* Add some DGB to your Green *

59 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be ok with DGB in Rd 1?

• Hell yeah!
    • possibly, depending on who's there
    • No

I think the most glaring weakness on the Bengals right now is at WR. Despite the impassioned pleas from the fan base, Marvin believes in Dalton and no change is coming at QB. So to me, that means the only solution is to fix the weakness at WR. The Bengals have one of the best RB backfields in the NFL, and a solid OL. So what gives? To me the two weak spots on offense are related to QB and WR. If you can’t fix one, then you have to fix the other. Dalton is a manageable QB I believe if he has talented WR’s (taller the better since he throws high) who can make up for some of his arm strength deficiencies.

However, I’m not sure that beyond AJ Green, that any of the Bengals WR’s would start on many of the elite teams in the NFL. I fear that neither Sanu nor Jones are a true #2, and that at best they are both complimentary 3rd WR’s who can have an occasional big play if AJ is drawing all of the coverage to his side of the field. With possibly losing a 6'5 catching target in Gresham, the need for a dynamic 6'6 receiver is all the more the clear to me. Imagine what AJ could possibly do if he had a true #2 next to him with similar size and speed, and the defense couldn’t roll all of their coverage to his side of the field. To me it would be a game changer for the Bengals offense, which would cover up for Dalton and prevent 8 defenders in the box, which would boost the Bengals primary strength as an offense which is their running game and offensive line.

With all that said, to me there is 1 player that the Bengals could take at #21 who would make the biggest impact on this team next season. To me, he is DGB, aka Dorial Green-Beckham, the 6’6, 225 lb Missouri/Oklahoma Wide Receiver who many have often compared to AJ Green.

DGB has top 5 pick size and speed (4.49). He’s 2 inches taller than AJ, and maybe a little faster. If he wasn’t such a knucklehead off the field, I think he’d be a top 5 pick for sure in the same way that AJ was for the Bengals. Rather than being a replacement for AJ (should he not sign his mega contract extension) I see him as a compliment, and a truly dangerous 1-2 punch that could possibly get the Bengals over the hump in the next few years (even with Dalton at QB). This would also allow the Bengals to not have to overpay for Sanu or Jones should either of them get the wrong impression that they are worth starter money come free agency next offseason (hint: they’re not). Sanu might even be a better QB than he is a WR imo.

As for Mock Drafts, they have had DGB going everywhere from the late 20’s to the Ravens (would be a nightmare) to the late teens to teams that need a WR. I’m not 100% sure he will be there at pick #21, but if he is, to me he is a no-brainer pick, regardless of who is on the board. In fact, he’d be #1 on my board overall regardless of when the Bengals picked.   

* If the Bengals did miss out on DGB, then I would strongly consider Michigan WR/TE hybrid Devin Funchess in Rd 2, who has similar size at 6’5 and recently improved his slow combine 40 time of 4.7 into the 4.4’s at his pro day.

missouri-green-beckham.jpg

(just toss it up there Andy)

2552491.jpg

Dorial Green-Beckham

• 6'6" Height
  • 32 1/2" Arm Length
  • 237 LBS
  • 9" Hands

Strengths: Imposing physical specimen with outstanding height, weight and speed numbers. Smooth, effortless strides to chomp up cushion and blow by overconfident corners. Runs routes with forward lean and can activate second gear when he chooses. Rare catch radius with ability to pluck would-be interceptions and turn them into catches. Has soft, sure hands. Can see a throw late and still haul it in. Able to drive cornerbacks down the field and then break route off for wide-open look underneath. Shows flashes of special ability when ball is in the air. Plus body control. Can twist and contort in any direction in order to get his hands on a throw.

Weaknesses: Play strength is a major concern. Struggles to free himself from press coverage and can be taken completely out of his routes. Runs sloppy, rounded routes. Fails to set up his breaks and frequently leads cornerbacks to his destination. Slow to adjust routes and find open space against zone. Fails to create the separation that is potentially available for him at top of routes. Rarely looks to body up cornerbacks and keep them out of the throw. Suspect work ethic. Awareness of footwork near sideline an issue. Considered a problem child at Missouri. Suspended twice by Missouri and arrested twice for marijuana-related incidents. Kicked off team at Missouri in April 2014 after details of his alleged role in an alleged burglary were released by Columbia, Mo., police. He allegedly shoved a female student down some stairs during the alleged incident, but no charges were filed. Missed entire 2014 season.

Sources Tell Us: "I think the consistent problems for Josh Gordon are going to leak over and hurt his draft stock. He couldn't keep himself out of trouble, had no structure growing up and didn't take coaching at Missouri. He's tall and fast and has good hands, but he can't be trusted. Why would you take a guy like that before the third day?" -- NFC director of personnel

NFL Comparison: Justin Hunter

Bottom Line: Long-strider with vertical ability to change a game and the catch radius and body control to make the difficult look easy. However, Green-Beckham struggles against physical cornerbacks, and is raw as a route runner with poor instincts when it comes to getting open. It's easy to bet on the traits when a receiver has high football character and is a willing worker, but teams could pass on the traits early in the draft due to his perceived lack of work ethic and overall character.

For those of you enamored with Bud Dupree the DE from Kentucky (#2) ... him and DGB have met on the field before ... and for those who think a DE can affect a game more than a dominant WR, I give you the highlights ...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goV-jiFjywc[/media]

Pass rush... LB...

I believe that LB is more pressing than the pass rush, especially if Michael Johnson can be signed (as I think he and Dunlap make up a proven dynamic duo). The one LB I would consider at #21 would be MLB Benardrick McKinney out of Miss St. but I think DGB would make more of an impact if available.

To me it comes down to is Margus Hunt (backup DE) better than Brandon Tate or Sanzenbacher (backup WR)? I think he is.

DGB was the No. 1 high school football recruit nationwide as a senior. I think Dre Kirkpatrick might also have been when he came out of HS.

Two of the experts — ESPN's Todd McShay and CBS Sports' Pete Prisco — have him in the No. 18 spot, going to Kansas City. Baltimore at No. 26 overall is another popular pick.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/03/11/dgb-goes-another-audition-ou-pro-day/70175460/

I could get behind this.. And then if wright proves himself a bit more, you could even save money by not resigning jones and sanu... Depending on how everything plays out. Not that the bengals would do anything with the savings.

It's hard right now for me to be excited about anything with this team. The disappointment in them for not fixing the defensive line by plugging in a top notch difference maker just really makes it hard to care about anything these inept fucks do.

I don't hate the idea of a WR early. I don't trust DGB though. Sounds like a clown off the field. And Funchess is super soft and probably will be a bust.

If Parker, Cooper or White fell to 21 somehow, I'd love one of those 3. Probably like Jaelen Strong a little better than DGB as well. 

im not sure any team has 3 better receivers than Green Sanu and Jones... let alone if you add the weapons of Eifert and Hill and Bernard.... 

we could have signed dex bryant and andre johnson and it wouldnt change anything...

glaring weakness?  give me a break.

At first I was all aboard but a lot of reports are saying this guy is going to have to spend a lot of time on the training field before he has any success. If we go WR in round 1, I hope it's Parker, but I don't think he gets that far.

The guy's a fuck up.  With that said, if you could promise me that he'd keep his head on straight, I'd at least consider it.  Unfortunately, you can't.  It'll be funny when Cleveland drafts him to relive the glory days of Josh Gordon.  Shit... I should've voted no instead of maybe.

Archived