaining about what we do in FA when FA hasn't even started yet.
Don't get me wrong, I'm nervous as well they aren't going to make the moves they need to to take the next step, but bitching about it before we even see what their plan is is quite funny.

We already know what their plan is. Sit out FA for 2 weeks then pick up ok players cheap from the bargain bin. It's the same plan they have had since FA began and pretending this time it will be different is laughable.

What really makes me sick is reading the same statement, year after year by an apoligist for the Bengal's front office trying to shame us into not having faith in the club and laughing at us. This year won't be different, it never is.

someone seems really bitter the last few days...

Not bitter, just laughing at those who think this year will be different. Hewitt is a role player at the VERY best..nothing more. If he got cut tomorrow nobody would notice other than people here who think he actually matters.

Not bitter, just laughing at those who think this year will be different. Hewitt is a role player at the VERY best..nothing more. If he got cut tomorrow nobody would notice other than people here who think he actually matters.

I think you mean Burkhead?

And yes. This year will be no different, and possibly worse.

What is really starting to annoy me in these Hobson articles is that he always stresses how the Bengals need to make sure to keep their own players instead of getting outside talent. Yes, lets keep all of these players that choke so bad in the playoffs that they shit themselves. Lets keep them all and wait for the championships to roll in. The coach is soft, the players are soft, the organization is soft.

But lets resign them all and then get out there and lose by less than usual!!!1111championship111!!

We already know what their plan is. Sit out FA for 2 weeks then pick up ok players cheap from the bargain bin. It's the same plan they have had since FA began and pretending this time it will be different is laughable.

What really makes me sick is reading the same statement, year after year by an apoligist for the Bengal's front office trying to shame us into not having faith in the club and laughing at us. This year won't be different, it never is.

I'm not apologizing for anythig or trying to shame you.

I'm just saying lets at least wait and see what happens before flipping the fuck out.

I'm just saying lets at least wait and see what happens before flipping the fuck out.

Why? Hobknob is already out there doing his usual job of tamping down expectations that the team would put its large amount of cap space to use on upgrades. This team isn't going to win a Superbowl because they don't try. It's simply not an organizational goal beyond lip service. Serious teams understand what is required. The Bengals don't. Other things like estate planning and providing jobs for the family are much higher priorities. 

The catalyst is Hobsons article- and Hobson never being wrong in his pre-free agency prognostications (and rarely ever wrong in his draft write-ups as long as the players aren't taken).

Basically, the team tells him what they are going to do, not going to do and then he writes about it. Every year we wish this wasn't the case, and every year it is.

I was very skeptical about Marvins comments re: M Brown being aggressive in FA, and now, I am downright sure it is more of the same. Unless they can somehow get an amazing deal on a very good talent, we are shopping at goodwill again this year. They arent looking for something high end to wear to the prom, because they wont have tickets to get in. They are looking for something to wear just so they dont get ticketed for indecent exposure. Yet once again this year, they will be left exposed for what they are- a second or third rate team.

Because I was born into it, dumbshit.

Congratulations for being happy this team is the 12th runner up each year. I bet your back gets sore from all the pats you give yourself.

I want the team to do what it takes to be one of the best teams in the NFL. Sorry for being a fucking fan in your presence.

Such an idiotic response.

Wow, way to make a personal attack.

You have a choice who you root for.  If I genuinely felt that way I would root for another team. 

I do not agree with everything they do, but as far as free agency I mostly do.  They spend the big money on their own guys who earn it.  Big money free agents are a crap shoot.  Did Revis help the Pats?  Yes.  Is he why they won the Super Bowl? No. 

Hobson is putting out his opinion based on previous years.  They have said they will be more aggressive in free agency.  What exactly that means, I don't know yet, and neither does he.  But honestly, looking at this free agent class, especially at DE, the guys that fit what we do are either mediocre, got tagged, or have major red flags.

This team is loaded with talent.  They also had a bad year for injuries. But let's be real, the 2 biggest reasons they have failed in recent post seasons won't be fixed in free agency or the draft this year.

The catalyst is Hobsons article- and Hobson never being wrong in his pre-free agency prognostications (and rarely ever wrong in his draft write-ups as long as the players aren't taken).

Basically, the team tells him what they are going to do, not going to do and then he writes about it. Every year we wish this wasn't the case, and every year it is.

I was very skeptical about Marvins comments re: M Brown being aggressive in FA, and now, I am downright sure it is more of the same. Unless they can somehow get an amazing deal on a very good talent, we are shopping at goodwill again this year. They arent looking for something high end to wear to the prom, because they wont have tickets to get in. They are looking for something to wear just so they dont get ticketed for indecent exposure. Yet once again this year, they will be left exposed for what they are- a second or third rate team.

I think it all goes back to the early 2000s. I firmly believe the league's owners had a talk with MB and said you have to at least try. They have found a good formula to give a good appearance and save massive amounts of money on the other end i.e. the massive fringe benefits say a player in Dallas, San Fran, Seattle et. al. receive. Hell, our most marketable player is Icky Woods.

I couldn't even read the article, but mostly because Hobson's writing style has become so painful to me that I simply can't handle it. 

And certainly, The Drive for Five Hobism, though meeting his singular criteria of rhyming, is actually a fireable offense.  Who knows, maybe he's aware and is himself invoking an ironic slogan, which would make me appreciate it and him much more.  In fact, I think I'm going to read all of his posts in Khat's voice for a while. Maybe that will take two terribles and make a good.

Anyway, I detect some kvetching here over Hewitt and Burkhead?  Why on earth would that be?

Hewitt was probably the biggest reason our run game had the lift it did last year (along with Jeremy Hill, of course). We hadn't seen lanes sealed off like that, blocks sustained, hammer dropped, for years.  People were nuts over Chris Pressley but all he could do was ram into the hole. Hewitt has shown an amazing ability to get THROUGH the hole, and seal LB's scraping in completely off. IMO, that makes him worth his weight in gold, and his ability to get meaningful receptions as an Hback is gravy.  And LOL if you thin that Chris Pressley or some other Bull FB could supply meaningful catches downfield. It's also something I fully expect to see more of from him, given his production in that regard at Stanford, and the fact that he has done nothing but perform since he's been here.  Hewitt was a major bright spot last season, and if you can't see that, you are a human blind spot.   

As for Burkhead, again, what's the deal?!  Here we have a guy who's done nothing but produced with the snaps he's gotten.  He's also the #3 running back, a guy who, ideally, can replace your #1 and #2 if they go down.  In this case, Gio is an Air Back and Jeremy Hill is a well-rounded workhorse, and both of those things are something that Rex can be in a fill-in role at worse.  Add to that the fact that he is, in fact, and exceptional receiver, and had a breakout-level performance as a slot receiver in the playoff game, and well, his utility goes up markedly.  And that's exactly what you want from your 3rd RB: a utility man. If he can be something in the slot on certain plays and in certain packages, where teams aren't sure if he's going to run, line up to block, or actual go out in the slot, well, then that makes him yet another versatile weapon that will help AD, or whoever we have at QB. 

People always talk about the New England Way around here, but when we actually effectively emulate some of the very things that drive their success, we get moans and groans from the ignorami.

And we don't even need to talk about how either of these guys are among our most consistent ST players.

Or that they are exceptionally intelligent, high character guys.

You can knock all you want on the Bengals philosophy and approach to FA.  But if you knock on either of these guys all you are doing is showing the world that you are an actual football idiot.

Hobson makes it seem like Cleveland and Oakland are the only teams that active in FA, when NE signed Revis and Browner and won the SuperBowl; Denver went big in FA and got a first round bye, the Packers signed Peppers and would've made it to Super Bowl if not for a special teams blunder.... Plenty of great franchise with exponentially more success than this franchise have went big in FA and had success. 

I'm not saying that the Bengals have to spend big this off season or the sky will fall, but to act like the only teams that go after big time players in FA are the annual bottom dwellers of the NFL is ridiculous. 

I think this spend thrift mentality that the Bengals have can be attributed to the fact that the owners are not billionaires who bought an NFL franchise as an expensive toy, but treat this franchise like a Mom & Pop corner store. Most NFL owners are people who made their money in other areas and know what it takes to succeed in business, they understand that some times you have spend a lot of money to have success and if it doesn't work you don't abandon all hopes and never venture into the deep waters again. 

So what happens, say, if they DO go out and sign a titan in FA?

Certainly all of you asshats can come up with some suitable humiliating punishment for yourselves, be dolled out here in public view, and would be willing to go ahead and lay that down now given your certainty of how this will all play out.

Because they won't possibly do anything differently, you won't possibly be humiliated.  

Certainly all of you asshats can come up with some suitable humiliating punishment for yourselves, be dolled out here in public view, and would be willing to go ahead and lay that down now given your certainty of how this will all play out.

Because they won't possibly do anything differently, you won't possibly be humiliated.  

I dont have problem with that and Greg Hardy, a woman beating piece of shit, doesn't count.

By the way, what will YOU do when they don't make a splash in FA? If you are going to call some of us out, you better be willing to step up and take the other side of the bet.

Oh, I haven't said that they will make a big splash, but that they should.

I also haven't whined like a little girl about what they haven't done yet either, simply because they've had a certain profile in the past. 

In short, I'm being an adult.  

And like most adults, I've learned that if you distract a child with a childish game, you might be afforded a few minutes of peace, and maybe even a giggle or two.

One thing's for sure: I've got my popcorn ready.

And LMAO that the guy who we are now openly tied to via an ESPN report is the one that you're saying doesn't count.  This being a top 5 FA in the league that many of us actual FOOTBALL fans would do cartwheels over signing.

Did I say something about children?

Oh, I haven't said that they will make a big splash, but that they should.

I also haven't whined like a little girl about what they haven't done yet either, simply because they've had a certain profile in the past. 

In short, I'm being an adult.  

And like most adults, I've learned that if you distract a child with a childish game, you might be afforded a few minutes of peace, and maybe even a giggle or two.

One thing's for sure: I've got my popcorn ready.

I am sure the Cleveland Front office would love for you to be their spokesman being an adult and all. You can practice on us, say some good things about the future of Jonny Football.

BTW, the Bengals haven't won a playoff game with 12 year head coach Marvin Lewis yet....guess I should stop whinning.

I am sure the Cleveland Front office would love for you to be their spokesman being an adult and all. You can practice on us, say some good things about the future of Jonny Football.

Huh?

Buddhist Saying: It is not important to be right, but relevant.

Try to keep up.

Or at least make sense.

Huh?

Buddhist Saying: It is not important to be right, but relevant.

Try to keep up.

Or at least make sense.

Whatever, if the goal is to be relavent the Bengals have pretty much failed there as well. They have been nothing more than schedule fillers and a playoff warm up game for 25 years.

And LMAO that the guy who we are now openly tied to via an ESPN report is the one that you're saying doesn't count.  This being a top 5 FA in the league that many of us actual FOOTBALL fans would do cartwheels over signing.

Did I say something about children?

Is it asking too much to sign guys who don't get people shot in strip clubs or assault and threaten to kill their girlfriends? You know, guys their former clubs had to release because of the public outcry?

I loved listening to ESPN and them talk about the Bengals being a good fit since we have a history of taking "these kinds" of players. Bottom fishing for scum is what we are known for?

Every guy who hits FA, particularly if they are big names and producers, come with big question marks.  There's a reason they hit the open market.  

I'll take a guy who's an animal on the field and who's team lobbies ownership to keep him all day long, over some guy who say, has torn his pectoral muscle THREE times or a guy who's on the wrong side of 30, or a guy who's miraculously managed to get 10 sacks a year - while playing on a line that nets 40 sacks beyond him.

Or I'd go for Justin Houston for the same reasons, and know that I'm spending extra for the lack of character concern too.  That's the price difference the NFL has placed on guys without question marks versus guys with it.  

It makes me LMAO that you guys scream and cry about not playing the game but then have all of these qualifiers about how it should be done.

Seriously, I'm curious who/what equals FA success this year?

I'd be thrilled with a Jared Odrick type DT and a Sean Witherspoon type LB (or even David Harris). But then I'm also looking at our team's biggest hole and need, and I'm looking at the draft and seeing that solution doesn't exist there this year (and arguably, ever if you're looking for instant 4-3 DE impact), and so I'm forced to mentally allocate our resources.

And that's the key.  You can't argue this shit in a vacuum without thinking about the hard numbers involved.  Who would you pay for, and how much?  Truth is, none of you are prepared for the amounts these guys are going to end up getting paid.  (that's always the other funny fall-out of FA, isn't it; the moans and groans about how this or that guy we would have wanted was worth no where near what he got?).

If anyone here is an asshat, it would be you...you have proven that time and time again...why don't you go back to the Bengals site for the enlightened fans who are more knowledgeable then us asshats. 

If anyone here is an asshat, it would be you...you have proven that time and time again...why don't you go back to the Bengals site for the enlightened fans who are more knowledgeable then us asshats. 

Wow. Your argument is so intelligent and compelling.  You've really countered my points well there.

Archived