U.S. Veteran Wraps Baby in American Flag, Photo Sparks Controversy

Go Skins

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/03/12/is-photo-baby-in-flag-patriotic-or-disgraceful/

A picture of a newborn being cradled in Old Glory has put a Virginia photographer in a flag flap over whether the image is patriotic or disgraceful.

Vanessa Hicks, 29, has been taking family photos as part of her small business for about a year, and when two new parents with ties to the military approached her about snapping a picture of their baby, they searched for something patriotic. Searching Pinterest, they came across photos of children and the American flag, and knew they had the right image.

The photo shows the baby being cradled in the flag, which is held by the boy’s father, Rodney Clevenger, a sailor.

Hicks, as is her custom with professional photos that she takes, posted the image to her business’s Facebook page on Sunday.

"In no way, shape or form was I trying to do anything but take a picture for a family,” Hicks told FoxNews.com on Thursday, adding that she’s taken photos that have respectfully displayed the American flag before. "I was doing my job. I didn't put it out there for the media or anyone to judge it."

But a Facebook group that dishes out criticism of photo mistakes – and believes the flag was used disrespectfully in Hicks’ image -- didn’t see things that way.

“This flag is a symbol of everything my son died for many years ago. It was of the utmost honor to have a flag laid upon your coffin as my son did. That honor is taken away when disrespectful photographers throw our flag code out the window,” says a message appearing on the page of “You Call Yourself a Photographer?” “Mr. Clevenger, you have disgraced our fallen soldiers as well by disobeying that code.”

The next day, Hicks’ Facebook page and business were overrun by criticism of the image. She said some of the vitriol, which she described as cyberbullying, suggested that she should go kill herself.

635616035850496074-flag-picture.JPG

I'm guessing the the people pissed about this would be pissed about the ass flag too.

There is so much stupid in the US today.  Folks can wear the US flag on their ass, but you cant cradle a baby in it?  WTF!

As someone who served in the Army, and specifically performed Color Guard duties (it was a rotating base detail with units offering volunteers to fill it, I was always proud to do so). I would like to say these people need some therapy.. Does it perhaps violate the letter of the flag protocols by not using it as "decoration" or to "carry any item" maybe, but I feel that the spirit of the rules are not violated, and in a way think this is actually kind of poetic and beautiful.

What better symbolism for our flag (which in turn represents our "unalienable rights" and our constitution) than a cradle both protecting and supporting our children and thus our future?

In short.. Some people are just pissed off and it's easier nowadays for them to fan their enflamed assholes at the world to our collective chagrins..

They probably also have strong opinions about Ford vs. Chevy and whether Miller Lite is less filling or tastes great.

Serious bidness.

Miller Lite is less filling and if anyone disagrees we can settle this usual way..

After finding out that the photog was a black lady I understand the back lash, how dare that black lady try to use the flag as a prop for a photo session without the express written consent of a real american white person. Of course racism doesn't exist in this post racial society but that black lady should have known better, getting all uppity with her fancy picture taking machine. 

Archived