Who would you rather have? Fairley or MJ

52 members have voted

1. 1. Fairley or MJ?

• Fairley
    • MJ

Fairley, due to the boom potential, but his bust potential scares me a bit, though certainly not as much as it did when he was drafted.  Detroit's DC praised Fairley's work ethic and said that he had kept himself in shape while recovering from an injury this past year, that would have allowed him to play had they beaten Dallas.   In the past, per the DC, Fairley would have gotten out of shape and put on weight, but that didn't happen.  Actions are proving that Fairley may be 'getting it'?  

I do like MJ though, would love to have both (not the Bengal way apparently) but if I had to pick one or the other, it would be Fairley.  MJ is steady, he will give you close to what you think you will get out of him.  Fairey could end up being dominant, or very mediocre....it's up to him as the talent in there no doubt.  

Fairly. MJ has never shown me he can be the type of guy that can do it on his own, he needs to be playing alongside good players who can take on double teams to free him up. We can get other DEs like that, and may have one on the roster already. At least with Fairly I know he is currently better than Peko and imo Thompson and would instantly upgrade that spot even if he didn't play up to his potential, but if he did play up to his potential having him next to a Geno Atkins who hopefully would be back to normal after being able to do strength and conditioning this offseason where he couldnt last one, would be nasty.

Oh and in a perfect world they would restructure Hall, cut Peko and sign both. That is possible, I'm just not sure its something they would do given how they usually handle their contracts.

In a perfect world??...you mean like at the majority of NFL front offices?

So far, this has been one of the most disappointing free agencies in recent memory. My jadedness with the team is beginning to reach levels not felt since that disastrous Marvin Lewis contract renewal and press conference 5 years ago.

Its so fucking aggravating that the team blatantly does not want to produce a SuperBowl caliber team. They dont, and there is NO WAY anyone can possibly argue otherwise. They are exceptionally content being 12th runner up 4 years in a row. They dont even try to get to 8th runner up. They look at fan passion and shit on our faces. They see other teams that are on the cusp of being SuperBowl quality doing everything possible to improve, and say "nah. That doesnt work, these elite teams have no idea what they are doing, but we do. 4Peat".

I'm starting to not give a shit about Fairley at this point, and never really gave a fuck about mediocre Michael Johnson. Hes not the answer at all to the pass rush problems, and is a third tier FA judging by his last few years.

But hey, what do I know. I'm just a dude who has watched every playoff game and have seen virtually zero pressure as other teams QBs (sometimes 3rd string rookies) slice and dice this defense and blow out the Bengals once again.

I know people like Kenneth love the fact that the Bengals are perennial playoff clowns, but its not good enough for me, and it shouldnt be good enough for anyone else at this point. The level of smugness and complacency that this front office exudes is unheard of in the business world. If this organization wasnt protected by the NFL and its massive profit stream and was just a regular company, they would have gone out of business 20 years ago. They are the taxi cab company of the NFL, and the Colts, and Seahawks, and Patriots, and Broncos are Uber- and they are ready to crush the Bengals with a far more superior product.

/rant.

Fuck the mediocrity.

I wanted Fairly earlier and the lifeI think about it and read about him I don't want him. Also MJ isn't what he's hyped to be.

I agree neither are superstars but they would be replacing garden gnomes thus improving the d line significantly.

Fairly is a ram.... 1 year 5 million... Don't understand how we didn't offer him better then that.. 2 year 9-10 million should have done it.

It was 1 year, $5M with another $2.5M in incentives that are rumored to be around staying healthy. So more like a $7.5M deal. And he took one year over two so he could hopefully build up his value for a bigger contract next offseason. Doubt he was interested in doing multiple years at this price. 

I thought he was worth $5-6M so I guess it depends upon the specifics of the incentives as to whether it was a good deal or not for the Rams. 

Always a big red flag though when the team a guy is leaving has cap room, a need at the position and still doesn't make him a serious offer.

Archived