Nick Fairley visited the Bengals, signs with Rams after being snubbed

That's why Wilfork in Indy makes that much more sense.  The U Midwest campus = Indy these days.  I'm sure they'll find the money if they really want him.   Didn't know Washington signed 2 other DT's.  

Colts also signed Trent Cole and I think Kendall Langford who plays DT. 

They have to be tapped out.

Johnson got 3 years 21 million.

Gore - 3 years 12 million 6.5 guaranteed

Cole - 2 years 14 million 8 guaranteed

I think Langford got 4 years 17 million.

I've got no right to ask but if you've got the time could you plug in Preston and ZaDarius Smith?

It's no trouble at all.  There are actually two spreadsheets - one from the combine and then that one so I pretty much just cut and paste and let the forumlas do the rest.

I'd already done those (I've been putting in guys non stop, haha, including LBs etc.)

Preston Smith is mid-low risk: .98 explosion; 1.08 twitch (scored under 1.1 in twitch, but over 7.0s in 3 cone)

Zadarius smith is high risk: .89 power; 1.29 twitch

Interestingly, Henry Anderson also scores mid-low risk, because of outstanding twitch for his size: (.94 power; .85 twitch)

Oh, and Stephone Anthony comes out looking like a bit of a monster. Seriously, Beasley, Anthony, and Grady Jarrett would pretty much be my dream draft right now.  3 guys from the #1 D in the nation no less, and pretty much all the reason that happened.

Colts also signed Trent Cole and I think Kendall Langford who plays DT. 

Johnson got 3 years 21 million.
Gore - 3 years 12 million 6.5 guaranteed
Cole - 2 years 14 million 8 guaranteed
I think Langford got 4 years 17 million.

They definitely didn't save any money for rookies :o

It's no trouble at all.  There are actually two spreadsheets - one from the combine and then that one so I pretty much just cut and paste and let the forumlas do the rest.

I'd already done those (I've been putting in guys non stop, haha, including LBs etc.)

Preston Smith is mid-low risk: .98 explosion; 1.08 twitch (scored under 1.1 in twitch, but over 7.0s in 3 cone)
Zadarius smith is high risk: .89 power; 1.29 twitch

Interestingly, Henry Anderson also scores mid-low risk, because of outstanding twitch for his size: (.94 power; .85 twitch)

What are your risks measuring?

What are your risks measuring?

This is from a guy a few years ago on footballsfuture who did a statistical analysis of various metrics compared to player peformance for edge rushers.  He catergories their performance into Pro Bowl, Current Starter, Current Backup, Out of league, Injury/Bust, but you really only need to look at Pro Bowl to see how amazing it is.  Basically, the guys he has as high risk are all out of the league or busts (headed by Vernon Gholston); the guys he has as low risk are almost all pro-bowlers - and the numbers took him there. Connor Barwin and Justin Houston are among those that were drafted well below where their projections, based on his his formulas, would put them.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=439601

I'm just punching in new guys using his spreadsheet/formulas.

This is from a guy a few years ago on footballsfuture who did a statistical analysis of various metrics compared to player peformance for edge rushers.  He catergories their performance into Pro Bowl, Current Starter, Current Backup, Out of league, Injury/Bust, but you really only need to look at Pro Bowl to see how amazing it is.  Basically, the guys he has as high risk are all out of the league or busts (headed by Vernon Gholston); the guys he has as low risk are almost all pro-bowlers - and the numbers took him there. Connor Barwin and Justin Houston are among those that were drafted well below where their projections, based on his his formulas, would put them.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=439601

I'm just punching in new guys using his spreadsheet/formulas.

Gotcha. Thanks!

It's like you're reading my mind.

When I asked about the Smith Brothers...(cough)...I wanted to include Anderson, but didn't know how much time it would take.

FWIW when I was scanning the spreadsheet I reminded myself how the Bengals love to draft "core players" in the 3rd and 4th round and at first glance those were the three names that jumped out as missing.

Thanks.

Last, in my best Mike Mayoch voice I now state I will NOT be watching more tape on Frank Clark. (I read his bio instead.)

Since I keep getting the same question, here's my answer ... No, I can't see #Bengals signing both Michael Johnson and Nick Fairley.

MJ isn't going to get nearly the same amount he got in Tampa, so I'd guess that would depend on price.

That said I'd rather have Fairley

It's like you're reading my mind.

Haha, yeah, well, we DO have a profile for the kinds of guys we like.  What's so interesting with Anderson is that kind of twitch with that kind of weight.  I don't know what his body shape is like but it leads me to ask what might happen if he were to shed some weight.  You could assume a raise in a couple of his numbers which might quickly translate to a big explosion jump too.

One thing that also occurs to me is an amazing article I read a year or two ago about Stanford's football strength program. They basically don't lift any weights, or do much of the conventional stuff that other teams do, focusing instead on a certain kind of functional strength and flexibility that emphasizes avoiding injury.  Point being, I think it's safe to say that some of these stanford guys could have some upside, and one of the things that jumps out to me about Anderson is his reputation on and off the field.

Lastly, and perhaps most significantly, is that he might be flying a bit under the raider because of an injury that took him out last year.  Here's how he did as a soph:

New defensive coordinator Lance Anderson (no relation) hopes his star pupil returns to the form that helped him earned second-team honors in 2012 while racking up 13 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks.

So far we have signed Hawk and our guys and that's it and it already feels like we are out of money

Just to note the bengals chose to structure Rey's contract for 7 mil cap hit when the could easily structure the same payments to be 3/4 mil less.

No offense, but... horse shit.

I'll bet anything you like that there are multiple players signed between now and the draft.

It depends on what your definition of "players" is.  In my mind the guy has to be a starter.  

So, CincyJungle is making it sound like we are full-go on trying to get MJ then moving back to Fairley.

Maybe if we strike out on both...

kraken3.jpg

As soon as MJ was officially released, Fairley took a backseat.  Bengals made MJ their #1 priority as soon as he was released.  I'd rather have Fairley, but MJ would be a nice add.  

So stupid. Cut Leon and Peko and get them fucking both.

You can have all 4. They don't need rookie pool until July. They don't need injury pad until well injuries happen.

Not to mention the rookie pool can provide cap savings if a rookie bumps a high veteran cap number.

Just to note Rey could have counted 3/4 against the cap instead of 7 without paying him less.

Boling counts an extra 2 against the cap because they will pay him 2.5 mil in 4 days and they chose to call it roster bonus.

Archived