Pete Rose has filed for reinstatement

Jamie_B

My opinion is unchanged.

As long as he never bet against his team, I don't care.

If it can be proven he EVER bet against his team, as a player or manager, ban him forever.

Nope, sorry. He bet on baseball, as a player, and incessantly lied about it. And the final nail in the coffin for me was the fact that Bart G. offered him full clemency if he would simply own up and get treatment for his disease. He refused. He will never get in the Hall, and I am OK with that.

And he technically is banned forever already.  Just sayin'...

My opinion is unchanged.

As long as he never bet against his team, I don't care.

If it can be proven he EVER bet against his team, as a player or manager, ban him forever.

2 reasons it doesn't matter if he bet against the reds. 1. If he bet on them one game but not the next, it would make a strong case for others to bet against them. Pretty much the same thing as not betting on them. 2. Even if he didn't bet against them he still could have been compromised to throw games in order to even up with the mob on his losses.

It would be interesting to see what the teams record was in the games he bet on them vs the games he didn't.

Also how can you believe he didn't bet on the reds, because he said he didn't? He's been caught lying repeatedly. No more evidence is needed case should be closed. At the end of the day who cares though. The two rings are more important that any individual glory IMO as a fan. Now if they took the championship away I'd be pissed.

Very convenient that ESPN just happened to get this info from 29 years ago three weeks before the ASG that Pete is being honored at and while working for Fox. 

Should he be involved in a franchise? No. Should he be in the HOF? Yes because all that should matter is what a player does on the field or a coach as a coach or a GM/owner as a GM/owner. Not what they do in their free time good or bad.

Baseball lost me as a fan a while ago so oh well. There is no integrity in that sport that tries to live on its high horse. It is a joke of a league and joke of a sport at this point. I was a die hard baseball > everything fan 10 years ago and now I wouldn't care if the sport disappeared from Earth.

Very convenient that ESPN just happened to get this info from 29 years ago three weeks before the ASG that Pete is being honored at and while working for Fox.

The usual dirtbag move from ESPN. Fabricate or create news, not report the news.

Nor do I but I wonder how the voters will react to someone that actually cheated at the game.

I don't believe McGuire and Sosa have fared well in the HOF voting, have they? <-- Honest question

And if the sportswriters don't put them in, I highly doubt that a group of HOF players who did not cheat are going to vote them (or the other cheaters) in.

Personally, I don't care if he bet on games as a player. Never once did he do anything on the field other than bust his rump trying to win. He deserves to be in the HOF as a player, period.

x2

What happens when all these steroid & HGH mf'ers get nominated?

They won't get in, but honestly a huge portion of the league was on them. I have no problem with them getting in and neither did baseball at the time. They promoted the hell out of it.

I don't believe McGuire and Sosa have fared well in the HOF voting, have they? <-- Honest question

And if the sportswriters don't put them in, I highly doubt that a group of HOF players who did not cheat are going to vote them (or the other cheaters) in.

McGwire got 10% and Sosa got 6.6%. They aren't getting in. (Bonds got 36.8%)

I think the only big home run hitter from that era that gets in anytime soon is Junior.

Making his achievements even more impressive is he was doing this off pitchers who were probably on steroids. Remarkable talent.

He needs to be the first 100% player elected. Anyone that thinks Junior doesn't belong in the HOF is flat out wrong and needs their voting privileges revoked.

McGwire got 10% and Sosa got 6.6%. They aren't getting in. (Bonds got 36.8%)

I think the only big home run hitter from that era that gets in anytime soon is Junior.

Making his achievements even more impressive is he was doing this off pitchers who were probably on steroids. Remarkable talent.

He needs to be the first 100% player elected. Anyone that thinks Junior doesn't belong in the HOF is flat out wrong and needs their voting privileges revoked.

Yes, yes, 1,000X yes. Rose would have been the first 100% inductee but so much for that. Junior is the best player in my lifetime, no doubt...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, yes, 1,000X yes. Rose would have been the first 100% inductee but so much for that. Junior is the best player in my lifetime, no doubt...

Rose would not have been a 100% and I'm not convinced Junior will be either.

Junior: There are voters who will not vote for a guy in his first year just because they won't, in part because they don't want anyone to get 100%. 

Pete: A lot of people considered him a jerk, and there would have been a few writers not to vote for him for that alone, not to mention my reason for Junior.

As for the steroid guys, I would not vote for Bonds, but I would not be terribly upset if he did get in.  Even before he started juicing he was a HoF caliber player IMO.

That's the most frustrating thing to me about Bonds.

He didn't need the roids, he was a HOF talent without them.

They won't get in, but honestly a huge portion of the league was on them. I have no problem with them getting in and neither did baseball at the time. They promoted the hell out of it.

Yeah, that's a good point.  Gaylord Perry threw spitballs for 20 years and he's in the Hall. The pro sports have no problem turning a blind eye to cheating when it helps the bottom line. It is kinda bullshit to punish the players when the league & media were more than happy to look the other way when it actually mattered.

He wants to meet Bryce Harper:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/07/13/pete-rose-has-never-met-bryce-harper-he-wants-to-fix-that/

Even if Major League Baseball must keep him at arm’s length, Pete Rose and the endless discussion around Pete Rose will frequently be at the center of Tuesday night’s All-Star Game in Cincinnati. He will walk from behind home plate at Great American Ball Park during a pregame ceremony. He will provide analysis for the FOX broadcast. In his home city, Rose’s presence will be unavoidable.

Rose hopes to gain an audience with Commissioner Rob Manfred as he attempts another shot at reinstatement. Rose’s relationship with baseball goes beyond his own status, though, and there is another figure he hopes to meet this week in Cincinnati: Even though Rose lives in Las Vegas, he has never met Sin City native Bryce Harper.

“I’m looking forward to meeting Bryce Harper,” Rose said last week at an appearance in Normal, Ill. “I almost met him a couple weeks ago, but they were on the field taking batting practice.”

• 2 months later...

Archived