Hobson's Choice: free-agency up for debate again

Wow. Your argument is so intelligent and compelling.  You've really countered my points well there.

Your thesis is we should give up two first round picks for Houston. There is no reason to counter an imaginary scenario that has ZERO chance of ever happening. Getting Peyton Manning has significantly better odds and those are minute as well.

If anyone here is an asshat, it would be you...you have proven that time and time again...why don't you go back to the Bengals site for the enlightened fans who are more knowledgeable then us asshats. 

BTW, and FTR, my post wasn't targeted at you.  You posted while I was typing.

Your thesis is we should give up two first round picks for Houston. There is no reason to counter an imaginary scenario that has ZERO chance of ever happening. Getting Peyton Manning has significantly better odds and those are minute as well.

LOL. Well, let's see. Both of those fantasy scenarios are ones which I have introduced to this board. Both for the sake of argument, both with the flashing light acknowledgement that they are unlikely to happen.

Why are you getting your panties all up in a bunch?

And maybe more relevant, why do you think MB and Katy would do something they've never done with one player while not doing it with another? Because that's what you WANT to have happen?  I realize your hate for AD colors everything, but c'mon man!

You see, you CAN have a hypothetical argument. I guess it just has to happen on your own terms, or at least has to fit one of your narratives:

1) AD Sucks

2) MB Sucks.

I, for one, am simply having fun throwing out what-ifs during this NFL week when basically nothing can be done because of FA dates/restrictions.

In other words, please don't tell me what I'm allowed to fantasize about just bc you lack the imagination.

And LMAO that the guy who we are now openly tied to via an ESPN report is the one that you're saying doesn't count.  This being a top 5 FA in the league that many of us actual FOOTBALL fans would do cartwheels over signing.

Did I say something about children?

Who are the Bengals openly tied to? Not saying we are or aren't, just genuinely curious because I haven't heard of any.

Who are the Bengals openly tied to? Not saying we are or aren't, just genuinely curious because I haven't heard of any.

Don't try to infuse logic into this thread...alleycat's on a roll showing everyone how much smarter he is than us stupid asshats. 

Coley Harvey made up some shit about the Bengals signing Greg Hardy and now it's going happen, because Coley Harvey said so!

I couldn't even read the article, but mostly because Hobson's writing style has become so painful to me that I simply can't handle it. 

And certainly, The Drive for Five Hobism, though meeting his singular criteria of rhyming, is actually a fireable offense.  Who knows, maybe he's aware and is himself invoking an ironic slogan, which would make me appreciate it and him much more.  In fact, I think I'm going to read all of his posts in Khat's voice for a while. Maybe that will take two terribles and make a good.

Anyway, I detect some kvetching here over Hewitt and Burkhead?  Why on earth would that be?

Hewitt was probably the biggest reason our run game had the lift it did last year (along with Jeremy Hill, of course). We hadn't seen lanes sealed off like that, blocks sustained, hammer dropped, for years.  People were nuts over Chris Pressley but all he could do was ram into the hole. Hewitt has shown an amazing ability to get THROUGH the hole, and seal LB's scraping in completely off. IMO, that makes him worth his weight in gold, and his ability to get meaningful receptions as an Hback is gravy.  And LOL if you thin that Chris Pressley or some other Bull FB could supply meaningful catches downfield. It's also something I fully expect to see more of from him, given his production in that regard at Stanford, and the fact that he has done nothing but perform since he's been here.  Hewitt was a major bright spot last season, and if you can't see that, you are a human blind spot.   

As for Burkhead, again, what's the deal?!  Here we have a guy who's done nothing but produced with the snaps he's gotten.  He's also the #3 running back, a guy who, ideally, can replace your #1 and #2 if they go down.  In this case, Gio is an Air Back and Jeremy Hill is a well-rounded workhorse, and both of those things are something that Rex can be in a fill-in role at worse.  Add to that the fact that he is, in fact, and exceptional receiver, and had a breakout-level performance as a slot receiver in the playoff game, and well, his utility goes up markedly.  And that's exactly what you want from your 3rd RB: a utility man. If he can be something in the slot on certain plays and in certain packages, where teams aren't sure if he's going to run, line up to block, or actual go out in the slot, well, then that makes him yet another versatile weapon that will help AD, or whoever we have at QB. 

People always talk about the New England Way around here, but when we actually effectively emulate some of the very things that drive their success, we get moans and groans from the ignorami.

And we don't even need to talk about how either of these guys are among our most consistent ST players.

Or that they are exceptionally intelligent, high character guys.

You can knock all you want on the Bengals philosophy and approach to FA.  But if you knock on either of these guys all you are doing is showing the world that you are an actual football idiot.

Not the point I was attempting to make. My point was that Burkhead should be used more extensively in the offense, primarily as a slot WR who should be getting 5 touches per game. Hobson made it seem as if the slot WR thing will only be gimmicky because he's too valuable as a 3rd RB. That's asinine. There is almost no value in a 3rd RB because RB as a position has relatively little value these days. If Burkhead can help this team, I don't wanna hear that he's also the backup to TWO other RB's. If he can help in the slot, he should help in the slot, regardless of the depth he provides in another area.

LOL. Well, let's see. Both of those fantasy scenarios are ones which I have introduced to this board. Both for the sake of argument, both with the flashing light acknowledgement that they are unlikely to happen.

Why are you getting your panties all up in a bunch?

And maybe more relevant, why do you think MB and Katy would do something they've never done with one player while not doing it with another? Because that's what you WANT to have happen?  I realize your hate for AD colors everything, but c'mon man!

You see, you CAN have a hypothetical argument. I guess it just has to happen on your own terms, or at least has to fit one of your narratives:

1) AD Sucks
2) MB Sucks.

I, for one, am simply having fun throwing out what-ifs during this NFL week when basically nothing can be done because of FA dates/restrictions.

In other words, please don't tell me what I'm allowed to fantasize about just bc you lack the imagination.

Sorry not a Dalton Defender or Hater...just understand what Peyton Manning can do for this organization which is WAY more than some guy named Houston. Signing Peyton Manning makes us an instant Super Bowl contender, giving up 2 first round picks and signing Houston to an expensive contract does no such thing.

Don't try to infuse logic into this thread...alleycat's on a roll showing everyone how much smarter he is than us stupid asshats. 

Coley Harvey made up some shit about the Bengals signing Greg Hardy and now it's going happen, because Coley Harvey said so!

Actually, all of you are on a roll, Hell, I'm starting on the Third Bag of Popcorn!! :good3:

We already know what their plan is. Sit out FA for 2 weeks then pick up ok players cheap from the bargain bin. It's the same plan they have had since FA began and pretending this time it will be different is laughable.

What really makes me sick is reading the same statement, year after year by an apoligist for the Bengal's front office trying to shame us into not having faith in the club and laughing at us. This year won't be different, it never is.

Quite ironic.  Hilarious to see what lengths people will go to in order to defend anything and everything the organization does.  As if the results haven't slapped them back to reality year after year after year after year.  But there they are again the next year.......defending everything the FO does.  Because; you know, we've been to the playoffs 4 yrs in a row.  

If anyone here is an asshat, it would be you...you have proven that time and time again...why don't you go back to the Bengals site for the enlightened fans who are more knowledgeable then us asshats. 

You can only have so many conversations with 2 other people.  Although the amount of knowledge in those 3 people who do post on that site probably surpasses this whole's site's collective knowledge.  They're just that smart....I feel so inferior. 

Quite ironic.  Hilarious to see what lengths people will go to in order to defend anything and everything the organization does.  As if the results haven't slapped them back to reality year after year after year after year.  But there they are again the next year.......defending everything the FO does.  Because; you know, we've been to the playoffs 4 yrs in a row.  

Well, please don't confuse me with that guy.

I've gone on record as saying that, despite my full-fledged support for the way the team has played FA in the last several years, so many cirucmstances conspire this year that I would like to see us make a major play.

I've also rained down criticism on the brand of never ending support for coaches and players on this team that prove ove time that they are basically just taking up space (OK, are even midling). 

And I've been openly saying that I think this team needs a new Head Coach (because let's face it, ownership won't be changing) for years now. I want a guy who isn't so emotionally unstable as Marvin, because, IMO, it's his personality that we see show up in crunch time (for proof, just look at his game management when the pressure is ever on).

So yeah, I have a lot of criticisms of the front office.  But having criticism doesn't prevent me from also having praise, or seeing those things that work.  Case in point is their approach to FA, and the draft, which IMO they have played to almost utter perfection since Carson Palmer ass-raped them (it's also a reason I'd still like Marvin to stay around in the FO were he to leave).

Simply put, I'm not blinded by hate.

Well, please don't confuse me with that guy.

I've gone on record as saying that, despite my full-fledged support for the way the team has played FA in the last several years, so many cirucmstances conspire this year that I would like to see us make a major play.

I've also rained down criticism on the brand of never ending support for coaches and players on this team that prove ove time that they are basically just taking up space (OK, are even midling). 

And I've been openly saying that I think this team needs a new Head Coach (because let's face it, ownership won't be changing) for years now. I want a guy who isn't so emotionally unstable as Marvin, because, IMO, it's his personality that we see show up in crunch time (for proof, just look at his game management when the pressure is ever on).

So yeah, I have a lot of criticisms of the front office.  But having criticism doesn't prevent me from also having praise, or seeing those things that work.  Case in point is their approach to FA, and the draft, which IMO they have played to almost utter perfection since Carson Palmer ass-raped them (it's also a reason I'd still like Marvin to stay around in the FO were he to leave).

Simply put, I'm not blinded by hate.

VirtualCookie_zps4b730dda.png

Archived